The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-05-2023, 07:08 AM

Default Radial j48 vs pz di orchestral for live stage

Hello please I want you to help me.. I play acoustic guitars and sometimes electric bass. My acoustic guitar has an active lr baggs element electrical system. and the other guitar has a Fishman matrix infinity active piezo. My bass is an ibanez sr 600e with Nordstrand active and passive magnetic pickups. I like radial j48 and pz di box. Which do you think I should prefer for live stage? I play on the pa system all the time. I have tried both. The j48 seemed more edgy to me with a bit more signal. The pz somewhat smoother. I played both with the 15db button pressed. I liked the adjustable low pass filter on the pz..
Old 02-05-2023, 08:15 AM

When you have played both, you might be more experienced than most of us here, as those are quite expensive boxes.
I played over a few Radial DIs boxes but have only one. All, I can say is that they are good, all of them. The pz offers a lot more options and should fit to everything you plug into it. Especially the impedance selection is fantastic and you don’t find that on many boxes. Same with the adjustable lowcut.

Also, pz are my initials!
So, without your experience and just from the specs, I’d take the pz.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 02-05-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
When you have played both, you might be more experienced than most of us here, as those are quite expensive boxes.
I played over a few Radial DIs boxes but have only one. All, I can say is that they are good, all of them. The pz offers a lot more options and should fit to everything you plug into it. Especially the impedance selection is fantastic and you don’t find that on many boxes. Same with the adjustable lowcut.

Also, pz are my initials!
So, without your experience and just from the specs, I’d take the pz.
thanks. the pz does have additional features but I don't know how well it will work with an electric bass
Old 02-05-2023, 08:40 AM

With the 220kOhm setting it should work perfectly with magnetic pickups. But you made me look closer and I found this:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...ineering-pz-di

They say it’s good with electric guitars and basses.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 02-05-2023, 08:49 AM

you have tried both?Mr Peter?
Old 02-05-2023, 01:16 PM

Oh, I just saw my sentence was destroyed by the auto spelling correction - or my own mistake. I wanted to write, I played over several Radial boxes and they all were good. I can’t remember all the types, sorry, and I never made a direct comparison with the two boxes in question. You might get more and better information on ProSoundWeb or Gearspace.
Old 02-05-2023, 05:33 PM
Guitar Gourmet

If you are looking at DI boxes, there are a pair that offer two different audible signatures: the Radial J48 and the Countryman 85. The Radial is crisp and the Countryman is round and smooth. As for quality, the Countryman type 85 was the state of the art for decades. It is housed in a four-sided, extruded rectangular tube, built like a tank.

Both boxes are excellent, but different. The studio where I work has several of each. I've used the Countryman for four decades and the Radial for two.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-05-2023, 09:49 PM

[QUOTE = Bob Womack; 7184506 ] Εάν κοιτάζετε κουτιά DI, υπάρχει ένα ζευγάρι που προσφέρει δύο διαφορετικές ακουστικές υπογραφές: το Radial J48 κα. Το Radial είναι τραγανό και ο Countryman είναι στρογγυλός και ομαλός. Όσον αφορά την ποιότητα, ο Countryman τύπου 85 ήταν η κατάσταση της τέχνης για δεκαετίες. Στεγάζεται σε έναν τετράποδοντικό ορθογώνιο σωλήνα, χτισμένο σαν δεξαμενή.

[ CENTER ] [IMG ] https://stagesound.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Countryman-Type-85.jpg[/IMG]
[ / ΚΕΝΤΡΟ ]

Και τα δύο κουτιά είναι εξαιρετικά, αλλά διαφορετικά. Το στούντιο όπου εργάζομαι έχει πολλά από τα. Χρησιμοποίησα το Countryman για τέσσερις δεκαετίες και το Radial για δύο.

Bob [ /QUOTE ]thanks mr.
Old 02-05-2023, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Z View Post
Oh, I just saw my sentence was destroyed by the auto spelling correction - or my own mistake. I wanted to write, I played over several Radial boxes and they all were good. I can’t remember all the types, sorry, and I never made a direct comparison with the two boxes in question. You might get more and better information on ProSoundWeb or Gearspace.
Thanks mr Peter z
Old 02-05-2023, 09:58 PM

when I tried both. while at radial they say that in the 220 om option the pz is exactly the same as the j48, but the pz seemed a bit smoother to me...maybe the j48 is hotter on the way out? Has anyone had both for a long time to tell us their opinion?(my test on both was in a short time and I don't have a complete picture of them)

Last edited by ntik; 02-05-2023 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-06-2023, 04:22 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntik View Post
[QUOTE = Bob Womack; 7184506 ] Εάν κοιτάζετε κουτιά DI, υπάρχει ένα ζευγάρι που προσφέρει δύο διαφορετικές ακουστικές υπογραφές: το Radial J48 κα. Το Radial είναι τραγανό και ο Countryman είναι στρογγυλός και ομαλός. Όσον αφορά την ποιότητα, ο Countryman τύπου 85 ήταν η κατάσταση της τέχνης για δεκαετίες. Στεγάζεται σε έναν τετράποδοντικό ορθογώνιο σωλήνα, χτισμένο σαν δεξαμενή.

[ CENTER ] [IMG ] https://stagesound.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Countryman-Type-85.jpg[/IMG]
[ / ΚΕΝΤΡΟ ]

Και τα δύο κουτιά είναι εξαιρετικά, αλλά διαφορετικά. Το στούντιο όπου εργάζομαι έχει πολλά από τα. Χρησιμοποίησα το Countryman για τέσσερις δεκαετίες και το Radial για δύο.

Bob [ /QUOTE ]thanks mr.
I studied both Attic and Koine Greek but this is may be the first time my words were translated into Greek!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-06-2023, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I studied both Attic and Koine Greek but this is may be the first time my words were translated into Greek!

Bob
It's about time, someone puts you on par with Aeschylus and Homer, Bob!
Old 02-06-2023, 07:34 AM

the j48 seemed to me a bit cleaner and completely flat... I don't know, maybe I'm wrong

Last edited by ntik; 02-06-2023 at 09:16 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification