The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-16-2021, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post

The release of Virtuo and Solace had me thinking about how I've spent my time during the pandemic. I mostly stayed at home, got my Covid vaccines and ordered a lot of stuff online. Meanwhile, Alistair conceived of and brought to fruition two guitar models that previously did not exist. I had to chuckle when he said that Covid gave him "a creative shot in the arm." To many living in American and the UK, Covid gave them 2 shots in the arm.

Ah, the life of a creative person deep into his career. Being a retired guy, I spent most of the last year and a half staying away from people. Still wanting some sort of music outlet, I started doing a series of "Staying at Home" videos. If nothing else, I got better at making videos. First ones were with an iPhone. Then, I added an MV88+ mic for better audio. My wife commented on the lousy lighting and bought me a small ring-light. I started using a 360 camera in conjunction with the iPhone for some variety in position. This led to my music partner and I doing several music videos, sending music tracks and video clips between states (TX and SD for me, AZ for him). He did the music production, I did the video editing.

What does any of this have to do with the Virtuo? Well, nothing, thanks for asking. But, I did use my X10 on the majority of those videos... partially because it was the guitar I had with me when we were out in our motorhome last year, but it gets used plenty when we're back in Texas.

If I didn't already have the X10, I'd be all over that Virtuo. Almost makes me want to put a band together... well, except I'm still pretty much staying away from people.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Anyone get any actual play time on a new Virtuo?

Curious as to whether the neck is x10 identical, or somehow different. How it compares to the typical Fender or Gibson -esqe (recognizing their necks are all over the place really).

I personally find the Emerald necks good, but all mine E get progressively wider as they near the body (string spacing to the fingerboard edge increases slightly), but it does not bother me - don't see this on the typical F or G neck.

They seem to be shipping a lot of them. I wish I had the $ maybe
Old 10-06-2021, 07:53 PM

Could I ask the difference between Virtuo setting and a normal Emerald X20 with acoustic magnetic pickup (i.e: Sunrise pickup)? So what situation I would like to go with Virtuo instead of an acoustic guitar with magnetic pickup?

Sorry I'm novice in electric guitar. I may ask a stupid question.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 10-07-2021, 03:28 PM

Default Emerald Virtuo video

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere. Nice exposure for the Virtuo from a well-known youtuber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tmji6ySBdE
Old 10-07-2021, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
Could I ask the difference between Virtuo setting and a normal Emerald X20 with acoustic magnetic pickup (i.e: Sunrise pickup)? So what situation I would like to go with Virtuo instead of an acoustic guitar with magnetic pickup?

Sorry I'm novice in electric guitar. I may ask a stupid question.
I think you’d go for the Virtuo if you were primarily an electric player with a need of some acoustic tones every once in a while. If you were mainly an acoustic player who needed a bit of a boost occasionally, you’d go for an X10 with a Krivo humbucker.

You can’t get a conventional soundhole mag pickup into any current Emerald (except maybe a Synergy X7), so that’s not a good point of comparison.

Check out the recent shipping videos - I think Mr. Hay had a pretty good explanation of the choice recently.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-08-2021, 08:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumokids View Post
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere. Nice exposure for the Virtuo from a well-known youtuber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tmji6ySBdE
Thanks for that introduction to Kfir Ochaion..

Incredible player and a fine example of some of what the Virtuo can do.
Old 10-10-2021, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

I have a few electric guitars to sell, and then maybe I’ll look into one of these. Or, I’ll keep an eye on Reverb for any who have tried it and decided against it. My band may be starting again, and this would be a great addition for me.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-10-2021, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

How does a Virtuo compare to a Taylor T5 at half the cost? I know the T5 is not CF, I'm referring to tone and versatility.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

I admit, I'm very interested in finding out more about the Virtuo from someone that has one. I had been in the market for a hybrid acoustic/electric guitar that I could travel with, and carbon fiber is certainly easier to travel with than wood.

I bought a T5z Taylor and found that I wasn't crazy about the feel of the guitar. I am sure it is just me, but it felt plasticky and toy-like so I returned it. I had decided to go with a PRS Hollowbody II w/ piezo (core model) and have been scouring eBay and Reverb to find one with a top I like. But now I'm giving the Virtuo some thought.

My only hesitation is that I would like to occasionally play some more jazz sounding chord melody stuff and hence the desire for a hollowbody. Every demo I have seen of the Virtuo has been oriented towards rock (as makes sense given it's a solidbody guitar). But I'm hoping to find someone that has one that can use the neck pickup and tone controls to see if I can get a passable jazz tone out of it.

But if I had no interest in jazz, I'd be all over one of these. The prices are higher than the Taylor, but a lot less than the core PRS models so it seems reasonable to me now.
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 10-20-2021, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post
I admit, I'm very interested in finding out more about the Virtuo from someone that has one. I had been in the market for a hybrid acoustic/electric guitar that I could travel with, and carbon fiber is certainly easier to travel with than wood.

I bought a T5z Taylor and found that I wasn't crazy about the feel of the guitar. I am sure it is just me, but it felt plasticky and toy-like so I returned it. I had decided to go with a PRS Hollowbody II w/ piezo (core model) and have been scouring eBay and Reverb to find one with a top I like. But now I'm giving the Virtuo some thought.

My only hesitation is that I would like to occasionally play some more jazz sounding chord melody stuff and hence the desire for a hollowbody. Every demo I have seen of the Virtuo has been oriented towards rock (as makes sense given it's a solidbody guitar). But I'm hoping to find someone that has one that can use the neck pickup and tone controls to see if I can get a passable jazz tone out of it.

But if I had no interest in jazz, I'd be all over one of these. The prices are higher than the Taylor, but a lot less than the core PRS models so it seems reasonable to me now.
Those Fishman Fluence pickups allow you a lot of tone control; along with the right amp, you should have no issue getting the sound you want.
Old 10-20-2021, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedwahine View Post

Aah, but the Virtuo is not a solid-body guitar. It’s a slimline X10 with an electric guitar orientation and pickup arrangement. I agree with Captain Jim - I’d be very surprised if you couldn’t get a passable to excellent jazz tone out of it, assuming appropriate amplification.

It would be cool if Emerald would showcase the Virtuo’s more mellow side in a video or two.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-23-2021, 06:43 PM

Wondering how it compares with the fender acoustasonics.

Is it possible to add a mic type pickup to the piezos? That would really give the acoustic side a huge boost compared to the competition.
Old 10-23-2021, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniel View Post
Wondering how it compares with the fender acoustasonics.

Is it possible to add a mic type pickup to the piezos? That would really give the acoustic side a huge boost compared to the competition.
The build quality will probably be significantly better, but it won’t have the modeled acoustic sound electronics.
Strandberg Boden Original 6
Eastman T185MX
G&L ASAT Classic USA Butterscotch Blonde
Rickenbacher Lap Steel
Voyage-Air VAD-2
Martin SW00-DB Machiche
1968 Guild F-112
Taylor 322e 12 Fret V Class

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber