The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-31-2023, 05:10 PM

Default I don't wanna buy it because it's ugly

Just wanted to vent that I'm having the toughest time figuring out which amp to buy. I'm looking for cleans and low wattage, and among the options are the Roland JC-22 or -40, and a handful of Fenders. However, I'm having trouble deciding among all my choices even beyond these because I'm finding some of these options just aesthetically unattractive. The JC-22 in particular and the silverface Fenders are not pretty to look at, in my opinion.

Yes, I should be ranking tone, affordability, and practicality among many other things ahead of the look, but my amps do need to sit somewhere in the house, the house I share with my wife and kids, so my stuff have to look somewhat pleasant, and look not too out of place among everything else in the room. Some of these just won't make it to the swimsuit competition.

Anyway, just thought I'd come out in the open and announce how impractical and superficial I'm being. I'm hoping others can relate!
Old 01-31-2023, 05:22 PM

I owned a JC-120 and the look was at least part of what I didn't care for.

You do realize that Justonwo's Humphrey Espresso 15 has your name written all over it?
Old 01-31-2023, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
...I'm looking for cleans and low wattage... However, I'm having trouble deciding among all my choices even beyond these because I'm finding some of these options just aesthetically unattractive...

Yes, I should be ranking tone, affordability, and practicality among many other things ahead of the look, but my amps do need to sit somewhere in the house, the house I share with my wife and kids, so my stuff have to look somewhat pleasant, and look not too out of place among everything else in the room...
One of these:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ss-a-tube-head

- and one of these:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...peaker-cabinet

Small, unobtrusive, solidly-built both structurally and electronically, loads of clean all-tube tone and dynamic headroom - I own one and it really is that. good. - and if you (or your better half) have a creative bent you can pull the Randall logo, cover the industrial diamond-steel grille with the grillecloth of your choice, and it'll have the look of a baby Ampeg Portaflex (or some of the classic 1950's McIntosh audio equipment); BTW if you're OK buying used the cab can be had for as little as $100 in primo condition, and the head for $175 if you're a good haggler (or you hit a Holiday/Coupon Day sale, as I did at Sweetwater) - simple, no-frills, old-school WYSIWYG controls, and tone you can't touch for anywhere near the price...
Old 01-31-2023, 09:31 PM

I’m not recommending the snake skinned beauty shown here(that’s mine!), but MojoTone can build you a custom cabinet for under $400(without speaker) and you pick everything you want your cab to be. The tolex, grillcloth, piping, handle, feet, corner guards. The world is your oyster. Match your home decor!

There are tons of mini amp heads on the market. Pick one to power the cab, and when not in use place the mini head in the bottom of the cab. Crisp and clean, sight unseen.

frank d.

20A5EA8A-23B4-4352-AB2E-301018212C44.jpg
Old 02-01-2023, 12:05 AM
Charter Member

Try a fender champion 600.
Old 02-01-2023, 02:59 AM

I’ve bought guitars for their looks. Amps? Not so much. What makes an amp good-looking? It’s a box with knobs and rivets, some tolex and a carrying handle.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:12 AM

you don't like the look of fenders?

hmmm..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-01-2023, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

hmmm..
Actually, that Tone Master DR in blonde is in the running! (It’s the silverfaces that I don’t like.). I think it looks great, and I like the idea of the solid state version with an attenuator. I think it sounds great and at the lower price.

@1neeto: It might not matter to some people, but you can’t deny that amps have different looks, which is especially important since they’re typically on display and not as easily hidden away in a case as a guitar. If I have an amp sitting in a midcentury modern living room, then a Tone King would blend in better than a Marshall. But not everyone cares and it’s a little shameful that the look is a big consideration for me, but it is.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:03 AM

There’s an excellent 5 watt Fender Custom Champ for sale in the classifieds for $799 shipped.
Thats a steal.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-01-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post

hmmm..
That one needs a set of creme barrel knobs and a flat-aluminum '63 logo - and why Fender didn't make them that way from the get-go is beyond me...
Old 02-01-2023, 08:04 AM

Kind of the reason I am not buying a spark amp....It looks like furniture lol
it does not look like a guitar amp...

I wish that T5 came with a EL34 or 6L6 I'm not a big fan of EL84's
Old 02-01-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
Actually, that Tone Master DR in blonde is in the running! (It’s the silverfaces that I don’t like.). I think it looks great, and I like the idea of the solid state version with an attenuator. I think it sounds great and at the lower price.
The attenuator is 100% the coolest thing about this amp It works great!

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-01-2023, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
I’ve bought guitars for their looks. Amps? Not so much. What makes an amp good-looking? It’s a box with knobs and rivets, some tolex and a carrying handle.
I was going to say the same thing. I can understand a person buying a guitar because they like the way it looks. I wouldn't worry about the way an amp looked though.

I'll admit I love the look of a Marshall stack.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
There’s an excellent 5 watt Fender Custom Champ for sale in the classifieds for $799 shipped.
Thats a steal.
The Champ is neck and neck with the Tone Master DR!
Old 02-01-2023, 09:07 AM

Ive always been drawn to the VOX classic design ethic. Beautiful black leatherette with gold piping and a stylized tartan grillcloth. Vox were the real merchants of cool way back when.

91E8DD1B-4443-471F-936A-71CA5A86429C.jpg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars