The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-02-2023, 05:09 PM

Thanks TBman,
All the stuff I'm doing now comes from Stephan Grossman's site.
The single song instructions have a YouTube like video, which also allows playback at different speeds, has a split screen view which shows both hands, has instruction and tab.
Can't ask for much more than that.
But it's good to know info that you provided.

Thanks.
Breedlove Oregon Concertina Sitka/Myrtlewood
Old 02-02-2023, 05:14 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwellers View Post
Thanks TBman,
The single song instructions have a YouTube like video, which also allows playback at different speeds, has a split screen view which shows both hands, has instruction and tab.

Thanks.
I love those videos with the tab built in. (I still need it on the desk in front of me though).

Have fun, this is a great hobby.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-03-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Please keep them coming if anyone has more useful answers. It's very appreciated.
Floyd, I'm similar to you, but maybe a step or two ahead of you. I'll share some tips that have been successful for me:

My number one tip is to play with other people on a regular basis. It may take a lot of effort to make this happen, but it is worth it. There are several ways to make this happen, but that's a subject for another discussion. Playing with others forces one to get good enough to not drag the others down. On the other hand nobody has to be perfect because the others will keep the music going even if one makes mistakes. So simplify your playing, but get the rhythm rock solid.You may have to learn music that is not your favorite. Bluegrass is a fabulous genre for social playing. So is Old-Time.

I decided that I want to learn how to play unaccompanied. That's when I fell into the conundrum that you are now in. One thing that was obvious to me: I am not good at concentration/focus. My friends recommended meditation. That did not work for me until I came up with the idea to meditate by concentrating on short bits of tunes and playing them in loop fashion while concentrating on my playing and try to not allow any other thoughts to arise. That is the first thing I do every morning. Start out with a modest goal of say two minutes of concentration, then stop playing and let your mind wander a bit, then go for another two minutes. Over weeks and months, endeavor to expand the amount of time that you can focus on just playing a short section of music and then start linking two short sections together. For me, that helped my playing and it helped my focus in all other aspects of my life.

For me, it is not possible to master a tune, or any part of a tune, if I need to be looking at TAB. So I work to memorize small bits at a time as soon as possible. Some people call this kind of memorization "muscle memory". As far as I can tell, muscle memory requires a lot of repetition. However, the more I am able to focus and concentrate, the less repetition I need. If I'm trying to memorize two different tunes, it will require between 640 and 6,400,000 times as much repetition as needed to memorize one tune.

I approach a tune like this: First, I say the name of the tune. Then I say the key that I will be playing in. The I say the chords that are in the section that I will be practicing that day. Finally, as soon as I can play the section without looking at the TAB, I start using a metronome at slow tempo, gradually increasing the tempo. I master the beginning of a song first, then the end of a song (not unusual to be the same as the beginning). Then I pick the most difficult measure, get it to 80%, then add the following measure, then add the preceding measure. Repeat until I've expanded to the beginning and end, Then I have the whole song at 80%.

Now to answer your question: "How many tunes to practice". I cannot memorize more than one tune at a time. So for the meditation and memorization phase, there will be just one tune that I am working on. That is hard work, so for relief, I will allow myself to spin off into related improvisational noodling. If I still have time, I may work on refining or maintaining another tune that I have 80% or better. And/or I might start the pre-memorization/familiarization phase of a new tune in which I work out the fingering and rhythm (motor skills) with the TAB. This phase is when I decide if I like the tune well enough to put it in the queue and if my skills have developed enough to tackle it next or to put it back up on the shelf for future exploration.

Last edited by jwing; 02-03-2023 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 02:33 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwing View Post
Floyd, I'm similar to you, but maybe a step or two ahead of you. I'll share some tips that have been successful for me:

My number one tip is to play with other people on a regular basis. It may take a lot of effort to make this happen, but it is worth it. There are several ways to make this happen, but that's a subject for another discussion. Playing with others forces one to get good enough to not drag the others down. On the other hand nobody has to be perfect because the others will keep the music going even if one makes mistakes. So simplify your playing, but get the rhythm rock solid.You may have to learn music that is not your favorite. Bluegrass is a fabulous genre for social playing. So is Old-Time.

I decided that I want to learn how to play unaccompanied. That's when I fell into the conundrum that you are now in. One thing that was obvious to me: I am not good at concentration/focus. My friends recommended meditation. That did not work for me until I came up with the idea to meditate by concentrating on short bits of tunes and playing them in loop fashion while concentrating on my playing and try to not allow any other thoughts to arise. That is the first thing I do every morning. Start out with a modest goal of say two minutes of concentration, then stop playing and let your mind wander a bit, then go for another two minutes. Over weeks and months, endeavor to expand the amount of time that you can focus on just playing a short section of music and then start linking two short sections together. For me, that helped my playing and it helped my focus in all other aspects of my life.

For me, it is not possible to master a tune, or any part of a tune, if I need to be looking at TAB. So I work to memorize small bits at a time as soon as possible. Some people call this kind of memorization "muscle memory". As far as I can tell, muscle memory requires a lot of repetition. However, the more I am able to focus and concentrate, the less repetition I need. If I'm trying to memorize two different tunes, it will require between 640 and 6,400,000 times as much repetition than memorizing one tune.

I approach a tune like this: First, I say the name of the tune. Then I say the key that I will be playing in. The I say the chords that are in the section that I will be practicing that day. Finally, as soon as I can play the section without looking at the TAB, I start using a metronome at slow tempo, gradually increasing the tempo. I master the beginning of a song first, then the end of a song (not unusual to be the same as the beginning). Then I pick the most difficult measure, get it to 80%, then add the following measure, then add the preceding measure. Repeat until I've expanded to the beginning and end, Then I have the whole song at 80%.

Now to answer your question: "How many tunes to practice". I cannot memorize more than one tune at a time. So for the meditation and memorization phase, there will be just one tune that I am working on. That is hard work, so for relief, I will allow myself to spin off into related improvisational noodling. If I still have time, I may work on refining or maintaining another tune that I have 80% or better. And/or I might start the pre-memorization/familiarization phase of a new tune in which I work out the fingering and rhythm (motor skills) with the TAB. This phase is when I decide if I like the tune well enough to put it in the queue and if my skills have developed enough to tackle it next or to put it back up on the shelf for future exploration.
I think the OP is playing solo finger style stuff, but I might be wrong.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-03-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I think the OP is playing solo finger style stuff, but I might be wrong.
Yes, so am I. But I learned how to flatpick so I could play socially and it has been the most important step in my journey, so far. That is why I wrote, "You may have to learn music that is not your favorite." Everything else I wrote is a description of my journey since I decided to get good at "unaccompanied" fingerstyle.
Old 02-03-2023, 04:39 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Yes, so am I. But I learned how to flatpick so I could play socially and it has been the most important step in my journey, so far. That is why I wrote, "You may have to learn music that is not your favorite." Everything else I wrote is a description of my journey since I decided to get good at "unaccompanied" fingerstyle.
I always wanted to play with others and dust off my flatpicking skills, but I always thought it would be too tough finding others to play with who are on the same page.

My SoundCloud page

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 02-04-2023, 11:30 AM

Quote:

For me, it is not possible to master a tune, or any part of a tune, if I need to be looking at TAB. So I work to memorize small bits at a time as soon as possible. Some people call this kind of memorization "muscle memory". As far as I can tell, muscle memory requires a lot of repetition. However, the more I am able to focus and concentrate, the less repetition I need. If I'm trying to memorize two different tunes, it will require between 640 and 6,400,000 times as much repetition as needed to memorize one tune.

I have just started to memorized songs that I sing. For whatever reason I have memorized the instrumentals I know with flatpicking or fingerstyle. I work on small parts and then I piece everything together. I do the same thing with the piano. First I try to learn small pieces at a time. Then I practice each small section. Then I put everything together. Eventually you will get them into your muscle memory.

Funny thing. Last night I went to an open mic with the first 3 singing songs I had memorized. Right off the bat, I couldn't remember the first song opening line. LOL It's a great open mic group, where mistakes are many especially with those who bring new material to play although just keep playing the same songs.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 02-04-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks TBman,

Thanks.
I just received my Vidami Blue foot pedal. This will allow you without taking your hand off the guitar control a Youtube video lesson.

It will allow you to start and stop, rewind, fast forward, change speed and loop the video. In theory it seems great. I have take private lessons from a guitar instructor on Truefire, and I'm always trying to loop parts of the lesson. Also, it seems like it will great for lessons I have found on Youtube.

I haven't used it yet as I just got it, so hopefully the reality will be the same. It's not cheap at $229, but there are 10% coupons available. The Blue is needed if you have an Apple product, but it also adds Bluetooth. It will not work on an Android mobile device.

https://vidami.com/products/vidami-blue
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write