The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-07-2023, 01:31 PM

Good to hear. A bass is a blessing to an acoustic jam.

I always developed a pretty nasty blister on my plucking finger(s) with metal strings if I hadn't played in a while, so I switched to synthetic strings. I never really got to the point where the blister would become a callous.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia View Post
Good to hear. A bass is a blessing to an acoustic jam.

I always developed a pretty nasty blister on my plucking finger(s) with metal strings if I hadn't played in a while, so I switched to synthetic strings. I never really got to the point where the blister would become a callous.
Just played a 2 hour bluegrass jam last night. I was noticing how my right index finger now has a callus just as tough as my fretting fingertips (and I play 13's on all my steel string guitars and mediums on my main mandolins). And that's less than a month of playing. I don't know what strings are on my rental bass.

I never got a blister - just went straight to a callus.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:32 PM

Blisters are a thing, though . . .

Old 02-08-2023, 12:21 AM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

I've always been intrigued by those who seek to Captain a "doghouse"... A solid bull fiddle, is the true foundation of real acoustic "band"... And, if the standup bass player ain't having a good time, nobody is! Most bass folks I've met, are insecure guitar pickers, who love to sing, and want to be loved, & needed...

Taking up the bass fiddle, is a calling fraught with hazards, & hardship.... Even a sousaphone is easier to haul around than a standup bass, and they are almost impossible to transport in standard sedans.... (unless the neck sticks out though a sunroof...) Lugging one around crowded places requires the concentration, & balance, of a Yogi! The bass gals I've known all have stories about cavaliers, wanting to help them carry their bass for them, who have no idea what they're volunteering for..... A common reply is, "Thanks, but you might hurt yourself..." To top it off, bass players are usually expected to be at least, humorous, if not the outright comedian of the band, as well! Bassists, have an extra tough life, as a musician......

Don
Old 02-08-2023, 05:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Just played a 2 hour bluegrass jam last night. I was noticing how my right index finger now has a callus just as tough as my fretting fingertips (and I play 13's on all my steel string guitars and mediums on my main mandolins). And that's less than a month of playing. I don't know what strings are on my rental bass.

I'm someone who never really forms hard calluses even during times where I'm playing bass a lot. I used to occasionally get issues with blisters if playing unamplified in noisy settings, but eventually I adjusted my right hand technique, and also realised that playing with good time and tone all night albeit slightly lower in the mix is probably preferable to blistering in the first hour just to get volume and then limping through the rest with sore fingers.
And there are some online guides to identifying strings by ball type and silk colours, so you can probably find out what those strings are.
Also double bass, electric bass, cittern, mandolin...
Old 02-08-2023, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
I've always been intrigued by those who seek to Captain a "doghouse"... A solid bull fiddle, is the true foundation of real acoustic "band"... And, if the standup bass player ain't having a good time, nobody is! Most bass folks I've met, are insecure guitar pickers, who love to sing, and want to be loved, & needed...

Taking up the bass fiddle, is a calling fraught with hazards, & hardship.... Even a sousaphone is easier to haul around than a standup bass, and they are almost impossible to transport in standard sedans.... (unless the neck sticks out though a sunroof...) Lugging one around crowded places requires the concentration, & balance, of a Yogi! The bass gals I've known all have stories about cavaliers, wanting to help them carry their bass for them, who have no idea what they're volunteering for..... A common reply is, "Thanks, but you might hurt yourself..." To top it off, bass players are usually expected to be at least, humorous, if not the outright comedian of the band, as well! Bassists, have an extra tough life, as a musician......

Don
You can easily fit a 3/4 upright in almost any car, just put the passenger front seat back. Of course it limits the number of human passengers you can have.

I've found upright bass players to be the humanitarians of the acoustic world. Instead of being the fourth guitar player at the jam, they selflessly provide rhythmic support and improve the jam immeasurably.
Old 02-08-2023, 05:19 AM

Most Eastman basses I've seen come with D'addario Preludes on them, always a quality and economical choice for string shops.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:02 PM

If you are playing bluegrass, the whole band works like a drum kit. The bass players main job is to be the bass drum while the mandolin (mostly) and banjo (less) take turns being the snare.
It is important to first be able to play a solid 1,5 creating a framework for the other players to fill in with active and passive backup to the singers. Runs can be added later.

There used to be a book, Bluegrass Bass by Oak Publications if you can get your hands on a copy.
Old 02-12-2023, 11:03 PM

Quote:

Wow, you must be amplified..? Usually to drive a bass in bluegrass we use the side of the finger. You must have some thick mitts. 'Fingerpicking'-like, maybe like Rob Wasserman can work, but I'd think you'd need the standard technique in your toolbox, for sure.
Old 02-13-2023, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catt View Post
Wow, you must be amplified..? Usually to drive a bass in bluegrass we use the side of the finger. You must have some thick mitts. 'Fingerpicking'-like, maybe like Rob Wasserman can work, but I'd think you'd need the standard technique in your toolbox, for sure.
No amps, mics, etc. Just a banjo, up to 3 fiddles, couple guitars, couple mandolins, and me at the weekly bluegrass jam. On the weekly folkie guitar jam there's also no amps or sound reinforcement. 5 - 7 guitars, a banjo, mandolin and me. Old Time jam again no amps. 5 fiddles, 2 guitars, banjo and me. In any given week I attend 3 to 4 all acoustic jams, each running 2 - 3 hours. I've been playing a standard acoustic 3/4 size double bass (all pizzicato - not much call for arco in these jams) for just a little over a month.

My right index finger from the tip down to almost the middle joint has pretty much turned to leather on the palm side and middle finger facing side. It never got sore or blistered. Left hand fingers haven't changed at all - bass strings are easier on my left hand fingers than mandolin strings.

I've been watching Nate Sabat's bluegrass bass series on YouTube for guidance.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

I had a guy tell me within four weeks of buying a bass, he was in six bluegrass bands.

Peghead nation and the like have bass courses of all levels.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-14-2023, 04:21 AM
Charter Member

An upright bass really carries acoustically at a session. It seems as loud at the back of the room (or outside the pub!) as it does when standing next to it, so I really wouldn't worry about volume close up. By the time the sound reaches the audience the bass will be balancing with the other instruments.

I don't play bass, but I have stood next to quite a few upright bass players in bluegrass bands and at sessions. Basically, the bass player can be a "character" but you sort of want their playing to be "boring". Solid root and 5th with the odd walk up or walk down, all perfectly in time and without a missed beat, is exactly what the band requires. Far easier said than done of course!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post

Basically, the bass player can be a "character" but you sort of want their playing to be "boring". Solid root and 5th with the odd walk up or walk down, all perfectly in time and without a missed beat, is exactly what the band requires. Far easier said than done of course!
This right here all day long.
Old 02-14-2023, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Solid root and 5th with the odd walk up or walk down, all perfectly in time and without a missed beat, is exactly what the band requires. Far easier said than done of course!
Yep. Everything I've read, watched and experienced in my brief-thus-far double bass journey bears this out.

I find playing a steady root-five rhythm really frees me up to listen to the other players, adjusting dynamics as needed.

Here is one thing I've learned - some of the folks I've played with for years and looked up to as great musicians have awful rhythm! They're pushing the beat every time they get a break/lead. They are focused on their playing and tuning everyone else out. Sure they play fast and clean and improvise well, but they ruin the song!

So far I can't rein them in at all.
Old 02-15-2023, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yep. Everything I've read, watched and experienced in my brief-thus-far double bass journey bears this out.

I find playing a steady root-five rhythm really frees me up to listen to the other players, adjusting dynamics as needed.

Here is one thing I've learned - some of the folks I've played with for years and looked up to as great musicians have awful rhythm! They're pushing the beat every time they get a break/lead. They are focused on their playing and tuning everyone else out. Sure they play fast and clean and improvise well, but they ruin the song!

So far I can't rein them in at all.

I found this band with a singing bass player, and the band just using a single mic' at a gig. I'm sure that with some practice you'll do just fine singing with the bass. I have heard "Wild and Wicked" done twice this fast. I quite like it slow!!!! Note the guitar doing the job it is supposed to do - non of that fast and fancy lead break stuff; leave the lead breaks to the instruments actually designed for the job! The guitar is there to fill out the sound - 98% rhythm and the odd bass run. If I had the choice of selecting for a band a top rate solo flatpicker who was all over lead breaks or a great rhythm player who could sing - I'd take the singer every time.

For me, and for the audiences, bluegrass is about the singing and the songs. I was in a bluegrass band where none of us were technically good players. But it was noticeable that we had the best campsite parties at bluegrass festivals (despite high class and intense picking going on everywhere) simply because we sang songs and had a lot of fun.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments