The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-29-2023, 07:35 PM

Default Resurfacing...Michaud O-R

Hello AGFers...resurfacing after going silent for a long while.

Have missed you all!

After putting it off for a couple of years, I'm hoping to move ahead with my Michaud build in 2023 if Joel can fit me in.

If you've owned or built an O-R with Joel and are willing to share thoughts and ideas with me from your experience, please PM me, or if you are willing to share more broadly, please reply publicly. Things I am particularly interested in:

- Design options that you couldn't live without or regret not going with (I am leaning towards no bevel, no cutaway, no wedge, maximum surface area for soundboard - but welcome different thinking).

- Tonewood. I've already picked out a pretty Koa set for the back and sides and am leaning towards a cedar top. If you happen to have either a Koa back or Cedar top on your O-R, I'd value your experience.

- Bridge design. Pinless or not? I will likely take Joel's guidance on this but I have a pinless bridge for my Michaud J-R and like it.

And any other general pearls of wisdom.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 02-01-2023, 12:56 AM
Charter Member

Hey there,
Joel’s great. I’d reach out to Marcus Wong of The Golden Era Guitar as he is a Michaud expert. Marcus represents Joel but more importantly his personal instruments are both Michauds.

https://www.thegoldeneraguitar.com/
Old 02-01-2023, 09:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Michaud O-R

Hi Justin,

Glad to see that your O-R build with Joel may start up this year. I owned two OO-R's and a OM from Joel that were all pre-2015 builds. After playing his prototype O-R at the first SBAIC I commissioned a German Spruce - Madagascar RW O-R that I received in early 2018; beautifully crafted and one of the best sounding guitars that I've owned.

Since you already own a J-R you know what to expect in terms of Joel's fit and finish. My friend, AGF member Vasu owns a Michaud J-R and brought it over to the house to check out along side my O-R. Obviously, David and Goliath in terms of bass presence but the shared DNA was obvious in the sound.

In terms of design element considerations, the O-R comes standard with a slotted headstock. For my commission I asked Joel to use his modern solid headstock with Gotoh 510 mini tuning machines (a personal preference on my part). Joel's friend Burton Legeyt crafted a set of custom ebony buttons.

Similar to your thinking, I opted for a non-cutaway to maximize the sound from the 13.5" lower bout. I didn't realize Joel even offered a cutaway for this model until he mentioned that just as we were getting just underway.

In hind sight, I wish I had opted for the cutaway. The O-R neck joins the body at the 13th fret and a cutaway would have allowed playing access much further up the neck and IMO aesthetically paired beautifully with the look of the modern solid headstock.

Of course, you'll want to discuss your preferred neck profile with Joel for this build to make sure it is comfortable for your playing style. I found the beautiful volute at the base of the headstock to be a bit crowding at times when playing certain chords in the first position, maybe something to discuss with Joel.

At Joel's suggestion we used Rocklite in place of Ebony for the fingerboard, binding and veneers. I was very pleased with the look and feel of that material on my guitar and wouldn't hesitate to use it again.

I went with bridge pins on my O-R but if you love the look and convenience of the pinless bridge on your J-R, go with that.

I'll be looking forward to following along with your build once it gets started. Joel is at the top of his game and a pleasure to work with. I think you'll love the sound of the O-R model.

Last edited by doodahdoug; 02-05-2023 at 07:46 AM. Reason: wording
Old 02-02-2023, 11:01 PM

Doug mentioned my J-R so I'll add my thoughts as well. I echo what Doug said, it was really surprising to hear the similarities between Joel's largest model and his smallest. Given that you own a J-R, I think a 0-R would be a wonderful compliment.

I vote for a pinless bridge, really like that feature. I'm usually not a fan of cedar on steel string guitars but this J-R impressed me. As you know, Joel's great to work with. If he recommends cedar based on your playing style and goals, go with it!
Old 02-05-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJI View Post
Hey there,
Joel’s great. I’d reach out to Marcus Wong of The Golden Era Guitar as he is a Michaud expert. Marcus represents Joel but more importantly his personal instruments are both Michauds.

https://www.thegoldeneraguitar.com/
Thanks for the suggestion! I actually purchased my J-R from Marcus - I had him and Michael Bashkin over to my house at Woodstock '18 and he was staying with Joel, Isaac Jang and a few others at the time.

I see he's been busy expanding his representation...was hoping he would chime in but I'll email him directly...

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Old 02-05-2023, 04:16 PM

Doug, thank you for such a thoughtful reply - I read it over the week and needed to get to the weekend so I could process it properly.

What a beautiful instrument your O-R is. Maybe its age but smaller guitars are growing on me, and the silhouette on Joel's is just lovely.

Long wait time on Joel's guitars...but worth the wait!

1. I'm currently leaning towards the slotted headstock...
2. But I hadn't thought about the cutaway. Thanks for pointing that out - I will ask Joel a little more about it. I have an OO with 12 frets to the body and I don't miss a cutaway on it, so I might be ok, but if I do go with a cutaway, I likely will go with a solid headstock.
3. Thank you for pointing out the volute - I will pay closer attention to it on my J-R and think about how my hand position might change with a smaller form factor; I'll ask Joel about this as well.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Old 02-05-2023, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpolineni View Post
Doug mentioned my J-R so I'll add my thoughts as well. I echo what Doug said, it was really surprising to hear the similarities between Joel's largest model and his smallest. Given that you own a J-R, I think a 0-R would be a wonderful compliment.

I vote for a pinless bridge, really like that feature. I'm usually not a fan of cedar on steel string guitars but this J-R impressed me. As you know, Joel's great to work with. If he recommends cedar based on your playing style and goals, go with it!
Thanks Vasu! I'd not come across this video before so appreciate the share.

The cedar is not locked in, but that is where we are leaning, and it will surely be different from the sitka/malaysian blackwood J-R. I am looking for something mellow and yet resonant, rather than punchy and bright - but not subdued either. I don't think there is such a thing as a subdued Michaud though!

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop