The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2021, 12:35 PM

Is it possible to have an A/B video Bose S1 + stompmix vs EAE D6-58? Please
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-22-2021, 01:04 PM

I can give a description of the difference.

The S1 has more low end at low volumes because of the way it is ported, but also bottoms out sooner when you push the volumes.

The mids are very similar.

The highs on the D6-58 are more defined and clear, but the S1 has wider horizontal dispersion.
Old 09-22-2021, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

Having bought used the D6-8 80 watt version of this, I have to agree on many levels about the features and functionality of this amp. I think the only thing I miss not having the D6-58 is the side pole mount - other wise, the 80 watts has been fine for most of what I’ve wanted this for, but I will say that you can add one or two S1s very successfully, and get amazing coverage. I’ve not needed it for playing out, but I did run a little test in the warehouse -

My one drawback is the buttons for setting up and adjusting everything take a bit of getting used to - I think thats really more a question of spending more time getting to know the unit, and remembering to save and name scenes so I have standard starting points. But it was a bit intimidating at first - as are many electronic devices that offer so much flexibility and customizable options -
Old 09-22-2021, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Is it possible to have an A/B video Bose S1 + stompmix vs EAE D6-58? Please
I could with time but you likely wouldn't notice the difference with the 'recording gear' (my phone) I use. See the comment directly below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
I can give a description of the difference.

The S1 has more low end at low volumes because of the way it is ported, but also bottoms out sooner when you push the volumes.

The mids are very similar.

The highs on the D6-58 are more defined and clear, but the S1 has wider horizontal dispersion.
This is an accurate and excellent summary of the capabilities of these two systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadol View Post
Having bought used the D6-8 80 watt version of this, I have to agree on many levels about the features and functionality of this amp. I think the only thing I miss not having the D6-58 is the side pole mount - other wise, the 80 watts has been fine for most of what I’ve wanted this for, but I will say that you can add one or two S1s very successfully, and get amazing coverage. I’ve not needed it for playing out, but I did run a little test in the warehouse -

My one drawback is the buttons for setting up and adjusting everything take a bit of getting used to - I think thats really more a question of spending more time getting to know the unit, and remembering to save and name scenes so I have standard starting points. But it was a bit intimidating at first - as are many electronic devices that offer so much flexibility and customizable options -
I agree with both points. I would have gone for the D6-8 Pro if it had been battery capable and the pole mount is great to have as well.

As for the 'programming', generally speaking I'm excellent at learning these types of things (I read tech manuals for fun) so while the EAE system did take a little bit to learn, it was by no means bad. Every manufacturer has their little quirks and it's just a matter of learning them. I do like that they only have 10 'scenes' or memory slots. When I have used units with a hundred you invariably end up just creating more new and new scenes to the point where you can't remember what is what. With 10 you have enough to experiment but not so many that you lose track.

One thing to remember is to save your scenes! I remember taking time to create a really good scene and then 'going back' to a previous to check something and losing my changes. I found the best way to do this is to get a really great tone that you like with your guitar (or mic) and once you are happy, save it to all 10 scenes! That way you can build from there. If you don't and just save the one scene then decide to go to build the next scene you'll be starting from scratch. Of course you can always just go back and load the previously saved scene and then save to a new one. But I much prefer to get my starting points with my guitar, my mic and my wife's mic to scene 1 saved then start adding/tweaking various options and save them to the next scene. That way, all three inputs are carrying over, even if I'm only making changes to one.

Last edited by Methos1979; 09-22-2021 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 02:18 PM

Default NAD: EAE D6-58 120W Battery Powered Acoustic Guitar And Vocal Amplifier

I bought the original version of the D6-8 amp, which was a motorcycle type battery and only 40 watts. Elite Acoustics won me over as a customer for life when they updated it to the mark ii version for a reasonable fee. The update doubled the wattage to 80 watts and replaced the battery with a much better LiPro one.

I had both amps for a while and at low volumes they sound virtually identical. It’s just the extra headroom, the side mounted controls (when on a speaker stand), and the beautiful wood cabinet that made me switch. I gave the D6-8 to my son who is also a musician. The mixer features are identical. Both are wonderful amps. The D6-58 is about a third bigger than the D6-8.

Last edited by lkingston; 09-22-2021 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:48 PM

Congratulations on your new amp day!
It looks and sounds great!
Old 09-23-2021, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Update to add new video of D6-58 and dual Bose S1's combo demo - see top post.
Old 09-23-2021, 01:05 PM

How would you say maximum useable volume coming out of the D6-58 compares to maximum useable volume coming out of a single S1?
Old 09-23-2021, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
How would you say maximum useable volume coming out of the D6-58 compares to maximum useable volume coming out of a single S1?
Excellent question and I suppose it goes a bit to answering Cuki79's question farther above about how the D6-58 would compare to the S1/X6 combo in total volume output. The simple answer is, no contest. The level of volume coming out of all three speakers was approximately 'the same', meaning to my ears they sounded about the same volume. At close range the D6-58 was still clear and articulate but the S1's were right on the verge of just being overwhelmed.

In their defense, this level of gain was WAY above what an S1 is designed to do so the fact that it was still holding its own (albeit barely) is a testament to just how much more you can get out of an S1 if you preamp the signal in front of it. From farther out, the S1's were throwing a little more low end (surprisingly) and of course more dispersion although both of these things were difficult to distinguish from a distance with the sheer cacophony of the wall of sound coming out on that last time through.

Although it was an interesting exercise in overall capabilities, most people adopting either of these systems would never need this much power or volume. I know we never will. While you can do it, I doubt most would. That kind of power should and usually is reserved for full PA systems. For a solo singer/guitar player or even a duo like my wife and I, either of these systems would work fine alone and quite frankly give more than enough power as needed all by themselves for any venue be it indoors or out.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Nice! Even with the phone mic self-adjusting, it was very apparent the set up with all three was definitely punching out there. As a guess, I'd say you gain another 15º beyond what the EAE throws when you add the 2 S1s... that would handle a good size audience for such a compact set up. As is, you have a bunch of options with these three units.

Thanks for sharing this with us!
Old 09-23-2021, 05:25 PM

First off congratulations on the new EAE, she’s a beauty. Thank you for another great review, I always enjoy your real world reviews with real world playing. I appreciate all the time and effort you put into these demos, as I am sure everyone else does.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:57 PM

Ive got the A1-4 and the M2-6 II
I use the A1-4 in my Office and love it...but outside is where the M2-6 outshines the A1-4
I should try them together outside

I found my battery amps... I sold off all my other amps and FRFR
Old 09-23-2021, 10:05 PM

My opinion from this test-
The clarity of the EAE alone seemed to drop off dramatically only about 10-15 degrees off axis from the center. Maybe the Bose are not quite as crisp but the dispersion advantage of even just one S1-pro has certain advantages….
This biased opinion is from an owner of multiple S1- pro’s
Old 09-23-2021, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REO View Post
The clarity of the EAE alone seemed to drop off dramatically only about 10-15 degrees off axis from the center. Maybe the Bose are not quite as crisp but the dispersion advantage of even just one S1-pro has certain advantages….
The clarity comes from high frequencies produced by the EAE tweeter.

Those are very directional, that is why Bose top end is 16kHz and not 20kHz. If I remember well the L1 compact goes up to 13 kHz only.

Methos1979 has a very flexible PA system. All battery powered, digital mixer, tuneable spread, and throw. Nice.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 09-24-2021, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REO View Post
Yes I heard that also... If Methos1979 has outside gigs or very big rooms I would not sell the Bose.. The trio is a very nice sound and coverage.
I'm sure the EAE would be fine in every other place.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification