The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-19-2021, 02:07 PM

Default Traveling with a guitar, United.

***UPDATE PAGE 4***

Traveling for the first time with a guitar…taking my Rainsong which is in a hard case and it fits nice and snug. I called the airline, United in this case, assuming they’d have a definitive answer. My thought was I’d hate check it like a stroller. When I called they said it’s airport and size-of-plane dependent and that they were sorry they didn’t have an across the board answer unless I wanted to buy a seat for my guitar which I’m not doing.

I really don’t want to just toss it under the plane like a regular piece of luggage but I’m happy to gate check it.

Airport will be IAH in case that helps…and the travel is domestic.

Thank you in advance

-------THE FLEET-------
2014 Martin GPCPA5 (1st guitar, bought 12-24-2014)
2014 Martin D15M
1967 Framus Classical
2015 Epiphone DR-100
1989 Squire Telecaster
2010 Fender USA Strat
2015 Reverend 6-Gun
2016 Tom Anderson Drop Top-T
2016 Gibson Hummingbird, Ebony Finish

Vox AC10, Fender Mustang II

Good Golf, Good Tennis, or Whatever You Like To Q!

Last edited by Freedbaby; 10-04-2021 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:21 PM

Yes, gate checking is a better option if you can't take it into the cabin with you. I always pay the extra for preferred seating where I can board early, and then it's easy to find a place to stow the guitar on most planes. That said, I haven't flow United for years.
Old 09-19-2021, 02:31 PM

Google and get rules. The government addresses it. If there is room when you board the Airline is required to allow you to store it on board if there is not they can require you to check it. Of course if you’re on a really small plane where there is a room for a guitar case you wouldn’t be expecting to carry it on anyway. When I was researching this a few years ago I heard that some airlines didn’t follow the law and it could be a good idea to bring the regulations with you so that there’s no question.
Also you have to Google united breaks guitars some good music there
Old 09-19-2021, 03:43 PM

Google "United Breaks Guitars". a true story and a blast - I assume this is no longer the case with United.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 09-19-2021, 03:48 PM

Be polite and cheerful and friendly to all airline personnel when you come to check in.
Do NOT quote the rulebook at them. Be prepared to gate check - you may wish to read up on what that entails.
Old 09-19-2021, 04:37 PM

A Rainsong should be a great choice for a checked guitar--pretty indestructible. I recently shipped a Composite Acoustics guitar and had no doubt it would arrive safely.

I remember checking an acoustic guitar in a hardshell case for a flight from Idaho to Pittsburgh.
I used underwear to pad the headstock and neck. Seemed like a good idea to reduce the luggage in my carry on.
Wouldn't you know they inspected the guitar case as a random search...

Last edited by guitararmy; 09-19-2021 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

Gate-checked guitars get put in the luggage hold just like other checked bags. They are spared getting tossed on and off carts and trams, though.

Buying a seat is no guarantee, either. I once saw a young cellist who bought a seat have to plead with a FA, who was quoting safety regs about all carry ons going in bins or under seats. She eventually agreed to put it in her crew locker once the tears started.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-19-2021, 06:20 PM
Eric Skye

I would say next time fly Southwest, or if it’s not too late change airlines . I’ve flown on Southwest hundreds of times with my Santa Cruz 00 in its case and have never not gotten it both on-board and in the overhead. Every other pro I know it feels the same way about Southwest. I won’t fly any other airline with a guitar. Well, once in a while Alaska, they can be good too. But never the other big ones..
Old 09-19-2021, 07:43 PM

^^^^^
This!

I've flown Southwest dozens of times with a guitar and they don't even blink an eye when arrive with it on my back (TRIK case) and even will tell me which part of the plane has the most overhead room.

I'm flying Southwest next month with it and fully expect to have no problems once again.

Best and good luck,
PJ
Old 09-19-2021, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedbaby View Post
Traveling for the first time with a guitar…taking my Rainsong...
I saw Tom Paxton here in Portland, OR about two years ago, and he was playing a carbon fiber guitar. I believe it was a Rainsong. He said he travels with it because it's less likely to get damaged.

As others have said, pay for early boarding if you can, carry it to the plane, but be prepared to gate-check it. When you gate check you'll it back when you get off the plane.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-19-2021, 08:34 PM

One more vote for Southwest. I have traveled with my full size Martin OM and my Voyage Aire and never had to check a guitar.

Ron
Old 09-20-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alundy View Post
Google and get rules. The government addresses it. If there is room when you board the Airline is required to allow you to store it on board if there is not they can require you to check it. Of course if you’re on a really small plane where there is a room for a guitar case you wouldn’t be expecting to carry it on anyway. When I was researching this a few years ago I heard that some airlines didn’t follow the law and it could be a good idea to bring the regulations with you so that there’s no question.
Also you have to Google united breaks guitars some good music there
Please don't go waving printed regulations at the flight crew. They have ultimate authority regarding your baggage and aren't "required" to do anything. Smile, be nice, and ask if there is room in a closet if your guitar doesn't fit in the overhead or if they are all full. Most of the time, they will safely store it for you. If they can't, you may have to gate check, which I've done many times with my GS Mini in it's soft case and it's been fine. Another point, my guitar case is my carry-on, not an additional piece.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
Please don't go waving printed regulations at the flight crew. They have ultimate authority regarding your baggage and aren't "required" to do anything. Smile, be nice, and ask if there is room in a closet if your guitar doesn't fit in the overhead or if they are all full. Most of the time, they will safely store it for you. If they can't, you may have to gate check, which I've done many times with my GS Mini in it's soft case and it's been fine. Another point, my guitar case is my carry-on, not an additional piece.
lol...I won't, that's not me. Im a southerner, born and raised in Texas where we get more flies with Honey than a flyswatter!

Thanks for all the replies, however I can't change airlines because I won't get to where I need to go. I'll just play it by ear. Not that I want something to happen to the guitar, but it's not sentimental and it's totally replaceable so if something happens, the airlines will just replace it. They did tell me on the phone they have insurance for all luggage.

-------THE FLEET-------
2014 Martin GPCPA5 (1st guitar, bought 12-24-2014)
2014 Martin D15M
1967 Framus Classical
2015 Epiphone DR-100
1989 Squire Telecaster
2010 Fender USA Strat
2015 Reverend 6-Gun
2016 Tom Anderson Drop Top-T
2016 Gibson Hummingbird, Ebony Finish

Vox AC10, Fender Mustang II

Good Golf, Good Tennis, or Whatever You Like To Q!

Last edited by Freedbaby; 09-20-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Old 09-20-2021, 10:34 AM

Back in the day, when I was a young sailor traveling home on leave, I never thought twice about checking my guitar with my regular luggage. I never had a problem doing that...
Old 09-20-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtsteve View Post
Generally it's not the flight crew who will give you a problem but rather the gate attendant. They always want to check my guitar. Some say the magic words "gate check" but some really want me to have it run with all the regular bags (ummm...no). "Waiving the regulations around" will possibly work with the gate attendant and, if not, with their Supervisor. The option to bring on a guitar is not up to the gate personnel, it's Federal Law. Yes, always be nice to the flight crew and yes, they'll often accommodate you if there's room in the crew closet.

The main thing is to stick to your guns (the government gave you this law for you to use) and yes, be polite but firm. Here's a recent example of airline people doing the wrong thing (contains link to the United Breaks Guitars" video - so a 2 for 1 here): https://liveandletsfly.com/flight-at...-violin-rules/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion