The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-20-2020, 11:05 AM

Congratulations! It looks really nice. I hope to play an Eastman with a thermo top.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

Congrats on your new guitar. Enjoy.........
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 07-20-2020, 12:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Congrats, Steve! That's a beautiful guitar, and the TC models are something special. I'm glad that Ted and Helene were able to take such good care of you. I've been looking to add a Mahogany/Sitka OM, but haven't decided between E6 vs. E10 (and standard vs. TC).
Yeah, this was my dilemma too. The E6OM is a remarkable value for money considering it has the modern 00018 in its sites. I was strongly headed that way as I generally prefer sitka over Adi, but I knew I wouldn't be settled until I tried a torrified top. I've been reading about them for so long, I was keen to try one.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 07-21-2020, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Congrats, Steve! That's a beautiful guitar, and the TC models are something special. I'm glad that Ted and Helene were able to take such good care of you. I've been looking to add a Mahogany/Sitka OM, but haven't decided between E6 vs. E10 (and standard vs. TC).
I played a non TC E10OM at Denver Folklore and it is what sold it on me - they didn't have a 6 to compare though. Interesting as I remember the non TC 10 having livelier bass than my TC that arrived.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-21-2020, 12:14 PM
Charter Member

Every guitar can be a little different (and for a variety of reasons). I own two Rosewood/Adi OMs (E40OM, E20OM-SB), and their voices are different. The "40" is more blended and incredibly well balanced, while the "20" is more scooped with more pronounced bass. It took about two years for the "20" to find its voice (it was tight, dark, brooding), but now, what a voice it has!
Old 07-22-2020, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmel555 View Post
I wondering.....if the Eastman OM is 24.9 scale and the difference between Martin's OM and 000 is just the scale length (25.4" on the OM, 24.9" on the 000); why does Eastman call this model an OM instead of a 000?
Having "E1000" or "E20000" model numbers would be more confusing than they already are???
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 07-23-2020, 06:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by personatech View Post
Having "E1000" or "E20000" model numbers would be more confusing than they already are???
Differentiating zeros from the letter "O", those models would be E10OO and E20OOO. Zeros are skinny and O's are fat.
I like to add a hyphen to make E10-OO and E20-OOO.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:45 PM

I too am wondering if it’s worth splurging the extra 500$ or so for the TC?
Old 05-06-2021, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicbeaver View Post
I too am wondering if it’s worth splurging the extra 500$ or so for the TC?
Yeah, it is a tough one, isn't it? I have the TC and LOVE it, but hard to say if it is $500 better than a non TC
Line 6 Helix.

Old 05-06-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
Yeah, it is a tough one, isn't it? I have the TC and LOVE it, but hard to say if it is $500 better than a non TC
I'm sure we're entering 'cork sniffer' territory here (i don't know if that term applies to guitars as it does with fx pedals), but as someone who's about to pull the trigger on a non TC it would be good to know. Has anyone out there played both?
Old 05-06-2021, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Default TC vs non-TC

I am not sure where the $500 figure came from, but actual street pricing is (maybe was) closer to a couple hundred. The MSRP difference from an E20OM- to the -TC version is $265. The MSRP difference on the E10s is the same. Once you get into MAP (MSRP less 20%) and then actual street price (maybe another 15% but who knows these days), the difference between TC and non-TC is about $200 bucks. I have owned (2) E10M-TC, E10D-TC and currently own E8D-TC and an E6D-TC which probably has a torrefied Alpine spruce top. I have owned others that are non torrefied. The TC versions just strike me as offering more right out of the gate. I previously owned an E8D and the torrefied version I now own seems to just fill the room. It is a richer more complete sound. I definitely wouldn't call it a 30+ year old played in guitar. The standard versions are no slouches. It just may take a little time to open up.

Please note my experience is from a very limited sample pool. I like the TC versions. I also have a 3 year old E40OM that I wouldn't trade for a new E20OM-TC. I guess the bottom line is I like Eastman guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion