The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-14-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
It's way outside of my range of experience but it sounds like you need a good sound reinforcement type setup that will handle the vocals well and then some sort of amp-modeler pedal or box for your electric guitar. They are generally designed to produce a complete (modeled) guitar tone including (modeled) impulse responses like a guitar-amp cab. And send the whole thing through some sort of full-range sound reinforcement system rather than a specific guitar amp.
This is my direction at the moment..Since I want my cake and eat it too (Vocal-Electric and Acoustic)
Maybe a Helix or some other modeler/IR-type pedal Into an FRFR or PA Speaker
I already have the Vocal/Acoustic pedal covered TC Helicon Perform-VG

Last edited by CASD57; 01-14-2023 at 12:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:09 AM

Check out the Harmony H620. It also uses 6L6 tubes and has nice clean tones. 3 band EQ, tremolo, reverb and attenuator for $650 shipped.
Old 01-20-2023, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
No PA speaker with any modeling will do what you want. I've been down that rabbit hole. The thing about a Twin is it moves a ton of air with 85 tube watts and 2-12" speakers. You won't get that with any PA speaker.

Believe it or not if you want a beautiful clean tone look for an older Peavey 212 SS amp. They can be picked up for peanuts and sound fabulous. There was a reason they were ubiquitous in the backline of country bands. They are heavy though. If you want a lighter amp, a Peavey Bandit is one of the greatest SS amps ever built IMO. The Peavey Transtube amp technology was absolutely spot on.
For Fun while I put together more money I pulled out my EAE M2-6 (50watts, 6in speaker)
Tried the Zoom G1-Four....sounds like poo
Tried the Zoom A1-Four...Sound more like poo
Going to try the Behringer GDi-21 V-Tone I've had laying around...Never really liked the pedal but I'll try
But I think the PA type speaker won't work like you said.... I had these pedals so I had to try
Old 01-20-2023, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

This morning, just for fun out of curiosity, having read this thread, I loaded in some settings to my Katana which are supposedly emulating the sound of a clean Twin amp. The patch that I loaded seems to basically turn Gain way down to maximize clean headroom and scoop the EQ controls a good bit.

Playing my Telecaster through it I can confirm that there’s no audible distortion no matter how loud I play. I even used a pedal to apply a good bit of clean boost to the signal, still no break up at all.

But here’s my question about the “clean Twin sound”. Do people generally find it to be very revealing of pick noise and any other little sloppiness in your playing? compared to my normal settings with a much flatter EQ and higher gain this Twin emulation makes it hard as heck to play smoothly and cleanly. Is that just considered part of the package?
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 01-20-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
This morning, just for fun out of curiosity, having read this thread, I loaded in some settings to my Katana which are supposedly emulating the sound of a clean Twin amp. The patch that I loaded seems to basically turn Gain way down to maximize clean headroom and scoop the EQ controls a good bit.

Playing my Telecaster through it I can confirm that there’s no audible distortion no matter how loud I play. I even used a pedal to apply a good bit of clean boost to the signal, still no break up at all.

But here’s my question about the “clean Twin sound”. Do people generally find it to be very revealing of pick noise and any other little sloppiness in your playing? compared to my normal settings with a much flatter EQ and higher gain this Twin emulation makes it hard as heck to play smoothly and cleanly. Is that just considered part of the package?
I found that also..going from acoustic to Clean Electric playing, My sloppiness shows and I'll need to clean up my playing
And Yes I remember my Twin also showed the slightest mistakes, but after all it will make you a better cleaner player..
PS
part of my problem was nut width....My epiphone has something like a 1.68 my taylor 1.75 So I'll use that as part of the problem
Old 01-20-2023, 12:25 PM

The Fender GTX50 I have has a really nice Fender Twin emulation that works for me, some of the Twin purists may disagree, but in my little world, it's a very cost-effective alternative to lugging around an expensive heavy cabinet.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 01-20-2023, 04:03 PM

If you want a Twin Reverb sound you need heavy iron, 85 watts of 6L6 tube power, 2-12" (JBL D-120F) efficient speakers, a long spring reverb and a nice large pine cab. I love smaller Fender amps but they are a different animal from the Twin Reverb. All the phony emulation presets, IR's and tiny amps with 8" speakers isn't going to get you there, I've gone down those rabbit holes. Now if you want just a nice clean sound at low volumes there are many options.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 01-20-2023, 04:17 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
If you want a Twin Reverb sound you need heavy iron, 85 watts of 6L6 tube power, 2-12" (JBL D-120F) efficient speakers, a long spring reverb and a nice large pine cab. I love smaller Fender amps but they are a different animal from the Twin Reverb. All the phony emulation presets, IR's and tiny amps with 8" speakers isn't going to get you there, I've gone down those rabbit holes. Now if you want just a nice clean sound at low volumes there are many options.
For what it's worth, I'm all about low volume personally.

So messing about with emulations is fun but I wouldn't have any use in the world for an actual Twin Reverb (unless it were a Tonemaster with the power scaling) or even an actual Deluxe or Princetone or Champ. All are far too loud for my living room.
Old 01-20-2023, 04:23 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth, I'm all about low volume personally.

So messing about with emulations is fun but I wouldn't have any use in the world for an actual Twin Reverb (unless it were a Tonemaster with the power scaling) or even an actual Deluxe or Princetone or Champ. All are far too loud for my living room.
Of course you are correct. I have a POD Go that I mess around with and get some great results, but it isn't like pushing air from a loud set of speakers. Last night at practice I wore IEM's and mic'd my amp. Vocals were great, but the guitars sucked big time. There isn't any substitute for volume.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 01-21-2023, 06:13 PM

I don't remember it being that loud at home but then I was standing in front of it and it was hitting me in the legs....It's like our TV, setting in front of it it sounds fine... but you wander around the room and realize just how loud it really is...
The funny thing about Clean....I really like the Clean sound you get from EL34's also ie.., a Marshall
I don't think people even know that a Marshall has a nice big-full clean without the harsh/shrill top-end you get from a Fender or even a Vox..
Marshall's clean has just a little hair on it
Old 01-21-2023, 06:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
I don't remember it being that loud at home but then I was standing in front of it and it was hitting me in the legs....It's like our TV, setting in front of it it sounds fine... but you wander around the room and realize just how loud it really is...
The funny thing about Clean....I really like the Clean sound you get from EL34's also ie.., a Marshall
I don't think people even know that a Marshall has a nice big-full clean without the harsh/shrill top-end you get from a Fender or even a Vox..
Marshall's clean has just a little hair on it
I'm pretty sure if you can literally feel it vibrating the legs of your pants (and that's not just a figure of speech) then you're pushing 100dB SPL, at least. Sounds get REALLY loud before stuff starts moving around.
Old 01-21-2023, 06:56 PM

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if you can literally feel it vibrating the legs of your pants (and that's not just a figure of speech) then you're pushing 100dB SPL, at least. Sounds get REALLY loud before stuff starts moving around.
Funny how 30 years smooths out the wrinkles of our memories
Old 01-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Funny how 30 years smooths out the wrinkles of our memories
In 1976 there was a bicentennial celebration here in town that had the most awesome fireworks display I've ever seen. Right before the end they had a series of huge BOOM fireworks that seemed directly over our heads (although I'm pretty sure you never do stuff like that over a crowd's head).

I remember the feeling of each boom slapping my pants legs against me and I've always wondered how many health and safety laws they broke that night. After those 8-10 bangs were done I was actually hoping they would stop because it started getting painful. There were probably 40,000 people who came away with permanent notches in their hearing!

But man, that was one awe-inspiring batch of fireworks.

P.S. Reading what I just wrote, I realize that's almost half a century ago. Mon Dieu!

Last edited by Brent Hutto; 01-21-2023 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-21-2023, 07:26 PM

if you get the chance try playing thru a Fender Bassman amp, about 40 watts, 4-10" speakers, you'll be amazed at the power of it.
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 01-21-2023, 08:55 PM

Quote:
For what it's worth, I'm all about low volume personally….
Me too, Brent. I started downsizing a few years ago to a couple of Super Champs, a Vox ac10 and a Blackstar head and cab with a MiniMASS attenuator.
Taking it one step further, I recently went the Yamaha THR 30ii route for quiet practice at any hour with unlimited eq and effects availability(app required) with or without headphones.

Running straight to the board or mic’ing, there isn’t a venue too large that these small amps can’t deliver at. It’s the new normal in quality sound reinforcement brought about not only by technology, but the ultimate aging of the baby boomer.
I’m happy.

frank d.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars