The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-18-2022, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Cigarette Smell on Used Guitars and Cases - What's Your Solution?

The obvious solution, if you don't like the smell of smoky musical equipment, is to simply avoid it. But sometimes I end up acquiring new (to me) gear that smells like cigarette smoke because I just gotta have it anyway - like the acoustic guitar and case I bought yesterday.

(Not being judgmental about smokers here, BTW, I smoked for two decades last century and I simply don't anymore.)

A thorough wipe-down with non-bleach cleaning spray seems to help as well as sitting out in fresh air/breeze, and time.

What do you fine guys and gals do about smoky musical gear?

Last edited by tinnitus; 11-18-2022 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:25 AM
Charter Member

I would buy a $100 ozone generator on Amazon or somewhere
and follow the instructions... based on advice from AGF...

-Mike
Old 11-19-2022, 06:45 AM

the ozone things can work but $100 bucks is a bit steep for a one time solution.

I suppose it really depends on how bad it is. I had one that was past the point return, it had to go.

I believe leaving it outside in sunlight as much as possible would help a bit.

there's some other remedies, baking soda and a vacuuming, and stuff like a wipe down with white vinegar, which trades the cigarette smoke smell for vinegar, but that should go away after a few days, maybe some fabric Febreze helps?

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 11-19-2022, 06:49 AM

I quit smoking cigarettes in 2008.

I think the smell is gone from everything now.

Just give it time...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 11-19-2022, 08:09 AM

Around four years ago I found a nylon string Ovation I had been looking for for some some time on Guitar Center Used Online. Both the guitar and the case reeked of what seemed to be a mixture of tobacco and sweat. I returned it.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Back in the dark ages of the last century I played frequently in smoke drenched venues. I found that time took care of the smell if I left my guitar out with the case opened. That said, more recently I used activated charcoal to get the smoke smell out of my gear after a cigar bar gig. I hope this helps.
Old 11-19-2022, 08:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
The obvious solution, if you don't like the smell of smoky musical equipment, is to simply avoid it. But sometimes I end up acquiring new (to me) gear that smells like cigarette smoke because I just gotta have it anyway - like the acoustic guitar and case I bought yesterday.

(Not being judgmental about smokers here, BTW, I smoked for two decades last century and I simply don't anymore.)

A thorough wipe-down with non-bleach cleaning spray seems to help as well as sitting out in fresh air/breeze, and time.

What do you fine guys and gals do about smoky musical gear?
Perhaps not what you are wanting to hear BUT The bold is arguably the problem. For me I am at a point in my Gear Acquisition journey , where there is no such thing as "just gotta have it" .... Which means if I smell cigarette smoke I simply move on because I am not willing to "deal with it" but YMMV

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-19-2022, 08:39 AM

Bounce dryer sheets
'04 Martin D28
'13 Martin 0-15M Custom Mahogany
Guild F112, Takamine EC132SC, National Delphi, Blueridge BR-371, Tacoma CB105CE, Peavey EVH Special, Hohner G11M, Loar Mandolin, Uke
Old 11-19-2022, 09:16 AM

Only buy new...
Old 11-19-2022, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

I had some luck with a good vacuuming and then leaving it on a counter, flat, with a pie pan with white vinegar in it for a couple of days.

(If there are other people in your house, put a "Do Not Touch" sign on it.)

And then out in the sun with the lid open for a day.

Or, as a friend of mine advised, leave it out for the cat to pee in. Then you won't notice the smoke anymore.
Old 11-19-2022, 03:46 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

I'd scatter ground coffee in the case with the guitar, then close it up for a couple of days.... Ground coffee is what the airlines used to get rid of foul odors.....

Don
Old 11-19-2022, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Perhaps not what you are wanting to hear BUT The bold is arguably the problem. For me I am at a point in my Gear Acquisition journey , where there is no such thing as "just gotta have it" .... Which means if I smell cigarette smoke I simply move on because I am not willing to "deal with it" but YMMV
I am not that far from KevWind.

As I get older, I seem to be more flexible about some things, and more rigid about some other things. Cigarette smoke is an example of a me getting more rigid: I just don’t want to deal with it in anything I own. I just wouldn’t buy a guitar that stinks of smoke.

Since you already own it: I think coffee grounds might be a good place to start (easy and cheap), and if that doesn’t work, buy an ozone machine.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:00 PM
Charter Member

Reporting back: I came to some solutions that did work, and one that didn't.

Like I said originally (and a few here reiterated), the obvious solution is to avoid smoky gear if it's just not acceptable in your world. Don't like 'em? Don't buy 'em. This thread is about what to do about instruments you have that smell smoky (a few of which over 50 years smelled fine after a few weeks and proved to be great sounding, sweetly broken-in players for me). I have a really sensitive sniffer.

First of all, just leaving it out in fresh air got rid of 90% of the problem. Then I wiped the guitar down with Lysol All Purpose (kitchen counter) Cleaner, which worked fine, no smell left. Zero.

Mistake: One of my boys gave me a can of Ozium spray to try. I remember the 1970s when hippie head shops and record stores displayed Ozium for sale next to the incense, ostensibly to mask the odor of burning reefer. 5 decades hence, the label says it imparts a "New Car Smell" (maybe that's the "flavor" of this one). I tried one squirt on the outside of the case, and I'm really glad I didn't put any inside. Never again - it smells like a Hallmark scented candle store had a baby with a men's room urinal deodorant cake. Got rid of that stench with more kitchen spray. Bad scene that Ozium - at least the scent I tried.

Here's something else I picked up for $6 at Home Depot. Like I said, residual odors are already gone, but I think I'll leave one of these tiny soft bags inside the guitar and another one in the case, just for grins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3258.jpg (38.8 KB, 73 views)

Last edited by tinnitus; 11-20-2022 at 11:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2022, 04:47 PM

Febreeze?

I bought a Les Paul with a smelly case once. It took a while, but leaving it in the sun eventually worked.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Around four years ago I found a nylon string Ovation I had been looking for for some some time on Guitar Center Used Online. Both the guitar and the case reeked of what seemed to be a mixture of tobacco and sweat. I returned it.
I think the easy solution there is to take up smoking and give up showers just to get along.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic