The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-29-2023, 01:40 PM

Default NUGD - From Tele to Tele

A few months ago, I bought a Fender Noventa Telecaster. It's the model with a single P90 pickup in the bridge, and no neck pickup. I really loved the simplicity of the single pickup guitar and sound of the P90. In fact, I loved everything about the guitar . . . except the 1-5/8" nut width. All my other electric guitars have the typical 1-11/16" nut width. And, try as I might, I just couldn't adjust to the 1/16" narrower nut. I know it sounds stupid, and probably is, but it is what it is.

So, I saw a used Tele on my local guitar shop's online inventory and went to check it out. It was my favorite Tele color (butterscotch) and had the more typical 1-11/16" nut. I sat down and played it through my Fender Mustang Micro headphone amp, and it took about 30 seconds before I realized THIS was the one.

I worked out a trade of my Noventa Tele plus a very modest amount of cash, and the new Tele was mine.

Here it is. The Fender Player Plus Nashville Telecaster in butterscotch blonde.

And here's a photo of the Noventa Tele I traded away. It was a great guitar that I would highly recommend to anyone not bothered by the traditional 1-5/8" nut width of the typical Telecaster.

Old 01-29-2023, 01:51 PM

I meant to add, that I fell in love with the sound of this guitar instantly as I cycled through all 5 pickup selector positions, plus the two additional positions provided by the push-pull tone knob. This thing simply sounds great, and plays like butter.

For those who don't know, the push-pull tone knob adds the neck pickup to Position 1 (bridge) and Position 2 (bridge and middle). Lots of tonal variety and flexibility.

Old 01-29-2023, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Pappy!

Is that a Nashville? If so, it’s one of the few “Teles” I’ve never owned, but have on my list! I’ve heard great things about them. Very versatile.

Great upgrade! You have far more tonal options/versatility.

As much as I love simplicity, sometimes you just need….more.
2021 Fender Strat American Pro II - Black
2014 Gibson ES-335 Memphis Dot - Cherry
2013 Gibson Les Paul 50’s Tribute P90 - Tobacco
2012 Yamaha FS720 TBS
Old 01-29-2023, 03:45 PM

Sweet! You have so many more tonal options now although your Noventa Tele probably rocked with that P90.

Congrats and enjoy your new Tele. I don't think I'd like a 1 5/8" nut width either.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:59 PM

I like the Nashville style Telecasters! Something about them, I can’t put my finger on it. How cool is this new guitar day, Pappy. What a great guitar. I’ve never owned a real Telecaster before, but if and when I do this would be the model I would be drawn too!
Enjoy your new guitar Pappy.
frank d.
Old 01-29-2023, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Niiiiiiiice guitar!

I’ve been looking at that guitar and thinking about the faded candy apple. Please keep us informed as you get to know this guitar.

Congratulations, I hope your playing the crap out of it!
Old 01-29-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
Congratulations, Pappy!

Is that a Nashville? If so, it’s one of the few “Teles” I’ve never owned, but have on my list! I’ve heard great things about them. Very versatile.

Great upgrade! You have far more tonal options/versatility.

As much as I love simplicity, sometimes you just need….more.
Yes, it is the Nashville Player Plus model. If the Noventa had the neck that's on this one, I would have never traded it. But I might have bought this one outright. After I played it, I knew I had to have it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Sweet! You have so many more tonal options now although your Noventa Tele probably rocked with that P90.

Congrats and enjoy your new Tele. I don't think I'd like a 1 5/8" nut width either.
Thanks. Lots of tonal options with this one. I'd say I gave the narrower neck a fair shot, and I just couldn't get along with it. All my other electrics have the standard 1-11/16" neck, so this upgrade to a slightly higher end model with the standard size neck was a no brainer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I like the Nashville style Telecasters! Something about them, I can’t put my finger on it. How cool is this new guitar day, Pappy. What a great guitar. I’ve never owned a real Telecaster before, but if and when I do this would be the model I would be drawn too!
Enjoy your new guitar Pappy.
frank d.
Thank you, Frank. I wish you would play one at some point and share your thoughts. You've got some really cool guitars, so it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on it relative to the guitars in your existing collection.
Old 01-29-2023, 10:11 PM
Charter Member

Awesome Tele! Congratulations!

I have one in exactly the same color and finish! Have fun!!!

- Glenn
Old 01-30-2023, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

Can you play all three pickups together? How do you like the sound of all three?
Old 01-30-2023, 02:00 AM

Sweet looking and really versatile guitar. Congrats!!!
Old 01-30-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Can you play all three pickups together? How do you like the sound of all three?
Yes. Position 2 is Bridge and Middle pickups. When you pull out the push-pull tone knob, that adds the Neck pickup.

Adding the neck pickup changes the tone considerably. It adds a fullness that could be really useful. I think a rhythm player might like that combination depending on the style of music.

Last edited by GoPappy; 01-30-2023 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-30-2023, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

This is so cool. I thought the push/pull just controlled there middle PU. I've got to get to the store and try one. If I do, it will pronbably br going home with me. I just got my first electric in November and I'm still tying to fgure things out, so I have to wait a while but I love your guitar, good luck with it.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:02 PM

Thanks! And just remember that "still learning" doesn't mean you can only have one electric guitar. If it did, none of us would have more than one.

I buy 'em because I like 'em, not because I've mastered the previous one.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:49 PM

Very cool. But I gotta say: the guitar you traded in is very cool too. I really dig a one-pup guitar, and to have it be a P90 is a bonus.
Old 01-31-2023, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
Very cool. But I gotta say: the guitar you traded in is very cool too. I really dig a one-pup guitar, and to have it be a P90 is a bonus.
It was indeed a very cool guitar that sounded great and had a great neck. Plus it was set up by a friend of mine that tours with a major (household name) rock band as a guitar tech. I loved the simplicity of the single P90 with nothing to fiddle with except volume and tone.

But, as I said in my original post, the 1-5/8" nut width bothered me. If I had never played anything else, I'm sure I would have been ok with it. But my other electrics are 1-11/16", and I had issues with buzzes and unintended muting with the narrower neck.

If I ever get another single pickup guitar, it will probably be a Les Paul Junior. But that's unlikely because (1) the price of a real Junior has skyrocketed in the last few years, and (2) I've already got more guitars than I can say grace over.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars