The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2021, 12:36 PM

Default Best fingerstyle guitar money can buy?

What is the best un biased fingerstyle guitar money can buy? "no budget"

I am looking at froggy bottom or lowden but open to others and not sure which models are best for fingerstyle from them. I want to buy 1 guitar and keep it forever hopefully it will even appreciate in value down the road.
Old 09-22-2021, 12:51 PM

I find guitar preferences are very personal and what I like may not suit you at all. That said, I have a Froggy Bottom L deluxe with a Koa body and spruce top that is a magnificent finger style guitar. I also use it flat picking in bluegrass and fiddle ensembles and it works wonderfully. The L is Froggy’s smallest bodied guitar but has great projection and presence in addition to it’s wonderful balance across the registers.

I also have some vintage Martin and Larson parlor guitars that are outstanding finger style instruments. However, if you’re not into the vintage vibe, a new Froggy might be a better choice.

Guitars:

1910's Larson/Stetson 1 size guitar
1920 Martin 1-28
1987 Martin Schoenberg Soloist
2006 Froggy Bottom H-12 Deluxe
2016 Froggy Bottom L Deluxe
2021 Blazer and Henkes 000-18 H
2015 Rainsong P12
2017 Probett Rocket III
2006 Sadowsky Semi Hollow
1993 Fender Stratocaster

Bass: 1993 Sadowsky NYC 5 String
Mandolin: Weber Bitterroot
Old 09-22-2021, 01:11 PM

What is the best un biased fingerstyle guitar money can buy? "no budget"

Mine, but you can't have 'em
Old 09-22-2021, 01:19 PM

Are there guitars that cost more than Olson?
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-22-2021, 01:19 PM

I only have dreads but my Santa Cruz D12 is great for finger style.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtyb View Post
Agreed! probably my most regretted sale.

I'll add Collings Traditional OMs are fantastic finger pickers.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtyb View Post
That's probably the guitar I would buy right now, or possibly a Bourgeois in the same configuration.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

For my finger style experience a Froggy Bottom C (00 model) provides a big full sound with a very soft touch. The model size and shape is extremely comfortable. I consider this one to be the perfect 00 for my taste. I will add the SCGC 1929/00 gets honorable mention. It is a sweet little guitar that has personality and comfort in spades. We’re all different so, of course, YMMV.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Froggy Bottom is a great option... I really like Kevin Ryan's guitars and Tom Doerr's guitars too. Jeff Traugott also builds nice finger style instruments.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Q: Best fingerstyle guitar money can buy?

A: The one YOU like the best after having tried those that interest you. Price is not an indicator of whether or not the guitar is right for you.

Tony
Old 09-22-2021, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Q: Best fingerstyle guitar money can buy?

A: The one YOU like the best after having tried those that interest you. Price is not an indicator of whether or not the guitar is right for you.

Tony
I think this ^^^ is it. I could tell you the best fingerstyle guitar that fits my tastes for instrumental playing. That would be Kevin Ryan's Nightingale, cedar top over rosewood. But you might not like the sound of the Nightingale. You might also not like the size of the Nightingale. It's fairly large. You might not like that longer 25.7" scale on the Nightingale, which places the frets further apart and increases string tension.

Froggy Bottom makes some very nice guitars. I own an Olson SJ (cedar top/EIR B&S), and while I love it for accompaniment, I don't think it's the ultimate fingerstyle instrumental guitar from my viewpoint.

I like a full sound across the sound spectrum and I like sustain. Not everybody does. Some people think my choice of guitars have too much bass. Pete Huttlinger played his instrumental pieces on a Collings OM1A (I also own one), which has a very clear sound with reduced bass compared to an Olson or a Nightingale.

The player's ability to play the guitar is the primary control over how good any guitar sounds. Tommy Emmanuel can make a $2500 Maton sound pretty good.

My recommendation is for you to know what you like in the way of sound and playability and look for that.

- Glenn
Old 09-22-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
I think this ^^^ is it. I could tell you the best fingerstyle guitar that fits my tastes for instrumental playing. That would be Kevin Ryan's Nightingale, cedar top over rosewood. But you might not like the sound of the Nightingale. You might also not like the size of the Nightingale. It's fairly large. You might not like that longer 25.7" scale on the Nightingale, which places the frets further apart and increases string tension.

Froggy Bottom makes some very nice guitars. I own an Olson SJ (cedar top/EIR B&S), and while I love it for accompaniment, I don't think it's the ultimate fingerstyle instrumental guitar from my viewpoint.

I like a full sound across the sound spectrum and I like sustain. Not everybody does. Some people think my choice of guitars have too much bass. Pete Huttlinger played his instrumental pieces on a Collings OM1A (I also own one), which has a very clear sound with reduced bass compared to an Olson or a Nightingale.

The player's ability to play the guitar is the primary control over how good any guitar sounds. Tommy Emmanuel can make a $2500 Maton sound pretty good.

My recommendation is for you to know what you like in the way of sound and playability and look for that.

- Glenn
Glenn makes some very good points. In addition, I'll add that nut width and string spacing, along with your preferred neck carve/shape will have a lot to do with the best for you. What scale do you want? Then there are the tone woods you prefer, body size and shape (as Glenn mentioned), bells and whistles (arm and rib bevels, sound ports, slot head or solid head, standard or fan fret, cutaway or non?). Fret board radius, fret size.....

After owning many different guitars, I am in the process of having one custom built by a luthier (Steve Sheriff/Edwinson guitars) as I've come to realize my unique preferences for all those things mentioned above, and a lot of things that haven't been mentioned, was just not going to be available of the rack at any price. It took several years and trying many different guitars to come to that conclusion.

If you can't answer the questions I've mentioned above, my suggestion would be to get a Lowden, or a Froggy, maybe a Santa Cruz or a Collings or (insert brand preference here) used. Keep it for a while. Figure out what you like or don't like about it, then sell it. You probably won't loose much, if any money. Go play as many as you can get your hands on. That's the only way your going to figure out what is the best for you.

Bottom line - there is no best guitar for fingerstyle, but there is a best guitar for you to play fingerstyle on. It's just a process to find it, and it takes a while.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:07 PM

It isn't for sale
Old 09-22-2021, 03:19 PM
Charter Member

Depends on how much you want to spend. There is no such thing as the 'best fingerstyle guitar money can buy'. Only the 'best fingerstyle guitar that money you have to spend can buy'. Too many other variables to name the best. Like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, the best guitar is in the hands and ears of the player!

You have named two excellent brands in Froggy Bottom and Lowden. You can go up and down from there in $$$$$. Great deal on one of the very best Froggy Models out there (the H-12) in a killer Carlton case in the classifieds right now for a steal. And for that kind of money, Martin Authentics, any of the boutique builders and then the small shop guys all come in to play.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:18 PM
Charter Member

Olsons, Doerr, Ryan are a few that come to my mind from listening to them here and on vendor websites.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion