The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-29-2023, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Which Mac?

I did a fine job of ignoring the recent M2/M2 Pro discussion here, but today I went through it. Rather than piggyback onto that thread, I'll start a new one.

Seems the back of my 2015 MacBook Pro is bulging. I've just caught wind of what this probably means (danger from overheating) and what caused it (me, by leaving it on and plugged in for six years). I know, I know. So it looks like I'm going to need to take action and buy a new computer soon. (There goes the D-18 for a while!)

Reflecting on overheating, the laptop has most certainly gotten very hot when I've been mixing multiple tracks with Studio One and running an external monitor. I've had to shut things down a number of times just to cool the machine down. Apparently I didn't prevent the battery from becoming swollen.

See next post.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 01-29-2023 at 02:18 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 02:15 AM
Charter Member

So what to buy?

I have, and want, only one computer and I primarily use it for work. I use low-demand programs like Word, Pages, Acrobat, Excel, Chrome, and Safari. Very little else. Recently I've cut my Zoom use almost to zero. (yay!)

Oh, and Studio One as a hobby.

For work, any contemporary laptop will do, even the $1,200 13" MacBook Pro. Of course, it doesn't even need to be a Mac, and I could save a bundle by getting a Dell or something, but like others here I'm a Mac user for decades.

Now, to Studio One and recording in general: So far, my mid-2015 machine seems to have handled Studio One reasonably well, although I get some occasional glitching on playback, and there's that heat problem when I'm using lots of plugins.

But I have no idea if the modern chips are going to provide noticeably better performance. Sorry, but multi-core CPU and GPU and neural engine mean nothing to me. I do understand RAM and transfer speeds as regards latency and the like, but that's it. I don't know if Unified Memory will make a difference with what I do.

My 2015 MacBook Pro (bought July 2016) has
– a 2.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 processor
– 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM
– 256 GB SSD storage; 88 GB is free after all this time

My key questions:
1. I use a 4 TB external hard drive for Time Machine backup and a 1 TB external SSD for Studio One virtual instruments and my photo library. Lately I've been storing new Studio One songs themselves on the external SSD. If I ever fill that up, I can always move to a 2 TB external SSD for less than Apple charges for internal storage. So, I can possibly make 256 GB internal storage work. But should I be considering 512 GB for the next computer?

2) The 16 GB RAM has seemed sufficient. But should I be seriously considering more than that much RAM (or Unified Memory)?

3) My goal is cool-running, low-to-no-latency, glitch-free performance with a couple of dozen tracks, while running an external monitor along with the laptop screen. Do I need the "M" chips at all?

4) And not for nothing, is Studio One even compatible with M1, M1 Pro, M2, or M2 Pro computers?

I suppose I should say I've been using a USB-A audio interface And a seven-port USB-A hub. Clearly that must be a bottleneck of some sort. If it is, does it make sense to upgrade the interface to USB-C or Thunderbolt?
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 01-29-2023 at 02:27 AM.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1j View Post
My key questions:
1. But should I be considering 512 GB for the next computer?
Yes, because on the new Macs, the 512gb drive gives a speed bump over the 256gb drive.

Quote:
2) The 16 GB RAM has seemed sufficient. But should I be seriously considering more than that much RAM (or Unified Memory)?
if 16gb has been sufficient on your current computer, you should be fine with 16gb on the new computer. The architecture in the new Macs is such that you'll use less RAM to perform the same tasks.

Quote:
3) My goal is cool-running, low-to-no-latency, glitch-free performance with a couple of dozen tracks, while running an external monitor along with the laptop screen. Do I need the "M" chips at all?
The new Macs ...and I'm not engaging in hyperbole here... have been game-changers. Absolutely, you should get one of the silicon Macs.

Quote:
4) And not for nothing, is Studio One even compatible with M1, M1 Pro, M2, or M2 Pro computers?
Studio One 5.4 or above is compatible with the new Macs.

Quote:
I suppose I should say I've been using a USB-A audio interface And a seven-port USB-A hub. Clearly that must be a bottleneck of some sort. If it is, does it make sense to upgrade the interface to USB-C or Thunderbolt?
I suspect you're probably fine there, as is.

As for what Mac to buy, I think there are two obvious choices...

1. MacBook Air
w/ Apple M2 chip with 8‑core CPU, 10‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB SSD storage
13.6-inch Liquid Retina display
Two Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
$1699

2. MacBook Pro
w/Apple M2 Pro with 12‑core CPU, 19‑core GPU, 16‑core Neural Engine
16GB unified memory
512GB SSD storage
16-inch Liquid Retina XDR display
Three Thunderbolt 4 ports, HDMI port, SDXC card slot
$2499

The difference is the Mac Pro gives you a more powerful cpu, a bigger screen, and a bit more connectivity for the extra $800.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-29-2023, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

I would agree with Jim and myself I would not hesitate to go with an M chip series Mac.
Since you will using an external display
I would however add a 3 & 4th rd possible choice

#3 The base 14 " M2 MacBook Pro @ $1999
10-Core CPU
16-Core GPU
16GB Unified Memory
512GB SSD Storage¹

Or if there is any chance you might get into music video
#4 2nd tier option 14" with 1 TB storage @ $2499
12-Core CPU
19-Core GPU
16GB Unified Memory
1TB SSD Storage¹

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-29-2023, 08:42 AM

thanks for the education, I actually got one of the 499$ M2 Mac minis and it is great with garageband with basic 4-8 track projects
Old 01-29-2023, 09:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
#3 The base 14 " M2 MacBook Pro @ $1999
10-Core CPU
16-Core GPU
16GB Unified Memory
512GB SSD Storage
If he doesn't need the 16" display, this is a great option and a way to save $500. And if he's using an external display for the studio, the MBPro is a better option over the Air because it will give him an HDMI port to use for the display and he'll still have three Thunderbolt 4 ports for peripherals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrimess View Post
thanks for the education, I actually got one of the 499$ M2 Mac minis and it is great with garageband with basic 4-8 track projects
The OP indicated he needs a laptop.

YouTube
Old 01-29-2023, 01:03 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I don’t want to hijack the OP’s thread, but in case my question may have some relevance, I’m curious if the latest iPad Pro is suitable for quality recording purposes. I think it may have the same processor as a MacBook Pro, but I could be wrong. I bought an iPad Pro for my wife last Christmas which I can use if I want to as I prepare myself to go down the home recording path and before I upgrade our 10+ y/o MackBook Pro, if I don’t have to because the iPad Pro will be fine, then I’ll work with it...assuming there are other reasons why the iPad could be a pain to work on.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:15 PM

Are you aware of the MacBook Pro settlement for defective keyboards? 2015-2019 MacBooks with the troublesome butterfly keyboards are subject to a settlement of $399 if not previously repaired. Mine was repaired so I'm not eligible. But I replaced it recently with an Mac Airbook that I read was superior in performance to the current Pro.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
Are you aware of the MacBook Pro settlement for defective keyboards? 2015-2019 MacBooks with the troublesome butterfly keyboards are subject to a settlement of $399 if not previously repaired. Mine was repaired so I'm not eligible. But I replaced it recently with an Mac Airbook that I read was superior in performance to the current Pro.
Hum I will have to look at the settlement info agin.. I thought that was the other way around---- that if you had paid to have it repaired you were entitled to compensation ????????????????????????

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 01-29-2023, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I don’t want to hijack the OP’s thread, but in case my question may have some relevance, I’m curious if the latest iPad Pro is suitable for quality recording purposes. I think it may have the same processor as a MacBook Pro, but I could be wrong. I bought an iPad Pro for my wife last Christmas which I can use if I want to as I prepare myself to go down the home recording path and before I upgrade our 10+ y/o MackBook Pro, if I don’t have to because the iPad Pro will be fine, then I’ll work with it...assuming there are other reasons why the iPad could be a pain to work on.
I think it depends on what you anticipate you may want to do..
IF your going to use a full featured DAW and be doing any editing then an iPad is more cumbersome to use IMO

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-29-2023, 01:50 PM
Charter Member

I've had a series of MacBooks over the years both Pro and Air and I have to say the new M2 Airs are awesome. I got 16/512 and that's more than I'll ever need but the computer is amazing at everything I use it for.
Old 01-29-2023, 01:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
Do you know where I'd have to go to apply for that? Mine fits in that span and I have that annoying double-triple strike problem on a couple of keys.

YouTube
Old 01-29-2023, 03:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Do you know where I'd have to go to apply for that? Mine fits in that span and I have that annoying double-triple strike problem on a couple of keys.
here is some info from the Macworld website

https://www.macworld.com/article/141...-payments.html

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 01-29-2023, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Seems the back of my 2015 MacBook Pro is bulging...
Apple has a recall for some 2015 machines. See if you qualify.

https://support.apple.com/15-inch-ma...battery-recall

Even if your machine does not qualify, if you still find it to be fast enough to do what you need to do, I would just get the battery replaced and continue to use it while you window shop. When you eventually upgrade, the old machine will still be good for something.

If you don't want to pay to replace the battery, just remember that using a swollen battery is a risk. It can cause an exciting fire if you are unlucky.

Quote:
I don’t want to hijack the OP’s thread, but in case my question may have some relevance, I’m curious if the latest iPad Pro is suitable for quality recording purposes.
The iPad Pros are amazing hardware. There's probably a way to do what you want to do. But I find working on any kind of real productivity tasks in iOS to be absolutely hateful. Every time I have tried to do "real work" involving manipulating files on my iPad Pro, I have said, "the heck with this, I will just wait until I am back at a computer." The heavy-handed sandboxing which makes iOS safe and stable also makes it a huge PITA to do simple tasks like you can on a desktop/laptop.

YMMV.
Old 01-29-2023, 03:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
here is some info from the Macworld website

https://www.macworld.com/article/141...-payments.html
Hmm... I'll have to visit an Apple store. That article says, "As long as you were living in one of the above states at the time of the repair, you’ll be included." I'm in one of the states but I haven't had the computer repaired. My battery is way over the charge limit and it gets hot once in a while, so I need to have that done. Maybe they'll repair the keyboard for free. I'd be agreeable to that.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD