The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 01-28-2023, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Just to follow up on this ...maybe I'm just talking into the wind , but in case someone else reads in the future....I got the Kent Armstrong Jazzy Joe Humbucker and installed it today. It was a pretty easy process . Attaching the pickup to the existing pick guard was the trickiest part. I decided to use super glue and hope that it holds. So far so good.

It sounds better than I expected. Lots of really natural jazz tone. The only downside is that with the pick guard installed it doesn't give me much room to play my fingerstyle picking , so I'll be forced to play traditional jazz style with a pick. The fact that's a temp install using a plastic jack that I attached to the tailpiece, it feels a little fragile. I might consider drilling an end pin jack in the future after seeing how good this humbucker sounds.
There are others who will see your post, so it is useful.

A valid point about the magnetic pickup; that's a problem for many players. It's too bad that something like the Taylor magnetic can't be used easily. The Taylor has the pole piece magnetic pickups embedded below the fretboard end so they don't present a problem to the fingerstyle player.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:28 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
Just to follow up on this ...maybe I'm just talking into the wind , but in case someone else reads in the future....I got the Kent Armstrong Jazzy Joe Humbucker and installed it today. It was a pretty easy process . Attaching the pickup to the existing pick guard was the trickiest part. I decided to use super glue and hope that it holds. So far so good.

It sounds better than I expected. Lots of really natural jazz tone. The only downside is that with the pick guard installed it doesn't give me much room to play my fingerstyle picking , so I'll be forced to play traditional jazz style with a pick. The fact that's a temp install using a plastic jack that I attached to the tailpiece, it feels a little fragile. I might consider drilling an end pin jack in the future after seeing how good this humbucker sounds.
What part of the pick guard being installed interferes with playing fingerstyle? I ask because I play a 1930 Gibson L-5, and I don't find that pick guard interferes with my right hand at all, but everybody has different ergonmics, of course.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 02-01-2023, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Well, are you looking for an acoustic sound, or a plugged in electric type sound?
Could be wrong, but I'm guessing - based on his purchase - that the OP was looking for an electric sound.

What recommendations for a more acoustic kind of thing? I've got an acoustic Eastman AR805 that my kid uses for Django-like swing tunes in a duet/trio. Not sure he'll take my advice and use a pickup, but the mandolin and fiddle really drown him out.
Old 02-02-2023, 05:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Could be wrong, but I'm guessing - based on his purchase - that the OP was looking for an electric sound.

What recommendations for a more acoustic kind of thing? I've got an acoustic Eastman AR805 that my kid uses for Django-like swing tunes in a duet/trio. Not sure he'll take my advice and use a pickup, but the mandolin and fiddle really drown him out.
The OP answered the question in post #7.

For a more 'acoustic' amplified sound with an archtop like the Eastman AR805 your can try a film pickup by Pickup The World. It sits under the bridge legs.

The easiest option would be something like a Fishman SBT sound board transducer stuck to the front of the body. A separate preamp would help with tone shaping, etc.

The most acoustic option would be the Myers.https://www.amazon.com/Mandolin-Flex...gion_id=373786

Make sure to watch the video that's on the Amazon Myers listing. Ignore that the fact that it's listed as a mandolin pickup. It's still an archtop instrument with F-holes and can attach the same way.

HE
Old 02-02-2023, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post

On my Eastman archtop (originally an MDC805 mandocello, essentially now an AR805 6 string) I have an internal JJB SBT and the Kent Armstrong floating neck magnetic pickup I mentioned earlier. Also as posted up-thread the mag pickup is wired to the tip and SBT to the ring of a 1/4" TRS output jack. Using a 1/4" TRS chord I plug into a Baggs Mixpro preamp that lets me blend the two (or go all mag or all SBT). The output is a 1/4" mono TS jack.

I've used JJB SBT's successfully in every kind of acoustic stringed instrument - fiddles, ukulele, mandolins, banjos, guitars, upright bass...

If he gets a Sel-Mac style gypsy jazz guitar he'll be able to keep up volume-wise with the mando and fiddle. I have an Altamira that's incredibly loud unplugged.
Old 02-02-2023, 12:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
What part of the pick guard being installed interferes with playing fingerstyle? I ask because I play a 1930 Gibson L-5, and I don't find that pick guard interferes with my right hand at all, but everybody has different ergonmics, of course.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
The pick guard on my New Yorker runs from the bottom of the fingerboard almost to the bridge and it hugs the strings pretty tight. It could just be a technique adjustment thing. After playing it more I definitely feel more comfortable than when I first acquired the guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops