The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2021, 09:04 PM

Default SAD Furch Story !

So I bought unseen and paid for in full one of the upcoming Furch 40th Anniversary models.

(to be made with the Ash tree that was growing in their yard and been drying for five years)

Tonight the dealer informs me that the price has gone from 5k to 8k !!

I told him we have a contract and that he will be in breach.

He refunded me and claims to be the victim of Furch's misinformation.

I want the guitar but not the hassle of a lawsuit.

I wrote to Furch and to their U.S. Rep.

I'm so disappointed at what feels like a naked cash grab and the lack of integrity with Furch. I'm hoping they step up and take responsibility but I fear they may have gotten arrogant from their success... I don't know, really bummed out over this :-(

Any advice?
Old 09-23-2021, 10:52 PM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRQ View Post
So I bought unseen and paid for in full one of the upcoming Furch 40th Anniversary models.

(to be made with the Ash tree that was growing in their yard and been drying for five years)

I'm so disappointed at what feels like a naked cash grab and the lack of integrity with Furch. I'm hoping they step up and take responsibility but I fear they may have gotten arrogant from their success... I don't know, really bummed out over this :-(

Any advice?
Unless your letters to Furch can get you some kind action, (like a discount on the same model?) it looks to me like you're out of luck? He returned your money... Who knows what arrangement when on, between the dealer, and the company? Once somebody returns your money, you've been made whole again....

Don
Old 09-23-2021, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lampson View Post
Unless your letters to Furch can get you some kind action, (like a discount on the same model?) it looks to me like you're out of luck? He returned your money... Who knows what arrangement when on, between the dealer, and the company? Once somebody returns your money, you've been made whole again....

Don
I should specify that I didn’t ask for and do not want the refund. Is he not therefore still contractually bound to deliver ?
Old 09-23-2021, 11:20 PM

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
I should specify that I didn’t ask for and do not want the refund. Is he not therefore still contractually bound to deliver ?
Maybe he can't get the guitar for the same price when he took your money? Maybe he can't get the guitar, at all? Do you really think the dealer should have to eat the difference for a company's price bump? He returned your money. What more do you want?

If you think the dealer is pulling some kind of a fast one on you, why are you still trying to deal with him? Find another dealer....

Don

Last edited by Don Lampson; 09-23-2021 at 11:22 PM. Reason: add words
Old 09-23-2021, 11:41 PM

Quote:
It is really not the dealers fault. Why are you hell bent on causing misery to him?
Old 09-24-2021, 04:32 AM
Charter Member

$8000 for a guitar with ash as the tonewood?
Old 09-24-2021, 04:57 AM

If Furch increased their price, then the dealer would have to follow suit in order to maintain a similar profit margin. If OTOH the dealer just felt like increasing their profit on an unchanged price, then I'd be cutting ties with them.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
They refunded your money, so no, they do not have any other contractual obligation to you.

Old 09-24-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:

Frustrating. Sounds like you did everything you could, and the dealer did too.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

I don't know if this has changed at all, but two years ago I had an issue with a Furch guitar and I spoke to the importer rep directly for the US.

At that point he seemed very earnest and helpful and pretty straight up.

I would suggest using the distribution contact info from here and see what they have to say.

https://furchguitars.com/us/about-us/contact-us/
Old 09-24-2021, 09:59 AM

I wonder if the Dealer sold it to you at the wrong cost and it really should have been $8k. That makes more sense to me than Furch accepting the $5k order from a Dealer only to come back at a later time and asking the Dealer for another $3k on the previously accepted order.

How many days transpired between your payment and then the notification?
Old 09-24-2021, 10:47 AM

I've had this happen in the past on orders,, but not with that wide of a varience.

a few hundred bucks, which the store actually cut in half for me. I ate 50% they ate 50%

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 09-24-2021, 02:29 PM

Few months back I was interacting with a Furch dealer in Czech Republic for a custom order but then I had a sweet deal on a Lowden. The Furch was very nice and very cheap, around 2k in USD, cedar over rosewood, slotted head, some nice appointments etc. I can’t believe a Furch can cost 8k.. even 5k sounds way too high. Go on the web, find a Czech dealer and try to get your target guitar possibly for even less than 5k. My 2 cents..
Old 09-24-2021, 03:55 PM

Default Follow up

Had a long talk with the dealer, a really great guy, Eddie Carlino Guitars in Mass.
He is so fed up and hurt by Furch that he's ready to throw in the towel on them.

Story goes that they got such phenomenal demand for these 40th anniversary Ltd's (only making 40 total, 15 for U.S. Market) that they changed the pricing, leaving the dealer in the lurch and then decided that they would demand to have prospective buyers fill out an "audition" form and they will then choose the most "worthy" applicants (the main item on the form is "how many Furches do you own so not looking good for me).

In other words, the dealer got screwed just as bad as me and Furch's behavior and respect for their dealers and customers leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote:

Any advice?
Old 09-24-2021, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
$8000 for a guitar with ash as the tonewood?
Not finding much info on the web what can you tell me about Ash? I read that it has some nice fundamentals a la mahogany ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion