The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-06-2023, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushwood View Post
Another reply from iZotope this morning on Facebook Messenger when I asked them a question on whether I should download the most current Spire app or not. At least they’ve responded and done it quickly.
Attachment 85595Attachment 85596
It's discontinued and support has stopped. For the indefinite future, anytime you update either the Spire software or your computer's operating system (or your phone's if that's what you're using), you risk Spire no longer working. If you're committed to sticking with Spire, you should turn off automatic updates on your devices and lock yourself in place.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-07-2023, 05:39 PM

Quote:
FrankHudson: “The last software updates seemed to add (and encouraged subscribing to extra services to add more yet) some of Izotope's USP of "automagical" audio effects secret sauce.”

Hey FrankHudson, Would you suggest then to not update the Spire Studio if I’m prompted to download the latest one? You seem to say the earlier software versions were better overall.
I haven't used mine for a while and was close to writing it off when I last updated it around a year or so ago. I see you got another reply from Izotope below, and that would indicate that there's not great reason to update if yours does what you want it too.

I also agree with that response from Izotope that talked about it being a neat piece of hardware. I took a lengthy Izotope survey around the time I abandoned thoughts of making much use of mine, encouraging them to improve the software to make it a better overall product. Looks like that was near the last gasp of figuring out what to do with it.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-08-2023, 12:38 PM

Default If its not working then it probably wouldnt hurt to try this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Not sure if this is on point……
I have the Spire Studio, but it quit working, I communicated with the company looking for some help. What I got was “ we have determined that your unit is out of warranty coverage.”

That was it. No help whatsoever. I simply wanted it the work after sitting for many months. If it is not within the warranty period I guess they have no support for consumers. I bought another brand (last week!). Won’t be using Spire products in the future. It is their product and they can do as they will.
It’s my $ and I will do as I will. I really liked the unit, too bad….
Please follow the steps below:

1. Power off Spire Studio
2. Hold down the Soundcheck button.
3. Press the power-on button (keep holding down the Soundcheck button)
4. Wait until a single red LED in the center of the ring is lit (keep holding down the Soundcheck button).
5. While still holding the Soundcheck button, press the Record button. The single LED should turn blue.
6. Once the LED turns blue, continue to hold the Soundcheck button until you see four pulsating light-blue lights.
7. Let go of Soundcheck (finally!).
8. After about a minute, the light-blue LEDs should turn into four yellow track indicators around the LED ring. This indicates that the device is in recovery mode.
9. Connect Spire Studio to the app, and proceed with the firmware update. If you get an error downloading the firmware, please go to your Settings and switch to your home Wi-Fi network and then go back to the Spire app.

Here is a link to our article on performing a firmware update.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanenter5978 View Post

4. Wait until a single red LED in the center of the ring is lit (keep holding down the Soundcheck button).
5. While still holding the Soundcheck button, press the Record button. The single LED should turn blue.
6. Once the LED turns blue, continue to hold the Soundcheck button until you see four pulsating light-blue lights.
8. After about a minute, the light-blue LEDs should turn into four yellow track indicators around the LED ring. This indicates that the device is in recovery mode.
9. Connect Spire Studio to the app, and proceed with the firmware update. If you get an error downloading the firmware, please go to your Settings and switch to your home Wi-Fi network and then go back to the Spire app.

Thank you for this great info Ryanenter5978. There doesn’t seem to be the link of the article included though. Also, could you tell me the if you think the Spire 1st and 2nd generations will still work with Apple’s iOS 16? If not, what’s the highest iOS version you’d recommend staying with that would still be compatible with the Spire Studios?
Eastman T386SB
Aria Sinsonido AS-100C/SPL (customized to steel string)
Mid 1930’s Kay Kraft Deluxe K2 archtop
Seagull S12 converted to 6 string lap slide
Takamine TF740FS
2008 Pono PGKC (flamed Hawaiian Koa 0 cutaway)

Last edited by Brushwood; 01-09-2023 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2023, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Also, could you tell me the if you think the Spire 1st and 2nd generations will still work with Apple’s iOS 16? If not, what’s the highest iOS version you’d recommend staying with that would still be compatible with the Spire Studios?
I've had IOS 16.2 on my phone for a while, and just updated my iPad mini 6 to the same system software. Both still work perfectly with the Spire Studio 1st get - I couldn't imagine they wouldn't also work with the gen 2.

When I get home in March (we're down south for the winter), I have an earlier iPad that I'm gonna update to the latest system software it'll take and turn it into a dedicated Spire Studio device. The battery is largely fried, but I can leave it plugged in permanently in my music area and it should work indefinitely or until the Spire just dies of old age. We're also getting ready to move to Oregon not long after we get home this Spring, and we'll be flying back and forth each winter instead of driving, so I may buy another Spire, probably second gen, so I have one for each place and figure my older iPad should work with both of them.

This system is just so conducive to me actually USING it and recording stuff pretty close to spur of the moment that I'm gonna try to stay with it as long as I can. If I buy a regular 8 track Tascam or Zoom I'm gonna have to buy two mics for it (with the Spire, I use one external for voice and the built in condenser for guitar), and I'll have to set levels on each track - I just love the stuff the Spire automates. And DAWs like Garage Band just confuse the heck out of me anymore - I'm not into it enough to really get up to speed with those. The Spire doesn't do squat for my performances, particularly vocals, but that's a ME problem - not a tech issue!

-Ray
Old 01-16-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanenter5978 View Post

I wish I COULD try the steps you outlined. The unit will not power on……
Old 01-16-2023, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
I wish I COULD try the steps you outlined. The unit will not power on……
At least they make cool looking paper weights.

If you can find someone locally that does a bit of electronics repair you might think about having it looked at. It might be something really simple in the power supply section that could be fixed without excessive cost involved.
Old 08-30-2023, 06:30 PM

I've somehow lost my power adapter for mine and ran across this posting looking for an adapter. I've had it several years and have only tried to use it once. Thought I'd maybe give it another try but lost power adapter put and end to that thought but even if I had an adapter I doubt I'd ever bother to use it, I'm ultra low-tech and simplicity is an old mans friend, ought to just try and rid myself of it.

Anyone here use the spire?

Last edited by Jaxon; 08-31-2023 at 07:45 PM.
Old 09-19-2023, 07:21 PM

Default Believe it or not, mine still works

Am still using mine, and I’m almost afraid to say I’m quite happy with the results. The wife and I live in a senior apartment, and space is at a premium. I plug it in, connect with my iPad, and am getting some fairly impressive results using the condenser mic on the front. If it does go belly up, I’ll probably just use the iPad app and an Apogee mic.
I really dislike computer DAW. We only have some iPads, so it seems to still be meeting my needs
Rick Benjamin

Here’s a Wood Brothers tune called Pilgrim
https://clyp.it/044g4o0i
Old 09-29-2023, 11:03 AM

Mine is still functioning, but who knows how long that will last? I’m slowly offloading all my mixes from the Spire onto SD cards on a Tascam recorder. It’s not ideal, but it sounds ok and it allows me to preserve my original songs. I can re-record them another way at some future time if I want. I really liked the Spire. It had the easiest to use interface I’ve ever used.
Old 09-29-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I think in general people tend to update smart phones far more often and regularly than computers so the risk of potential obsolescence is greater.
Agreed. Most of us tend to replace phones every 2-3 years. My last desktop computer, however, lasted me nine years, and was still going strong, but needed some upgrades (RAM, GPU, storage) to keep up with my current needs and it didn't make sense to put the money into such an old system. I am still running some applications that are much older than that, but each OS release makes that more difficult.

One way to handle older applications on Windows and, I assume, MacOS, is to run them in virtual machines running older OS versions. This is also possible, but not easy to do, on Android devices and Chromebooks, but I suspect that because Apple doesn't allow sideloading on IOS devices it's probably not possible on iPhones and iPads.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD