The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 08-17-2021, 05:16 PM

Default Anyone own, owned, or have played a Gold Tone six-string mandolin?

(Or mando-guitar, or manditar, or whatever you want to call it if you're a mandolin purist shaking your fist right now...)

Thinking about adding one of these to the toolbox as an instrument that can add some mandolin-ish texture to recordings without any kind of learning curve. Leaning towards the less-expensive A-style model, but the F-style one does look pretty cool. The latter does come with a pickup installed, not sure how often I'd use something like that though.

I do have a really cheap Rogue mandolin that one of my kids or my wife got me for some occasion in the past, which I've tried putting in a guitar-friendly ukulele tuning before, but it's ultimately just a cheap mandolin and I didn't love the sound and it hasn't really inspired me to play it regardless of tuning. I ordered some new strings to see if that helps any, but I'm not super optimistic.

I like the idea of the wider fretboard and E to e tuning of the six-string style, and I really like some of the sounds I've heard from it in a couple demos and this video in particular:

I'd love to get that kind of a sound and tone from an instrument, even if it's a bit of a niche thing that isn't a "real" mandolin. I feel like I'd be able to leverage two decades of guitar playing a lot easier and quicker on something like that and have it sound convincing than hack on a cheap mandolin...

Thoughts?
Old 08-17-2021, 07:05 PM

I played an F-6 a couple years ago at Elderly Instruments. I have had other Gold Tone instruments over the years, so I liked the quality of the instrument. But, as I played it, it just didn't click with how/what I like to play. Maybe it was the octave thing, or maybe it was the scale length (which I doubt, because I love my Pono guilele). Maybe it was me and I needed more time with it. I just don't know. I think you need to try one for yourself and see if it works for you. Sorry I couldn't help more.
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Last edited by ifret; 08-17-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:55 PM

I have a place in Titusville, FL, around the corner from Goldtone and have gotten to know the people there a bit. Even played some gigs with one of the guys and jammed with the owner at a local open mic. Good people

I tried an F12 in their showroom and while the double course strings made it sound more like a mandolin, it was very difficult to play. I know I tried a 6 string at one point and it was much more playable, but I don't think it's worth the price. It's still a pretty cheap laminate chinese made manditar. Maybe $300 new would be more reasonable in my view, but that's just my view.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frets4fun View Post
I played an F-6 a couple years ago at Elderly Instruments. I have had other Gold Tone instruments over the years, so I liked the quality of the instrument. But, as I played it, it just didn't click with how/what I like to play. Maybe it was the octave thing, or maybe it was the scale length (which I doubt, because I love my Pono guilele). Maybe it was me and I needed more time with it. I just don't know. I think you need to try one for yourself and see if it works for you. Sorry I couldn't help more.
No, this is helpful! Makes me think that since I'd likely have to order one of these sight unseen it would probably be in my best interest to do so from a retailer with a generous return policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I have a place in Titusville, FL, around the corner from Goldtone and have gotten to know the people there a bit. Even played some gigs with one of the guys and jammed with the owner at a local open mic. Good people

I tried an F12 in their showroom and while the double course strings made it sound more like a mandolin, it was very difficult to play. I know I tried a 6 string at one point and it was much more playable, but I don't think it's worth the price. It's still a pretty cheap laminate chinese made manditar. Maybe $300 new would be more reasonable in my view, but that's just my view.
Yeah, that was my guess with the 12-string versus the six-string models. And I hear you on the price, maybe there are some better investments for my tonal toolbox
Old 08-17-2021, 10:50 PM

I’ve played both the Gold Tone and the version Gibson was making for a while, and the conclusion I came to is that it was basically a crappy little guitar. They don’t really ring out like a mandolin or fill in like a guitar.

You could call it a “worst of both worlds” situation.

I’ve played multiple examples of both brands, and this sort of built-in mediocrity seems to be characteristic of the instrument, because all of them were sort of stifled-sounding.

So I can’t recommend them, frankly. It’s one of those things that seems like it should be a great idea but really isn’t.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 08-18-2021, 04:45 AM

Have you considered an Emerald Amicus? Lots of love for them in the CF section of the Forum. Full disclosure: I have one incoming...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 08-18-2021, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I’ve played both the Gold Tone and the version Gibson was making for a while, and the conclusion I came to is that it was basically a crappy little guitar. They don’t really ring out like a mandolin or fill in like a guitar.

You could call it a “worst of both worlds” situation.

I’ve played multiple examples of both brands, and this sort of built-in mediocrity seems to be characteristic of the instrument, because all of them were sort of stifled-sounding.

So I can’t recommend them, frankly. It’s one of those things that seems like it should be a great idea but really isn’t.
Thanks for the first-hand review, Wade. I actually ended up stumbling upon a nearly identical post from you over a decade ago in response to a similar post, so I’m wondering if you’ve played one of the more recent Gold Tone models or if your experience is is with the older versions. Not that there would be massive differences compared to the latest iterations, just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philjs View Post
Have you considered an Emerald Amicus? Lots of love for them in the CF section of the Forum. Full disclosure: I have one incoming...
I hadn’t seen those, interesting! I think I’d be looking for a more traditional silhouette, though I would love to own a carbon fiber instrument at some point because I think it’s such a cool space. I’m sure the engineering on those instruments backs up the soundhole size and location. That and I’m looking in a different price bracket for now, but those do seem really nice. I hope you enjoy yours!
Old 08-19-2021, 09:51 PM

Ataylor, I’ve played some recent examples and they haven’t gotten any better.

whm
Old 08-19-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Ataylor, I’ve played some recent examples and they haven’t gotten any better.
Good to know, thanks!

I’m thinking based on your review and the others here, I may just wait and see if one of these turns up at a local store or somewhere I could check one out.

I’m now wondering if this is something I really want to spend on anyways — I’d probably rather put the money towards something I’d use more often like a Fender Vibro Champ or Princeton Reverb…
Old 08-20-2021, 11:07 PM

Definitely try before you buy. You’ll probably be sorry if you don’t.

Of course, if you’re really curious and the retailer is easy going about returns, that’s a possibility. But I think there’s a reason that they haven’t swept the nation.

whm
Old 08-23-2021, 06:16 PM

As a dealer, this is disheartening to hear. I haven't played one and as yet had no inquiries about them. Any opinions about how it stacks up as a plug-in?
Old 08-24-2021, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Roberts View Post
As a dealer, this is disheartening to hear. I haven't played one and as yet had no inquiries about them. Any opinions about how it stacks up as a plug-in?
I think they use the same soundboard transducer on many instruments. It's basic and fine, but not what most of us would consider pro level. I'll be at the factory in a week or two and will see if they have a 6 I can put my hands on. They didn't when I was down for 5 months last winter. Their instruments would come in the door, get set up and out the door to dealers really quickly.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments