The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-01-2023, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

Default Microphone advise

Hi folks. I am rarely, almost never, on this section of the forum, but need advice on a microphone. I'm looking for a good, not necessarily top-of-the-line, mic for recording or working small venues. Your input is appreciated.

Frank
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 02-01-2023, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transylvania View Post
Hi folks. I am rarely, almost never, on this section of the forum, but need advice on a microphone. I'm looking for a good, not necessarily top-of-the-line, mic for recording or working small venues. Your input is appreciated.

Frank
For recording I much prefer a condenser mic, but if you're looking for something to haul around to live gigs just pick up a rediculously inexpensive Behringer XM8500 dynamic microphone. Seriously. Check the user reviews on these, and they cost about as much as going out and getting yourself dinner somewhere.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

If I remember correctly, that Behrhinger is highly recommended as a Shure SM58 substitute. I've never used the Behringer but just about everyone including me has sung into the 58 and it's a solid, reliable workhorse and crazy durable. $99 at Sweetwater.

One drawback of the 58 is its proximity effect--when you get really close to the mic, the bass deepens and it can sound muddy. I experimented with a variety of mics and ended up using the Sennheiser e935, also popular around here. It just seems to suit my voice and has less proximity effect. $199 at the moment at Sweetwater and elsewhere.

It's cardioid, like the SM58. I believe the progression is cardioid/super cardioid/hyper cardiod in terms of increasingly tight cones to sing into. The tighter that pattern, the closer attention you have to pay to singing into the mic.

These are all dynamic mics, which most live giggers use, since they are less prone to feedback, but some folks favor condensers for live gigs. I use a Rode NT1-A for recording and wouldn't dream of using it live.

Last edited by Chriscom; 02-02-2023 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Fixed comment about the e935's cardioid pattern, and associated text.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:53 AM

For live performance, I second the Shure microphones. SM58 or SM57. Great vocal and instrument reproduction respectively and an industry standard for decades.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:55 AM

People make different things work for them, their priorities and their playing situations.

Knowing little about your particulars -- and if you're starting out, you may not know for sure either -- there's a lot to be said for the Shure SM57 or Beta 57. The Beta has a bit more output level and maybe just a bit more upper midrange.

Durable, not overly expensive, and they can mic any instrument and do a credible job if placed right. Underrated as a vocal mic, particularly if you're not dealing with a soft voiced, low volume singer.

One classic advantage of the SM57, if you get into things deeper, you'll always find a use for an SM57 even after you get more mics.

Alternatively, there are tons of Asian-made medium to large bodied condenser microphones out there. Not as rugged as the SM57, but not everyone has issues with equipment accidents etc. Some will prefer them on their voice, and they will do a good job on picking up upper-end detail from an acoustic guitar. They can be used live assuming you don't have issues with feedback with the more sensitive nature of condenser mics.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-01-2023, 11:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
People make different things work for them, their priorities and their playing situations.

Knowing little about your particulars -- and if you're starting out, you may not know for sure either -- there's a lot to be said for the Shure SM57 or Beta 57. The Beta has a bit more output level and maybe just a bit more upper midrange.
A friend of mine who runs a 4-piece cover band loves his Beta 57A. It's super-cardiod btw.

By the way, I've read that the only difference between the SM57 and SM58 is the steel-mesh grille--so, a bit of a pop filter though I use foam covers for much better protection against that, regardless of mic. You can certainly sing into the 57 if you have better mic technique than I do! But it's usually pitched as more of an instrument mic.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:14 AM

You can get a SE V7 for around a hundred bucks which sounds way better than the SM58 and has great feedback rejection.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:36 PM

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
This has an on/off switch. And you can use earphones to monitor yourself life while recording via USB. Works very well as a standard dynamic mic with XLR connector too.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

SM57 or similar dynamic mic with a cardioid pattern is my vote, though I would want to know more about the specifics of what you'd be plugging into, the venues, and type of playing, perhaps, to refine that thought.

I used Beta 57a's for a few years and they are good sounding mics. I actually used them for vocal as much as anything. I have found hyper/super-cardioid mics can present some problems on loud stages if you don't have control over their positioning relative to stage (floor) monitors. If you're using IEMs, they're fine.

A condenser is nice, but the places I've played at are way too noisy for them to work IME. And, one open mic has this ancient Peavey [powered] mixer that provides all of 12V phantom power. That is simply not going to work for most condensers. I'd stick with a dynamic if you have to have just one mic.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

Thank you, folks. Really appreciate it.
Emerald X-20 Custom SS

Life's been good to me so far....
Old 02-01-2023, 03:41 PM

Another vote for the Sennheiser . . . I've got three of them. Lifetime guarantee, outstanding freq. range, pretty much bulletproof.
Old 02-01-2023, 04:48 PM

Sennheiser 935 would get my vote.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:32 PM

The XM8500 is a great deal. I have several and I can't really tell the difference between them and my buddy's 58, but I admittedly do not have golden ears.
Old 02-01-2023, 05:42 PM

Sennheiser 935 or Miktek PM9 would be my first choices.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
...Sennheiser e935...
It's also a supercardioid...
I was also under this impression but was disavowed of it recently.

It's cardioid.

Senn website

The e935 and the se V7 would be top of my list.

However, voices, vocal styles and performance situations are unique and recommendations can only be general advice.

One question - I think everyone is assuming this is a vocal mic we're talking about, is that correct?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification