The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-02-2023, 02:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
Hi folks. I am rarely, almost never, on this section of the forum, but need advice on a microphone. I'm looking for a good, not necessarily top-of-the-line, mic for recording or working small venues. Your input is appreciated.

Frank
Is this for vocals or guitar or both?

I have more than 50 microphones and would try to find a used AKG C535 in your situation. That’s THE allrounder for gigging and recording all kind of sources.

For just live vocals I mostly use a Sennheiser e935 and MD531. I have 2 SM58 and I’m happy with those as well. They just need a little different EQ.

For just guitar, I’d look at small diaphragm mics like a Lewitt LCT140 or the cheap MXL603 (but those might be a little too bright).
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 02-02-2023, 08:36 AM

Put me down for the old standby Shure SM58 for vocals and SM57 for instruments.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-02-2023, 08:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
I was also under this impression but was disavowed of it recently.

It's cardioid.

Senn website

The e935 and the se V7 would be top of my list.

However, voices, vocal styles and performance situations are unique and recommendations can only be general advice.

One question - I think everyone is assuming this is a vocal mic we're talking about, is that correct?
I stand corrected! I'll fix that on my earlier post later today.
Old 02-03-2023, 07:43 PM

As someone who grew up on 58s and 57s and who has a variety of mics that I use for different reasons, I’d really like the BLUE enCORE 300 for your application. It has a clarity and presence that bridges the gap extremely well. I like the BLUE enCORE 200 on my live vocals. But it doesn’t have the recorded clarity of the 300.
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 02-04-2023, 09:49 AM

I'm a big fan of my Sennheiser E835 - sounds way better to me than a 58, at similar pricing. I snagged mine used on Reverb for $65.
1987 Peavey Patriot bass
Old 02-04-2023, 10:42 AM

As both a performer and live-sound mixer I like the 58. I like the way the proximity effect works, and the way it's intelligible without having to be bright. And the pattern is forgiving enough that people who sneak peeks at the guitar neck (just about everyone) don't sound off-mic when they do it. For me, the Shure Betas and the Sennheiser 935 and 945 are bright enough that they put too much sizzle into the average club PA's terrible tweeters, and the pattern on the 945 is too tight to be practical if you're not working handheld.

Also, it's like guitar picks. Now I have my favorite and I can order them by the grillion. But back in the day when I was on the road a lot, you could get Fender Mediums most anywhere so I learned to work with Fender Mediums. Out in Club Land, what they've got is mainly the 58. You'll do yourself a big favor if you get comfy with it.

Couch Standards
Old 02-04-2023, 01:05 PM

Does no one (other than me) use the Shure SM7B?
Dead smooth…..I know many use it for pod casting but it has proven to be a very nice mic for singing. If it were lost or stolen I would replace it….
Old 02-06-2023, 12:59 PM

In the studio I think the SM7b sounds a little better than the 58. Onstage, I think the difference is so negligible that there's no point in spending 3X as much for something you have to screw onto a stand and can't be handheld.

Couch Standards
Old 02-06-2023, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

I have the Sennheiser e835 as well as Shure SM58. I slightly prefer the 835.

Based on this thread I just did order a cheap Berringe, so thanks. Good to have a backup.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi folks. I am rarely, almost never, on this section of the forum, but need advice on a microphone. I'm looking for a good, not necessarily top-of-the-line, mic for recording or working small venues. Your input is appreciated.

Frank
Well, I read Frank's post and thought that he wanted to mic' his guitar on stage. But everyone else read it as a mic' for vocals!

Anyway, a 58 works fine for vocals. I used a 58 for vocals and the house small diaphragm condenser for my D-18 on Friday night and it worked just fine in the bar where I was playing.

They are going to soften the wall behind the stage at that venue soon,. Once that's done then a single stage mic' like the eartrumpet or a Rode NT1a (cheap!) may well work, even with the Friday night crowd.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-07-2023, 08:03 AM

Default Microphone advise

I was an SM58 fan for a long time but recently switched to the e835. Def like it better.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:00 PM

The old EV N/D 357 or 457 are Shure SM 58 killers and can be had for cheap, used. I use them for everything from vocals to drums to guitar amps.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

Smile EV

Hey Frank

I am very happy with my EV 767 NDs. Excellent feedback rejection, and they are HOT. Very robust too, and sound a lot like a nice condenser even though they are dynamic mics.

Highly recommended

Happy National Guitar Day

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-12-2023, 05:09 PM

I get compliments on my Audix OM5s. I discovered my Sennheisers work better with my particular voice, so am using them for myself more now. For others, I'll use the Audix unless the performer has particular needs.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Frank
I've been using a Rode NT1 for exactly that purpose for 2-3 decades now. I also have a pair od cS1000s, and a box full of neglected and unloved SM58s
I use tohave a matched pair of SE1, whic were very good but I lent them to a friend. who absconed with them.
The Rode!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification