The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-31-2023, 10:04 PM

Default Recording my guitar…. Pretend I’m 5 years old

So, I want to do some basic recording of my playing for practice review and for my partner and I to record and listen to ourselves to help polish up our singing and playing. First I want to get a simple recording set up for just my guitar so I will stick to that at the moment.

So, I’m Looking for an inexpensive mic for acoustic guitar (under $150 or so) and everything need to connect it to my iPad. Trying to stay in the inexpensive world and good sound, something in the order of a couple hundred total.

Me… I now nothing about any of this at all, so talk to me like I’m a 5 year old. I’m assuming I need a power supply for a mic?… and some way to connect it to my iPad. Plus, what is a good not to hard to use recording software to use all this.

Trying to keep this simple, reasonable sounding and not to complicated to use…
Any help would be super, thanks….. and remember, I’m 5.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:58 PM

The iPad should have GarageBand on it, so I'd start there and use that as your DAW. It's free, so if you find you need something else, you haven't spent anything.

For a mic, you could get a USB Mic (like the Audio Technica AT2020USB) that would connect right to the iPad (I think, though you may need an adapter...I've never done recording with an iPad). I do connect a Shure MV88 to my iPhone for grabbing ambient recordings when I'm out & about. It should be similar for the iPad.

AT2020 USB: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...usb-microphone

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 02-01-2023, 03:31 AM
Charter Member

In the stickied thread, we have a beginner's guide full of information that should be helpful to you. it begins on the page linked below and runs for five posts.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...=594800&page=7
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-01-2023, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbflat View Post
So, I want to do some basic recording of my playing for practice review and for my partner and I to record and listen to ourselves to help polish up our singing and playing. First I want to get a simple recording set up for just my guitar so I will stick to that at the moment.

So, I’m Looking for an inexpensive mic for acoustic guitar (under $150 or so) and everything need to connect it to my iPad. Trying to stay in the inexpensive world and good sound, something in the order of a couple hundred total.

Me… I now nothing about any of this at all, so talk to me like I’m a 5 year old. I’m assuming I need a power supply for a mic?… and some way to connect it to my iPad. Plus, what is a good not to hard to use recording software to use all this.

You might consider a simple handheld recorder. These do an excellent job to capture and listen to a couple of players, and you can go further by importing the recorded tracks into your preferred brand of computer, etc. if you have a desire to do anything beyond listening to your recordings.

It has a threaded mount on the bottom that can be used with an inexpensive camera tripod. That's about as inexpensive as you can get.

I have a Tascam DR-05 that I am very satisfied with. I owned a Zoom H1 Handy recorder prior to getting the Tascam and really disliked it. I'm a longtime Zoom owner and own a Zoom R-20 currently, I'm just not a fan of the H1 recorder.

Last edited by Rudy4; 02-01-2023 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-01-2023, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbflat View Post

So first understanding that trying to stay in the "inexpensive world and good sound" is a bit of a contradiction in terms. Doable but one should keep expectations realistic about "good sound" ----- Lets say it is more like ,,With todays electronics, it possible to get decent workable sound (especially if only for "practice review") for anything more than just "practice review" like any publishing,,, the old adage You get what you pay for does begin to factor in.

As noted for going into a mobile device a USB mic can give workable usable if not great, results

Quick recording 101-- unless you are talking about a tube microphone you do not use a "power supply" but you will need a pre-amp (except for a the previously mentioned USB powered mics)

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-01-2023, 09:05 AM

based on your end goal I would look into a zoom handy mp3 recorder

VERY easy to use, no external dependencies, records right to mp3 on an SD card.

pop that in your lap top and send it where ever.

I have one and for this kind of stuff, IMHO it's the easiest solution

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-01-2023, 11:12 AM

For recording your practice while highly desiring simple and inexpensive I see these options.

Just use your phone. No, the mics aren't great, but they aren't terrible either and the times when I've had to use them the resulting recordings are credible documents of what was played.

Next step up: handheld recorder. Folks upthread have already mentioned some examples. Ideal for simple. Recording quality with their own mics is a bit better than using the built in ones on phones. For "just press record" type recording simpler than anything. The argument against this is that it's not worlds better than something you already have, a modern smart phone.

Middle path? A microphone that can connect to your phone. This should be as good as the handheld recorders. I don't have any experience to share there.

The argument for going directly to an audio interface and external microphone(s) is that you're starting out the way you will likely need to go if you want to get more deeply into recording. More potential quality and flexibility that way, but yes, a little more initial learning curve and likely expense.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-01-2023, 12:17 PM

Thanks all for the suggestions, I have a lot to research and digest. And an extra thanks for the pointer to the Pinned thread…… right at the top…… with big letters….. “comprehensive beginners guide” …. Right there for all to see. I should have known better.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:40 PM

FWIW, this was recorded with an zoom h1 recorder placed about 6 inches in front of an Fender Acoustasonic JR amp

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 02-01-2023 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-01-2023, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

RØDE - Electret Condenser Microphone
Model:VIDEOMIC ME-L

The above is the microphone I use with my I-stuff. I think it is
probably a pretty good one that's not too expensive.

-Mike

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD