The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 07:28 AM

Default Parlor guitar, esp Breedlove

I’ve been reading a lot of online pages and discussions about parlor guitars, and I’ll probably get one in pretty soon. I have a Gibson dreadnought with a big sound, and I think a parlor guitar would have a nice tonal contrast to that guitar.

From what I’m reading, I’m most focused on Breedlove and Alvarez. My first acoustic guitar when I was 16 or so was a cheap Alvarez. And I played a cheap Breedlove in a guitar shop recently that had a really nice sound. But the discussions and reviews point toward those two parlor guitars (the Breedlove is a “concertina”, slightly larger than a strict parlor guitar design, and I think the Alvarez AP66 is also slightly larger).

There’s a local guitar shop where I should be able to play both.

Who knows Breedlove’s hierarchy of models? I’m looking at a “Discovery “ model, which has a solid top and ply back/sides. Not a dealbreaker, but it looks like there’s a “Signature” model similarly priced that’s solid woods. But I wouldn’t be able to play one unless one of the local Guitar Centers has one. And I’d rather not go to Guitar Center. Then there’s the “Performer” models which cost a bit more but are probably more serious instruments?

This guitar will get played at farmers markets and open mics, so a pickup is something I’d like to have. I play bass in a band that’s going on hiatus soon, so I’ll be looking for gigs, and maybe this guitar will be used that way… though I’ll probably rely more on my good old Gibson.

“Discovery” guitars are aimed at beginners, which I’m not. But Discovery is the one I can play locally and buy from a small shop I’d like to support. And all solid woods would be nice, but I won’t turn down a nice-sounding guitar that has ply back/sides.

Ruled out Taylor, Fender, Ibanez, Gretsch. I’m open to suggestions, there are lots, but I’m definitely spending several hundred dollars here, no way I could approach or exceed $1000. No Collings!

Sorry this is so long. I’ve read discussions on this forum for a long time, but apparently never joined before now.

My acoustic guitar history: Alvarez, cheap Fender, Guild D-25, I actually owned a Gurian for 5 years or so, Tacoma Papoose currently with Nashville style tuning, Gibson J50 (1970 with square shoulders, these are not supposed to be good guitars, but I like mine quite a bit).

Last edited by standup; 09-24-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:24 AM

Play the discovery and see what you think of the neck. Breedlove necks are very much like electric guitar necks to me. They are very nice guitars if you like the neck. Alvarez are very nice too and personally I like the necks more.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 09-24-2021, 08:39 AM

I've never played the Breedlove, so can't comment on it. I had the Alvarez AP66, which I loved so much I gave it to my son (because he needed it more than me). The AP66 hits above its weight class in my opinion and is well worth the $350 - $400 it costs. It's a good looking guitar too.

You might also check out the Yamaha CSF line of parlor size guitars. The CSF1M has a solid Sitka spruce top and laminated mahogany back and sides. The CSF3M is the same except with solid mahogany back and sides.

In the Concert size (the next step up in size), Yamaha has some pretty nice guitars in your price range. Yamaha tends to provide very good value.

Last edited by GoPappy; 09-24-2021 at 08:47 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Breedloves, IMHO, are great guitars, and still a good bargain. I've been impressed with most of the ones I've picked up, though I don't have much experience with the Discovery series. As you hinted, the Concertina model (14.8" lower bout), is larger than a typical parlor. Actually, it's even a bit larger than a typical 00-size body. Their Companion series (13.5" lower bout) is closer to a parlor, in case that's what you're looking for. You didn't mention if nut width is a requirement. I believe all of the "Designed in Bend" models, like the Discovery, Organic, etc have 1-11/16" nuts.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:31 AM

I値l be able to play both of these in the next few days. I知 pretty flexible on scale length and nut width, I think, but when I can play these I値l know whether the neck, nut, width, dimensions will work for me.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

That'll help a lot.

Another thing I like about Breedlove is the variety of tone woods they offer. And their layered back/sides are a step up from the usual, using mahogany instead of a softwood for the core. I do think they could do themselves a favor by simplifying their lineup, which can be confusing.

Anyway, good luck with the hunt. I'll be interested to hear how it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by standup View Post
I値l be able to play both of these in the next few days. I知 pretty flexible on scale length and nut width, I think, but when I can play these I値l know whether the neck, nut, width, dimensions will work for me.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:46 PM

I'm doing the exact same thing. Looking at the Breedlove Companion, but thinking the Concertina would be more of a parlor. Also wondering how the size and sound of the Concertina compares to the Taylor GS mini.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

I have a Concertina and had a GS Mini e-Koa for the better part of a year. Not similar at all. All the Concertinas are 12fret so the bridge is placed more centrally on the lower bout. That along with its larger size gives the Concertina more boom in the bass end. Mine is quite a bit more responsive than the mini. And the scale length is greater. Again, the Concertina really isn’t a parlor size guitar. More of a 00+. I found the Mini was good for playing on the couch. But the narrow nut and short scale ended up being too cramped for me. Best to try them both out of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AE-19 View Post
I'm doing the exact same thing. Looking at the Breedlove Companion, but thinking the Concertina would be more of a parlor. Also wondering how the size and sound of the Concertina compares to the Taylor GS mini.
Old 09-24-2021, 04:50 PM

Thanks, KevinH! That comparison helps. A couch guitar is exactly what I'm looking for. I only noticed the Martin 000Jr-10 a little while ago. It's an instant contender.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:47 PM

Duplicate.
Old 09-25-2021, 03:49 PM

So I spent this afternoon at a guitar shop, and played several parlor-esque guitars (the Alvarez and Breedlove are both larger than a parlor, more like an 00) mostly Alvarez and Breedlove, but also a used Stella. Tanglewood, I think.

The Breedlove Discovery concertinas were very bright guitars. Quick and responsive, but very bright and a little thin sounding. Fun to play, but I壇 be waiting for the strings to age a bit and lose their brightness.

The Alvarez AP66 had a darker tone, more low end, a woodier tone. Equally loud. I think if I had only Breedlove Discovery models to choose from the Alvarez would have been my choice. But the personality of the tone has a lot in common with the Gibson dreadnought I have. And if I want a part with big lows, the Gibson is the guitar to use

So then I played a Breedlove Artista series, and that痴 what I walked out with. Not thin and bright, it has a more focused tone, stronger fundamentals. All solid woods, it looks like, unlike my other choices. The Alvarez was still bigger in some ways, but the Artista has a sweet tone.

Also, with the Breedloves the first concertina I played was a 14-fret, and was the brightest of them all. I then played a 12-fret Breedlove Discovery, which had a fuller tone, because the body is bigger (I assume). But the Artista had even mor3 fullness, less brightness, and a very nice tone.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion