The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-12-2021, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Default Help me identify this sound absorbing material?

This last weekend I attended a Traditional Archery event in the mountains that I started over 20 years ago. Loads of fun!
It is a small group of people in two cabins back to back. We do lots of things, Traditional archery, axe throwing, Music Jams, and more.
Often we have a a dedicated building project. One year we built Cajons. And they sound better than any store bought ones I have ever heard.
Think of Boys scouts times ten, for adults who never want to grow up...Yep that is us. This year besides Music, archery, we built shields and defended ourselves against a mini Trebuchet. Oh yeah, and lots of Pranking...lots of pranks-jokes played on each other. We view it as the best weekend of the year. Music Galore.
Anyway...one of the other things that happens at this event is we bring our..left over- unwanted stuff...and give it away to members. Actually, I made up six custom knives and game them to members of the group. It was a contest actually, with...lots of pranking. But in the end you won a knife.
I was given this sound absorbing material from one of my good friends. He says he purchased it in the 90's for his stereo room. He bought two rolls but only needed one.
I have already purchased a premade 4 piece freestanding panels that used 703 corning. But it came precovered, so I do not know what 703 looks like in the raw.
Before I start building more frames for this new material, I want to make sure it will be worth the time and materials to build. After all, lots of changes in 25 years time.
Can you help me Identify this material? Two feet wide by about an 1 & 1/2 fluffed up. Seems to have a bluish tint to grey material interwoven with other fabric like material?
By the way, I am the crazy looking guy with his hat turned sideways holding the Dragon Shield. We made those up their in a day.

Old 08-12-2021, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Looks like denim insulation.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-12-2021, 01:00 PM
Charter Member

Can you tell me more about demin insulation? Is it worthwhile sound material? How well does it absorb?
Old 08-12-2021, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Can you tell me more about demin insulation? Is it worthwhile sound material? How well does it absorb?
It's cotton. Should be able to find info online about the properties of that.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-12-2021, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Looks like denim/cotton to me as well. I have a bunch of cotton-based panels. The R-ratings are reasonable, tho it depends on how thick, what you do with it, etc

https://www.atsacoustics.com/acoustic-eco-panel.html

https://www.acoustimac.com/acoustic-...on/ecoinsul421
Old 08-12-2021, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

Yep like Rick said it's Cotton blue denim probably recycled
It was an eco-friendly alternative to fiberglass insulation and is said to be better than fiberglass batting for sound absorption. Entirely usable but I doubt it's quite as good as 703 for broad band absorption
BTW 703 looks somewhat akin to spray urethane foam.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD