The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 03:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

I flew United from Boston to Denver and back again earlier this month. My Martin D-35 (in a good quality gig bag) was easily stored in the crew closet near the door on both flights, just for asking in a nice way. My sense was that the flight attendant was more than happy to do it, to ensure more overhead bin space. YMMV, as they say..... but kudos to the United crews for honoring my request. A smile and a big "thank you!!!" goes a long way......
Old 09-24-2021, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capefisherman View Post
I flew United from Boston to Denver and back again earlier this month. My Martin D-35 (in a good quality gig bag) was easily stored in the crew closet near the door on both flights, just for asking in a nice way. My sense was that the flight attendant was more than happy to do it, to ensure more overhead bin space. YMMV, as they say..... but kudos to the United crews for honoring my request. A smile and a big "thank you!!!" goes a long way......
100 percent agreed. Smile and be polite but don't take no for an answer though from those who are ignorant of the law either. Just nicely ask for a Supervisor if need be and you'll get it onboard 90 plus percent of the time. Again, crew are usually smart. Gate agents...not so much.
Old 09-24-2021, 03:38 PM

Too late for the OP, but I also fly Southwest a lot and at least 10 times with a guitar and although I am always a bit nervous about it, not once was anything said, I always carried it on, I tried to be as polite as I could about where I put it and feel great about flying SW with a guitar.

I do not bring a carry on with me ever so I never use overhead space unless I have a guitar, I do feel a bit bad taking up room, but most time I take up zero overhead space so I think it all works out.

One time I was in line to board SW on one side of the columns with my guitar and on the other side was a whole bluegrass band, they had every instrument with them except the stand up bass! No problem at all for SW.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post

One time I was in line to board SW on one side of the columns with my guitar and on the other side was a whole bluegrass band, they had every instrument with them except the stand up bass! No problem at all for SW.
Southwest Airlines Rocks!
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 09-24-2021, 06:04 PM

Before the pandemic, most of my flights were international, and I almost exclusively used foreign airlines (mostly Asia-based airlines, which provide much more pleasant flying experiences than US domestic airlines - another story for another thread). A handful of times I tried to carry on some other non-foldable parlor guitars I owned at the time. Didn't matter if the airport was in the US or elsewhere: the guitar was being checked in, without question or exception.

This is one of the reasons that I got the Little Jane(s). They dissect nicely into a backpack, and as long as I'm not flying little regional jets with tiny overhead bins, I can bring them onto the main cabin, no matter where I'm flying or what airline I'm flying on. And for the first time, I own travel guitars that I don't feel I'm compromising on tone and playability. I look forward to flying overseas with one of these in the near future, fingers crossed.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:11 PM

Default Some info here

http://flyingwithguitars.com/
Old 09-25-2021, 03:50 AM

There's no doubt that flying internationally things have become much more difficult. In 1997 I flew economy from Ireland to Australia with a few days stopover in Kuala Lumpur and then took a couple of internal flights in Australia.
I brought a Lowden in a hard case with me and was able to bring it into the cabin on every flight without a problem.
Old 10-04-2021, 12:21 PM

Sorry I am just getting back around to report back.

I flew to Louisville from Houston with my Rainsong absolutely without a hitch. Both legs, there and back, were smaller regional planes. In both cases they asked me to first try the overhead bin (knowing full well it wouldn't fit but I just kindly obliged) and when that didn't work they rearranged a front compartment which I think is for crew belongings and let me put it there. Both legs I sat in the back of the plane and in both instances when I got to the front of the plane a crew member was holding my guitar waiting for me as I deplaned

It was a very pleasant experience.

-------THE FLEET-------
2014 Martin GPCPA5 (1st guitar, bought 12-24-2014)
2014 Martin D15M
1967 Framus Classical
2015 Epiphone DR-100
1989 Squire Telecaster
2010 Fender USA Strat
2015 Reverend 6-Gun
2016 Tom Anderson Drop Top-T
2016 Gibson Hummingbird, Ebony Finish

Vox AC10, Fender Mustang II

Good Golf, Good Tennis, or Whatever You Like To Q!
Old 10-04-2021, 02:00 PM
Charter Member

That's great. I'm glad it went so well. In most cases, if you are nice about it the flight crew will want to help you.
Old 10-04-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedbaby View Post
Sorry I am just getting back around to report back.

I flew to Louisville from Houston with my Rainsong absolutely without a hitch. Both legs, there and back, were smaller regional planes. In both cases they asked me to first try the overhead bin (knowing full well it wouldn't fit but I just kindly obliged) and when that didn't work they rearranged a front compartment which I think is for crew belongings and let me put it there. Both legs I sat in the back of the plane and in both instances when I got to the front of the plane a crew member was holding my guitar waiting for me as I deplaned

It was a very pleasant experience.
As it should be. Glad to hear everyone did what they were supposed to do.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Fly first class class if you can. The flight crew is much more accommodating.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:01 PM
Charter Member

I just flew United rt to Seattle. One stop on the way and two on the return. Since I fly out of Bangor, Maine, the plane was a smaller commuter jet with very shallow overhead compartments. The flights were basically full as well. While United did not require "carry ons' to be gate checked, they were but one step away from that. I saw a guy with an electric guitar which fit over head, but it was not an easy fit with the other baggage. Frankly, I am always surprsied at the difference between what is technically defined as a "carry on," and what people actually bring on.

I came away from the trip now appreciating that where you fly from and to also has to be considered because you could find yourself on a plane that simply does not have the space by virtue of its design, compounded by the number of passengers who carry on large bags I have never flown with a guitar. But when I do, it will be with a flight-worthy case. The idea of leaving my guitar in a conventional case at a gate to be checked would make for a very unpleasant flight, or worse.
David
Old 10-05-2021, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
Fly first class class if you can. The flight crew is much more accommodating.
Yep, private jet? Even nicer!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion