The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-01-2023, 08:23 AM

Default Tom Brady retires.

Tom Brady retired this morning. He said this time it's for real.

Even though he's my all time favorite NFL'er, I'm glad he's stepping away. After this dismal season (put aside the yards, pass attempts and completion, his QBR / RTG were bad), I don't see him getting better next year.

Thanks for everything Tom!

Your thoughts?
Old 02-01-2023, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Rooting against him has been a long, hard road

Played one year too long, but that came from his love of the game.

Respect Due

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-01-2023, 08:37 AM

About time...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-01-2023, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for the heads up Dru. I hadn't heard yet.
If so, I really think it's the right decision. Over the years I've seen him have bad games, but in this last one against Dallas, he was clearly not the same QB that defined his career, or even his last 2 years a Tampa Bay. Poor reads and decisions, ill-timed throws, sometimes way off target. He looked uncharacteristically out of sorts. It may have come to him then that it was time to move on. Watching these playoffs and seeing how hurt ALL the QBs were to various degrees probably didn't help much either.
As a Patriots fan he sure brought us a lot of highs throughout his long career so we're all thankful for that, as you indicated. And I admit, I was rooting hard for the Bucs to be successful in the last couple of years. And he managed to add another ring, which I believe even turned a few long time Brady haters into fans.
In any case, I wish him well, and I hope he makes a good transition to the Fox analyst gig. I look forward to hearing his insights into the games.
And I'm sure he's not worrying about his 401K!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-01-2023, 08:59 AM

not a surprise

he was great..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-01-2023, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

This year proved that he shoulda stayed gone last year. I guess he didn’t believe it, and he certainly had every right to find out the hard way. I hope (and believe) he means it this time - coming back again would be pitiful.

I hope he’s a good broadcaster…

-Ray
Old 02-01-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I hope he’s a good broadcaster…

-Ray
He's certainly gonna be the best paid broadcaster!
And he needs a paycheck like a moose needs a hatrack.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

I have never been a Brady fan, although I had tremendous respect for his skills. I think my dislike really came from not liking his coach all those years in New England.

It was sad seeing him delivering passes late or off target this year, not like him at all. I respect him that he finally stepped away.

I will say I was very nervous about next year because one of the rumors was that he was going to my team….The Niners….
Old 02-01-2023, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

He's the GOAT, no doubt about it, but he should have stayed retired when he announced his first retirement 1 year ago.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:59 AM

Brady was the best for a long time, and it’s hard to dispute that. But I don’t feel bad when someone like that starts having failures because he stayed in the game too long. That’s totally on him. It’s just due to the massive ego and love of attention that guys like him have. It’s drives the fierce competitor mindset that athletes on that level need to survive. It’s not about money, at least in his case - he’s got plenty of that. It’s about being in the public eye as much as possible. He’s constantly on TV in commercials for this or that and hyping his own brands. Not to mention he’s going to be doing football broadcasts every week soon - he’s not retiring, he’s just looking for another way to keep his name on your homepage.
Old 02-01-2023, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
Brady was the best for a long time, and it’s hard to dispute that.
Mike Francesca and Mad Dog Russo are having a bit of a reunion on Stephen A’s First Take show this morning and, of course, Brady is topic A. And Francesca made an observation I found really interesting. If you use Super Bowls and longevity as your primary criteria, there’s no question Brady was the best ever. I’ve been sick of the guy for several years now, but even I certainly concede that. And Francesca didn’t dispute that at all. But he did say he thought that Peyton Manning was the best regular season QB he’d ever seen (but not much of a post season QB), Montana was by far the best Super Bowl QB he’d ever seen (and he had the numbers to back it up, which I’d been unaware of - Montana never lost a Super Bowl and his QB ratings in Super Bowls were way higher than Brady’s), and Aaron Rodgers is the most purely talented QB he’s ever seen, with Mahomes possibly emerging as his equal in that respect. So he didn’t think Brady was the greatest in any of those specific categories, but due to his longevity and the overwhelming number of Super Bowls he reached and won, he clearly had to be considered the greatest overall QB of all time. Although everyone noted that Otto Graham won 10 NFL titles in the pre Super Bowl era. I’ve never liked basing the GOAT designation just in Super Bowls because there’s so much that goes into winning a Supe beyond just the QB. But breaking it down with the specificity he did I thought made a lot of sense.

So, he was great, now he’s done, I HOPE. But with Brady and the Cowboys relative non-factors in the post season, I’ve been really enjoying this post-season in a way I haven’t in a while. Partly because I’m an Eagles fan and they’re in the big one. But partly because I didn’t strongly DISLIKE any of the final four teams (five counting Buffalo) - I’d have been fine with any of them winning it all (and will still be OK if KC beats the Eagles). I wish him well but I’m glad he’s gone. I hope the Cowboys continue to suck, and I’m really enjoying post season footballi in a much lighter way than I have for at least the past 10 years, probably more.

-Ray
Old 02-01-2023, 10:48 AM

I'll believe it when he's not wearing a helmet in August.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-01-2023, 10:57 AM

I don't agree with that analysis at all. ^^ (and of course we know that sports entertainers manufacture controversy for the ratings) You can't take one piece of a guy's resume and use that as the determining factor in his overall rating. That's like getting pulled over for speeding and telling the cop, "well, for a couple of miles I was driving under the speed limit - I'm a safe driver." You have to take it as a whole career, because that's what it is: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Put it all in a blender, and that's who the guy is.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I'll believe it when he's not wearing a helmet in August.
I will add that watching him suck for the Raiders next year wouldn't break my heart.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 02-01-2023, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I don't agree with that analysis at all. ^^ (and of course we know that sports entertainers manufacture controversy for the ratings) You can't take one piece of a guy's resume and use that as the determining factor in his overall rating. That's like getting pulled over for speeding and telling the cop, "well, for a couple of miles I was driving under the speed limit - I'm a safe driver." You have to take it as a whole career, because that's what it is: the good, the bad, and the ugly. Put it all in a blender, and that's who the guy is.
OK, I guess by that standard, we have to say Otto Graham was the GOAT - he won the most titles and it wasn’t his fault he played before the Super Bowl era…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic