The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 08-23-2021, 10:12 AM

Welcome to the forum, I hope your medical issues resolve 100% and you have many many years to play classical guitar.
Old 08-23-2021, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Welcome to the forum, I hope your medical issues resolve 100% and you have many many years to play classical guitar.
Thank you. It was caught early, but stomach cancer can get tricky, hence the heavy guns. PET scan shows it is localized. I am doing everything the doctor tells me, and drastically readjusting my diet (less meat, better choices in meat, huge boost in good veggies, and almost total cutting of carbs). I plan on sticking around a bit- just bought a new guitar
Old 08-23-2021, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_in_fw View Post
This may seem a weird question, but has anyone here gone through chemo treatments? I am doing FLOT, which is a pretty aggressive treatment. It hasn’t affected my fingernails yet, but it could. Just wondering if anyone experienced problems, and what they may have done about it. I already take collagen because it helps with my knee, but I may bump it up.

Lots of folks on this forum have had various chemo and radiation treatments. Side effects and severity are related the medications and dosages.

There are some threads on this forum concerning some of the side effects. Here is one:

Drug induced neuropathy
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=619234

There are lots of potential side effects. Talk to your oncologist and read about the side effects of the specific meds you are being given. That way you ( and your significant other)can be on the look out for them and start addressing them earlier rather than later.

Again, I hope the best for you and your treatment.

-Tom
Old 09-13-2021, 09:07 PM

Welcome and best wishes. Classical guitar is strong medicine. Look up Rob MacKillop on YouTube. He is a genius multi-instrumentalist and plays without nails. He has a video on why and how - the technique is a bit different and comes from lute playing, which is done without nails.

He can also lead you into Celtic music which is lovely and easier than full on classical to get you playing beautiful music quicker.

I also suggest using tabs, tabulation notation rather than full notation. Again, much easier to get going promptly.

Kindly let us know how it goes. - Stevo
Old 09-15-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Thanks all for the welcome. I have already received Werner’s first volume, and will ordering more.

My one question is why is the classical guitar held at a 45 degree angle?
Generally speaking that is the proper way to hold it. But if you are more comfortable at 35deg then go for it. It makes it easier on the wrist and frankly the whole body really. You don't have to reach out as far which would promote bad posture.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Thought I’d introduce myself. My name is Owen. I am a 53 year old man recently diagnosed with stomach cancer. Things look good, listening to the doctor. I am making some dietary changes to help (bad diet is the leading cause of my cancer). Walking a lot more to keep strength. For my emotional fitness I am looking to learn classical guitar. Music has always been my spiritual reset. I have ordered a Cordoba C7 to assist with my mental health. The last guitar I ever owned was 1990. I worked overtime all summer for a great Les Paul. My junky uncle decided he wanted it more. It crushed me when he stole it. But where I am now is “why am I letting one instance mess my life up?” After talking to my father, I decided I need to put it behind me and do what brings me joy. So, I am jumping back in. I will be the one lurking and asking dumb questions. Thanks for listening.
Music is a great healer. My best to you during your recovery, and welcome!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-17-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
... It hasn’t affected my fingernails yet, but it could. Just wondering if anyone experienced problems, and what they may have done about it...
You might find it much more enjoyable and have better tone if you just cut the nails off. I know I did.

The same doesn't apply to steel strings, you need some nails with steel.

Google "guitar modern times pdf" and download that series. A lot of nice one-pagers in there for the impatient.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical