The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-07-2022, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I felt a disturbance in The Force and knew I was needed!...

So it really comes down to actual need and desire of what is most important to the end user.

Warm sound vs reference.
Weight vs power/tone shaping
AC vs battery
Dispersion
Methos, we should create an AGF Public Service award and send the first one to you! Thanks so much for all that well-organized detail.

Last edited by Chriscom; 11-07-2022 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-08-2022, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
I felt a disturbance in The Force and knew I was needed!
Thanks Methos I updated my post.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 11-08-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
fwiw I've plugged direct into the 30M hi-z with both the Martin and the Beard and both sounded totally usable. I typically have a Play Acoustic and/or pedal board, but I could do a gig just plugging straight into the 30M hi-z.
Wouldn't you only use the HiZ input on a guitar with passive pickups or without a preamp?
Old 11-08-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Aaron's latest report post-gig says it's a lot better than the competition. I'm personally sold because it's a lot louder than what I am currently using (Roland AC33 + Laney AH4x4)
He also said a week earlier he wasn't going to get it and had no reason to get it. Now it's suddenly the bees knees. Check back next week!
Old 11-08-2022, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

I didn't realize Aaron talked extensively about the Everse 8 in hist latest Gear Chat video. Really starts focusing on it around the 11:40 mark. Safe to say he loves it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=mRkBDq9LqIQ
Old 11-08-2022, 06:14 PM

Unless you need the features/App of the EV the S1Pro sounds "almost as good". I just finished a comparison video that will be out shortly. Bose is Plug and Play. It took a lot of EQing to get the EV to sound slightly fuller. At volumes pushing 100dB Bose gets very harsh and the smaller 6" woofer distorts sooner. Playing Bluetooth Backing Tracks, EV is only a few dB louder. I don't know where they are getting that 121dB Spec?? I have not tested the instrument/mic channels. At only $500 the QSC CP8 is twice as loud! If you are not pushing close to red clipping on the Bose, sound wise in a live situation very little sound difference! Also Bose has the better 120 degree dispersion.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wweiss View Post
Unless you need the features/App of the EV the S1Pro sounds "almost as good". I just finished a comparison video that will be out shortly. Bose is Plug and Play. It took a lot of EQing to get the EV to sound slightly fuller. At volumes pushing 100dB Bose gets very harsh and the smaller 6" woofer distorts sooner. Playing Bluetooth Backing Tracks, EV is only a few dB louder. I don't know where they are getting that 121dB Spec?? I have not tested the instrument/mic channels. At only $500 the QSC CP8 is twice as loud! If you are not pushing close to red clipping on the Bose, sound wise in a live situation very little sound difference! Also Bose has the better 120 degree dispersion.
Thanks for the update Bill! FWIW in the video I linked, Aaron says he measured the max spl of the Everse, and it registered the advertised 121 db. I gather he hasn't gigged with it yet, but has rehearsed, and on that basis says the loudness difference is, no contest, significantly greater on it. I wonder if the staging is different on the Bluetooth v. instrument channels, or if something else is going on.

Looking forward to your video!
Old 11-08-2022, 09:40 PM

Chriscom - Good question?? Maybe he was using his Stomp Mix6 Preamp in front of it? I've only tested the Bluetooth channels. I did plug in my Roland HD10 Drum Pad into the Hi-z channel of the Everse and it was weak - no better than the $450 Mackie Thump Go! I must say when it hit the limit it still sounded crystal clear with zero distortion and sounded like it had gobs of headroom left. In comparison Bose S1Pro/Mackie Thump Go get harsh when they hit the limit light.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscom View Post
Thanks for the update Bill! FWIW in the video I linked, Aaron says he measured the max spl of the Everse, and it registered the advertised 121 db.
Did he checked the distortion. I read on the comment section of a youtube video (sorry can't find it again) that when pushed the EV can get louder but distorted.

I bet Aaron did not measure the distortion at max SPL. If you just send pink-noise and push the speaker... you can always get high SPL, distorted noise is still noise.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 11-09-2022, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Did he checked the distortion. I read on the comment section of a youtube video (sorry can't find it again) that when pushed the EV can get louder but distorted.

I bet Aaron did not measure the distortion at max SPL. If you just send pink-noise and push the speaker... you can always get high SPL, distorted noise is still noise.
That’s a very important fact. Most of us don’t have the room/gear/knowledge to measure amp and speaker distortion of a powered speaker. I also never did.
That means, a difference in measured max. spl of speakers is mostly because of different limiter settings.

I think, the battery of the EV has roughly the same capacity as the S1 pros battery and the battery run time is similar as well. Thus, both have the same power per hour available.

EV might know a bit about speaker design (speaker, not enclosure), but 12db more efficiency is a LOT! If the speaker efficiency is about the same in both boxes, the average loudness would be similar as well. It doesn’t matter much if one amp has 160 watts and the other 400 watts. Short time peaks can be different though.

Maybe, I remember the specs wrongly but don’t think so.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 11-09-2022, 12:53 PM

Just checked Aaron’s video he said it was not distorted but went through a bit of compression. He said he could do a gig he would normally use the QSC CP8 with… although he felt he reached the headroom maximum.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Old 11-09-2022, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

I was using the VL3x. I also agree that the CP8 is better if you only care about clean headroom but the EV is noticeably louder than the Bose and the app, battery and lower weight are all excellent! I am a fan but will continue to test and post videos over the next couple weeks.
Old 11-09-2022, 01:17 PM
Charter Member

Default EV Everse 8 Comparison to Bose,JBL,Mackie Battery

I am very intrigued by the Everse speaker, and look forward to trying one. One feature not mentioned thus far ( I think) is the Everse’s water resistance. The cover for the electronics section and water resistant components are a new frontier for such speakers. Living and playing in the wettest town in the country, that’s a big deal. There are often splatters of water at outdoor gigs, even when covered, and it would be nice not to worry about that.
I have a couple of EAE D6-58s and I love them. The best sound for acoustic guitar and vocals I have found in an amp. It’s 30# vs 17# on the Everse, but has an awesome mixer and phenomenal sound. Not waterproof!
I’ve tried or owned almost every ‘acoustic amp’ (an oxymoron!) made, and the EAE is the clear winner in both sound and features, to me.
I sold my Bose S1s immediately after getting the EAE. The Bose, to my ears, distorts quite easily, although it’s cute and fun for low volume uses.
I look forward to trying an Everse or two!

Last edited by RussellHawaii; 11-09-2022 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2022, 12:07 PM

It looks like the 12v output is center positive. Being able to power a pedal (or small board) from this would be a bonus, but most of those are center negative so I'd have to make my own cable. Still a great feature - I'd use it to run the Play Acoustic and be fully self-contained.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 11-16-2022, 10:59 AM

Has anyone yet compared live sound of the JBL to the Everse yet? Is the Everse really that much louder? I am most interested in how they sound compared to each other. The "weather-proof" thing seems gimmicky to me. And what good is a plastic cover over the inputs if you are a musician and not a DJ? Also what happens when you lose the plastic or it breaks or it stops fitting properly due to repeated off and on's? How does EV justify the high price? What are you really getting for the extra $$? A few more db's?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification