The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 02-15-2023, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Yep. Everything I've read, watched and experienced in my brief-thus-far double bass journey bears this out.

I find playing a steady root-five rhythm really frees me up to listen to the other players, adjusting dynamics as needed.

Here is one thing I've learned - some of the folks I've played with for years and looked up to as great musicians have awful rhythm! They're pushing the beat every time they get a break/lead. They are focused on their playing and tuning everyone else out. Sure they play fast and clean and improvise well, but they ruin the song!

So far I can't rein them in at all.
The little BG combo I'm playing bass with right now are all pretty good on keeping time when they solo. But they all listen to the beat I'm giving them.

I played with a fiddle player a while back who was all over the place. I could never rein him in either and it was like you say, he was just listening to himself. I did learn a lot about playing bass playing with him though. But if they aren't listening to the beat you are giving them it can be a train wreck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments