The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-02-2023, 10:13 AM

Default NAD - EV Everse 8, ?'s on all those settings

Based on a lot of feedback here on AGF, I purchased the Electro-Voice Everse 8, which arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon. I took a stab at the menu on the speaker last night and found the lack of a detailed owners manual (and old age) really frustrating in trying to understand how to use the settings to maximize the sound.

The primary purpose for the speaker will be to use in front of 40-60 people at various senior living facilities. It will go up on a tripod, with the signal path as follows: two acoustic guitars with pickups - Soundcraft Notepad 8 mixer - Everse 8. Also: three mics (I use a dynamic, the other two mics are condensers) - Soundcraft Notepad 8 mixer - Everse 8.

So......much of the DSP will take place at the mixer and if that is the case, any suggestions for settings on the speaker? For example, which setting is recommended between "Live" and "Music"? What about "Mixer" vs. "Basic"?

And what is the difference between "Main PEQ" and Main "GEQ"? And once determined what the difference is between "PEQ and "GEQ", what settings are recommended in the submenu?

Sorry if I'm coming off as frustrated but it's lame that Electro-Voice provides a barebones manual with no explanation or guidance as to how to go about getting the best results from their product. I don't want to give up on the Everse 8 and end up swapping it out for the Bose S1, but keeping it is pointless if I can't understand how to take advantage of what it offers.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:56 AM

The PEQ/GEQ don’t have to be used. They allow you to find tune the speaker at specific points of frequency. It’s useful if you want to add a hi pass fuller to kill lies you don’t use.

Those modes just affect the sound. Club has more bass, music and live are similar to me but music I believe sounds better for recorded music. Speech just kills all the lows for talking to be amplified. I always keep it on mixer.

Overall the speaker has a lot of uses. Because of its adjustability I like it way more than the Bose. Regarding your question of which settings to use, I just do what sounds best. They say to use live for live music, but it’s not doing something insanely special. Just put settings where they sound best, that also goes for tripod or kickback mode.
Old 02-02-2023, 10:57 AM

I'm often frustrated with this stuff too and I'm an IT guy for like 1,000 years. so it aint just you.

Something that should be intuitive, right?

A word to the wise... Stay the heck away from protools! LOL!

anyway,

check on youtbue, and search for Electro-Voice Everse 8 Tutorials There's a few promising looking links.

I have two s1s

they are PLUG AND PLAY, but they have their short comings using them with out a mixing console (which is what I use them with)

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-02-2023, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
Sorry if I'm coming off as frustrated but it's lame that Electro-Voice provides a barebones manual with no explanation or guidance as to how to go about getting the best results from their product. I don't want to give up on the Everse 8 and end up swapping it out for the Bose S1, but keeping it is pointless if I can't understand how to take advantage of what it offers.
Oh, it's lame, virtually all Everse (and 30m/50m) users agree. As good as the PAs are, the documentation is bad i.e. almost nonexistent.

If you're routing everything through your outboard mixer, I'd set the function to Basic, which I expect sets everything flat. All the various settings on the Speaker, Main and individual channels have different EQ profiles and when you go to Basic I have to assume all that is flatted out. It turns it into the small-PA equivalent of the Evolve 50, which doesn't have an internal mixer.

Re Music and Live, I assume Music is for recorded music, while Live is for what you're doing, live performance. But again I think if you go Basic, whatever those behind the scenes EQ settings are, I'd assume, flat.

I only learned of the PEQ settings recently, good luck to you sir. My main advice to new users is probably obvious but it wasn't to me: There are three places you can mute, the Speaker, Main, and individual channels (and four if you are using a line out of Aux, otherwise ignore), so if you suddenly aren't making sound, check each one.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:37 AM
Charter Member

As noted in another thread,I also recently received the Everse 8.

Like you,I was initially baffled by the so called menus.

The written manual is useless and actually more confusing.

I don't have an outboard mixer.Just by intuition and some fiddling with the controls used for the LCD I was able to dial in a very decent sound for both the guitar and voice.

Having owned a Bose S1 for several years,I have found this Everse to be better in terms of loudness, effects and a superior vocal channel.

Gabe
Old 02-03-2023, 11:59 AM

I would agree with this. The Bose is incredibly plug and play but the Everse is so much more shapeable. Add a mid cut, and adjust bass and treble and it sounds similar to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitargabor View Post
As noted in another thread,I also recently received the Everse 8.

Like you,I was initially baffled by the so called menus.

The written manual is useless and actually more confusing.

I don't have an outboard mixer.Just by intuition and some fiddling with the controls used for the LCD I was able to dial in a very decent sound for both the guitar and voice.

Having owned a Bose S1 for several years,I have found this Everse to be better in terms of loudness, effects and a superior vocal channel.

Gabe
Old 02-05-2023, 02:53 PM

Just got back from a 3 hour rehearsal trying out the Everse 8. The good; the thing gets plenty loud and sounds really good for such a small and light speaker. The not so good; we are no closer to being able to understand how to access and navigate its settings.

If it didn't sound as good as it does I would return it, and I still might. I'm concerned about bringing it to a gig, having sound issues, mic feedback or just wanting to make basic tone adjustments and being unable to do so under the pressure of a live performance.

Earlier in life I spend some time in consumer electronics so I am very familiar with manufacturers' owners manuals written as an after thought. But the manual that comes with this thing takes that "lack of consideration for the consumer that just plunked down their hard earned cash to by your product" to a whole nother level.....
Old 02-05-2023, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekie View Post
....Earlier in life I spend some time in consumer electronics so I am very familiar with manufacturers' owners manuals written as an after thought. But the manual that comes with this thing takes that "lack of consideration for the consumer that just plunked down their hard earned cash to by your product" to a whole nother level.....
Yes, the manual sections concerning the DSP are nothing but a table of options likely constructed by the programmers who are themselves the target audience. Despite that I was able to figure out in my own how to set and save very basic settings that made my guitar and vocals sound good. I made a few modifications in the GSP section - admittedly hard to find - and then cut mids and boosted bass a bit on the vocal and much channels. Pick the preset for each channel, the location type for the speaker, then save the setting - again, still hard to remember where to find on the menu.

During a gig I imagine I'd simply go to the apps Mixer settings and fine tune bass mud treble and gain as needed. It doesn't seem much different than having to mute my 330x, turn it toward me, and make knob adjustments. If I save settings for my three differently-
-pickuped guitars, it should actually be easier. Unless, of course, the Bluetooth connection drops. My old eyes don't do that well with the little screen on the back panel.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley

Last edited by lpa53; 02-05-2023 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:21 AM

Did anybody experimented with the various vocal presets and tell me the difference between them?
Gibson SJ200,Martin OM28V,D18GE custom,000-18 2015,J12-15,Yamaha L25A,L20A,FG350W,FG441S-12,SLG200S,Taylor GSMini mahogany,National M1 tricone,Eastman E10ss/v,Gretch Honey Dipper,Harp Guitar,FenderStratocaster,Line 6 300/600/700 acoustic,W Rees Aberdeen meadows Harp,Fullsicle Harp,2 sitars,more instruments and guitars
Old 02-06-2023, 01:58 PM

Personally I don’t get the complaints. I can get up from the drums, press the button and change the eq in like five seconds. The PEQ stuff is just something you gotta mess with.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification