The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-02-2023, 11:16 AM

It's wonderful to read some of you are having a vacation and/or enjoying the good snow in west this year.

It's finally better far east and dear to me Boho but also a big cold wave this week. I think Boho is 100+ inches behind last year. Right now it looks like a week from today could have full-blown perfect LES (lake effect snow) aiming right down the Keweenaw peninsula.

As much as getting on a plane is tempting, I've already had 9 powder days where there were 45 to maybe 150 people at the whole resort. 1100 feet is max vertical in the region but I'm loving the solitude, no airlines and price.

There's a new Boho TV episode out. There's just no place like it. I miss these characters so maybe a week from today. I better get back to work!

Old 02-02-2023, 12:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
It's wonderful to read some of you are having a vacation and/or enjoying the good snow in west this year.

It's finally better far east and dear to me Boho but also a big cold wave this week. I think Boho is 100+ inches behind last year. Right now it looks like a week from today could have full-blown perfect LES (lake effect snow) aiming right down the Keweenaw peninsula.

As much as getting on a plane is tempting, I've already had 9 powder days where there were 45 to maybe 150 people at the whole resort. 1100 feet is max vertical in the region but I'm loving the solitude, no airlines and price.

There's a new Boho TV episode out. There's just no place like it. I miss these characters so maybe a week from today. I better get back to work!
THAT is a very interesting and unique-looking ski hill. The tree skiing looks amazing, like this article says, reminds one a bit of what you'd get in Japan: https://www.skimag.com/ski-resort-li...mount-bohemia/

Looks harder to get to than Japan.

Never seen that many double-blacks on trail map before, at least as a percentage of total. Great concept!
Old 02-02-2023, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Hofman View Post
THAT is a very interesting and unique-looking ski hill. The tree skiing looks amazing, like this article says, reminds one a bit of what you'd get in Japan: https://www.skimag.com/ski-resort-li...mount-bohemia/

Looks harder to get to than Japan.

Never seen that many double-blacks on trail map before, at least as a percentage of total. Great concept!
The double blacks are for a few reasons. Lots of small cliffs and drops and it there's no grooming like in the photos but it's also quite manageable for a strong intermediate up for some adventure. The warnings are also to address the way unprepared or skilled show up.

Think of it as a bit like lift and bus served back country. With some nutty and charming aspects not for everyone. No cell service, the yurts, very basic cabins and the characters in those Mt. Bohemia TV are part of the charm. Beginning of episode 3 shows a calm Lake Superior which is not very winter like and the famous Abba bus.

Hard to explain but some people come from really far and love it. Consider it an extreme opposite of a modern resort.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The double blacks are for a few reasons. Lots of small cliffs and drops and it there's no grooming like in the photos but it's also quite manageable for a strong intermediate up for some adventure. The warnings are also to address the way unprepared or skilled show up.

Think of it as a bit like lift and bus served back country. With some nutty and charming aspects not for everyone. No cell service, the yurts, very basic cabins and the characters in those Mt. Bohemia TV are part of the charm. Beginning of episode 3 shows a calm Lake Superior which is not very winter like and the famous Abba bus.

Hard to explain but some people come from really far and love it. Consider it an extreme opposite of a modern resort.
Powder Mountain in Utah has some of the same ethos. Just a couple lifts, some cats, and 8500 acres of skiable terrain. You can hike a lot of it, get a guide, jump on the cat, whatever. No amenities but a basic lodge. All about the skiing, and most of it feels like backcountry. Had some of the best powder days of my life at that place.
Old 02-02-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Powder Mountain in Utah has some of the same ethos. Just a couple lifts, some cats, and 8500 acres of skiable terrain. You can hike a lot of it, get a guide, jump on the cat, whatever. No amenities but a basic lodge. All about the skiing, and most of it feels like backcountry. Had some of the best powder days of my life at that place.
The place? https://www.indyskipass.com/resort/powder-mountain/

We (my bike/ski posse) have that in mind along with Red Lodge because saw Billings has had low cost air fare.

The Boho season's pass is as quirky and cheap as the place itself with reciprocity at independent resorts all over like Indy pass. Indy at pre-season sale plus Boho no blackouts passes together round to $500 a year for tickets all over. SO much fun.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The place? https://www.indyskipass.com/resort/powder-mountain/

We (my bike/ski posse) have that in mind along with Red Lodge because saw Billings has had low cost air fare.

The Boho season's pass is as quirky and cheap as the place itself with reciprocity at independent resorts all over like Indy pass. Indy at pre-season sale plus Boho no blackouts passes together round to $500 a year for tickets all over. SO much fun.
That's the one! "Pow Mow" as it's called. Snowbasin across the valley is NOT to be missed.
Old 02-02-2023, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Our host, ripping the Hanging Valley Wall, Snowmass, Colorado. So much fun!

Old 02-02-2023, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

Yours truly, Snowmass Colorado...

Old 02-03-2023, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Yours truly, Snowmass Colorado...

Very nice. Powder is addictive. You've got me scheming to maybe be gone 2x in a week.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:51 PM

Quote:
The thoroughly modern gear is just incredible. I did my first ever totally custom boot fit and that helps with bones not the same anymore.
I don't ski much any more--a few years back I leaned how to snowboard with my niece, who has since completely surpassed me, so we stopped going together so the old guy wouldn't slow her down--but I will heartily agree with how far the gear has come! From comfortable boots to shaped skis to warm and waterproof but still breathable and fast-drying materials, it's light years away from the gear I used learning to ski in the '70s.

I even think helmets are more comfortable than hats, aside from saving your noggin. (On one of my early boarding trips, I caught a back edge and bounced the back of my head on the ice. But for the modern gear, I probably would have been airlifted off the mountain.)
Old 02-04-2023, 01:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Very nice. Powder is addictive. You've got me scheming to maybe be gone 2x in a week.
Gotta grab it when you can get it!
Old 04-06-2023, 07:29 AM

It will go on for some but is done near home and I don't think I'll have time to escape a work project for more skiing and heal an injury fast enough. Best wishes to those of you who can squeeze some more in.

Our (my sports pals and my daughter) trips to where most don't go made a fantastic season. Some all time great moments in my life. Our last Boho trip was mostly too windy for lifts to run so we earned it. The photo is a needed rest just as about 2 feet of snow dumping stopped with a very angry Lake Superior in the background.

The Instagram links here are from a guy I was near a few times this season and we were the people he describes having the time of our lives. His tracks cover ours and where the bent tree is, we covered his. It was a few thousand feet of climbing and few miles of hiking to make that happen but wow was it magic.

His camera doesn't fully illustrate the steepness. Following my once little baby down steep untracked powder was as good as it gets. We were very lucky a guy in a UTV picked us up on our last hike of the day.

It is materialistic, but our Shaggy's were just WOW for the season. Ready, aim, charge with versatility I did not expect.

Best wishes to those still at it, and a happy next year.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqGlc1Iuxp7/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cp9R-2TPBj1/
https://www.instagram.com/p/CqOQQoIPSAS/

Old 04-14-2023, 07:30 PM

Spring looks good for my part of the Rockies!

2005 - Takamine G116 Classical
1985 - Alvarez 5021 12 (Hand Made, Japan)
1986 - Alvarez 5222 6 (Korea)
2011 - Alvarez MD711c
2010 - Ibanez A300 Quilted Maple
2013 - Martin Backpacker
1990's - Ovation Celebrity Dlx 6 - black
1990's - Ovation Celebrity Dlx 12 - natural
Old 04-16-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Colorado View Post
Spring looks good for my part of the Rockies!

Very nice. I hope you keep having fun. I've been sad my season is done but chatting with cousins in CO I learned one of their kids is still at it.

To better face the denial issues, MTB and ski gear is getting swapped in our mudroom closet.
Old 04-21-2023, 09:14 PM

Went. "Spring Skiing" at Arapahoe Basin (Summit County, Colorado) yesterday (4/20/23) but they had not gotten the seasonal memo... it was 13 deg and still winter!

how upload my photo on google
2005 - Takamine G116 Classical
1985 - Alvarez 5021 12 (Hand Made, Japan)
1986 - Alvarez 5222 6 (Korea)
2011 - Alvarez MD711c
2010 - Ibanez A300 Quilted Maple
2013 - Martin Backpacker
1990's - Ovation Celebrity Dlx 6 - black
1990's - Ovation Celebrity Dlx 12 - natural

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic