The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-08-2020, 10:22 PM

You know, this isn't an OM, but was incredible! https://www.chicagomusicexchange.com...tural/26862169
Old 07-08-2020, 11:18 PM
Charter Member

I said earlier: "I'm wondering.....if the Eastman OM is 24.9 scale and the difference between Martin's OM and 000 is just the scale length (25.4" on the OM, 24.9" on the 000); why does Eastman call this model an OM instead of a 000?";

and llew responded:
Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Your guess is as good as mine?
llew, My only guess is there is more demand for OM's than 000's and Eastman wanted to market as the more "popular" model designation OM. Ultimately, the specs are what they are regardless of the designation, but I find it curious. Please anyone, if I'm totally off base on this let me know. And, I'm not knocking Eastman at all as I've played some REALLY awesome Eastmans at VERY fair prices. Nice materials, workmanship, etc. In fact I'm close to pulling the trigger on an Eastman Les Paul Jr.

To the OP: Regarding your question re thermo-cure, which I guess is Eastman's torrefication(?). Some folks are sold on it and some not. Some think it's a gimmick or are suspect about what happens down the road on torrefied wood. Just speaking for myself...I've played a number of torrefied tops and my Bourgeois is cooked Adi. I think it's worth it if you can cover the cost.

Last edited by gmel555; 07-08-2020 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:09 AM
Charter Member

My guess as to the name is that OM = Orchestra Model and refers to the body shape, rather than the scale length. Even Martin has had OMs with both scale lengths at various times in their history, although they've been consistent for some time. I actually like that they named it after the OM name, and with the exception of their 00 models (there's no alternative name for that body size), it's consistent with the rest of their Traditional Series naming logic.

This is probably more info than necessary.

Body size:
E20P; P = parlor
E2000; 00 = 00
E20OM; OM = orchestra model
E20D; d = dreadnaught
E20SS; ss = slope shoulder

They also have additional suffixes for finishes:
E20SS/v; v = antique varnish
E20OM-SB; sb = sunburst finish
E20D-TC; tc = thermocured (torrified)

The initial number refers to the wood combinations:
E1: Sapele/Spruce
E2: Sapele/Cedar
E6: Mahogany/Sitka
E8: Rosewood/Sitka
E10: Mahogany/Adi
E20: Rosewood/Adi
E40: Rosewood/Adi (premium)

The AC Series is their original acoustic line and follows a Taylor methodology.

AC + xxx (number for body size, where first number indicates wood combo)

AC422CE = AC + GA body size (x22) + Rosewood/Sitka (4xx) + cutaway + electronics
AC630-BD = AC + jumbo body size (x30) + Maple/Englemann (6xx) + blonde body finish

Ok, lesson over... class dismissed.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:25 AM
Charter Member

I agree Brian. The Traditional models that begin with "E" are more Martin like. The models that begin with "AC" are more Taylor like.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-09-2020, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I agree Brian. The Traditional models that begin with "E" are more Martin like. The models that begin with "AC" are more Taylor like.
I had an opportunity to buy a really nice older AC series for a song last week, but I was still early in my research. They sure look like a lot of guitar for the money. But yeah, I want to try one of the Es. I found another Eastman dealer locally who has a 6 and an 8, neither are TC of course, but I'll go play them and add to my research. Fun journey so far.
50th Anniversary Fender Am Std Strat.
Gretsch 6120 Nashville Players in Blue.
Line 6 Helix.

If I played as much as I read threads, I'd be a pro....
Old 07-09-2020, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevecuss View Post
I had an opportunity to buy a really nice older AC series for a song last week, but I was still early in my research. They sure look like a lot of guitar for the money. But yeah, I want to try one of the Es. I found another Eastman dealer locally who has a 6 and an 8, neither are TC of course, but I'll go play them and add to my research. Fun journey so far.
Steve...the AC models I owned were both Engelmann tops and the 520 (mahogany) and 820 (EIR) were both "CE" models with cutaways and Fishman UST's. They were very much inline with a Taylor 510 or 810 for a lot less money. The 520 was my favorite of the two and nothing has changed as I still prefer Eastman's mahogany offerings more.
I hope you will find an E6OM-TC as I'd really like to hear your take on the Thermo-Cured Sitka top pairing. Probably a bit more mellow than the TC Adi top I'm guessing?

Old 07-09-2020, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Steve...the AC models I owned were both Engelmann tops and the 520 (mahogany) and 820 (EIR) were both "CE" models with cutaways and Fishman UST's. They were very much inline with a Taylor 510 or 810 for a lot less money. The 520 was my favorite of the two and nothing has changed as I still prefer Eastman's mahogany offerings more.
I hope you will find an E6OM-TC as I'd really like to hear your take on the Thermo-Cured Sitka top pairing. Probably a bit more mellow than the TC Adi top I'm guessing?
Yeah, the idea of getting a thermo Adirondack at the price Eastman is charging is definitely appealing. I'm pretty sure that is where I'll end up. I've heard the AC series is more Taylor-ish and that the newer the Eastman, the more likely the consistency between guitars.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-09-2020, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Just a follow up. I was able to play an E10OM and an E8OM today. Not TC of course, but I absolutely loved the 10, so I'm sure a TC 10 will be the bees.

I'll hunt a rare pre owned one, new they are already very reasonable, so I may just pull the trigger on new if a pre owned isn't low enough to be worth the saving.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll finish the thread with pics and an impression once the guitar is in hand. I'm guessing I'll have something in the next 1-3 weeks.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-09-2020, 05:24 PM
Charter Member

Steve, give Ted a call at LA Guitar Sales. He has a new E10OM-TC in stock, and he might be able to get you a good price on a new one vs. buying used, shipping, etc. He's extremely knowledgeable about Eastman, and I've purchased from him several times, as have many other AGF members. Highly recommended.
Old 07-09-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Steve, give Ted a call at LA Guitar Sales. He has a new E10OM-TC in stock, and he might be able to get you a good price on a new one vs. buying used, shipping, etc. He's extremely knowledgeable about Eastman, and I've purchased from him several times, as have many other AGF members. Highly recommended.
Yes, much thanks! I've reach out to Ted and also to Brian at Sun Valley.

Cheers. It will be my first ever brand new guitar. Giddy.
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

It's gonna be fun to follow this NGD!

Old 07-20-2020, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

My quest has become a NGD!

The E10OM-TC arrived Thursday from Ted at LA Guitar Sales. Ted and Helene were fantastic and lived up to their stellar reputation. I was out of town until Saturday, so had to live with waiting until then to unbox and play the guitar.

I am a two acoustic guy - I have a Mcilroy and absolutely love everything about it: a deep body, wild, overtoney Cedar/Walnut beast. For those unfamiliar, Mcilroy is very much in the Lowden family of tones and looks.

I chose this model of Eastman to explore the acoustic opposite: Adirondack, mahogany, thinner body OM. Something with more fundamental, what I would call an 'American' tone.

Also, having owned number of guitars over the years, the Eastman is my first ever brand new guitar. Super fun. I shopped pre owned for this model, but they are very hard to find at the moment and some pre owned ones are asking more than you can buy one for new.

It is a gorgeous looking guitar - the Adirondack has that darkened look that I suspect comes with the torrification. The Hog is gorgeous - Eastman must apply some sort of stain to really bring out the Mahogany - it looks very figured.

Set up is excellent, playability is excellent. I may bring the action down a tad, but that is preference, it is set up well right out of the case. Speaking of the case - it is quite gorgeous with stitching, the Eastman imprint, lovely interior. The whole package is first class and feels very high end.

Tonally it is really alive right out of the case, which I'd expect for a torrified guitar. I usually prefer sitka over Adirondack, it is just a bit softer and sweeter, but I was compelled to replicate a vintage Martin vibe - old school 00018 back in the Adirondack days.

The trebles and midrange on this guitar are glorious. I am a sucker for good acoustic midrange - that tone that comes from D and G string fingerstyle playing. This has all that goodness - the thick tone, the woody response. Really, really nice. The guitar is very loud. We have a Martin JC40 in the house right now - Martin's Jumbo, or their Dred depth 0000. It is a canon. The Eastman OM is as loud as the Martin, although of course, tonally they are different.

The Martin has more bell in the bass and sounds smoother overall- sitka/EIR. The Eastman beats it for midrange, lacks the Martin full bass, but has a brashness that is really fun.

The Eastman's bass response is interesting - almost the dull thud of a Gibson. I was expecting more of the Martin bass bell on it. I'd played a non thermo version of this guitar the week prior ordering this one and its bass was quite lively. This guitar's bass is more muted. For strumming it is very well balanced. For fingerstyle work, I'd want more bell in the bass. For old style blues, it is the bees.

I feel for the price, it is an insanely good deal. A LOT of guitar for the money. It makes me very curious about their E1 and E2 series for students and for my teenage son who is still convinced he'll take one of my guitars to college with him

I'm sold on Eastman. Insanely good value for what you get. I'd love to see Eastman make a 12 fret 000 guitar someday, with their partnership with Bourgeois, I'm very excited to see what will come of it. Dana's OMSC is a dream guitar for me - if Eastman were to ever build one at this current price range, I'd be all in.

Thanks so much for all the guidance and encouragement, this has been a very fun buying journey. Thanks to Ted and Helene at LA Guitar Sales. First class folks.

Obligatory pics:

IMG_3674 by steveandlisa123, on Flickr

IMG_3673 by steveandlisa123, on Flickr

IMG_3675 by steveandlisa123, on Flickr
Line 6 Helix.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:45 AM

I just bought an E8 OM (sitka/rosewood). Couldn't be happier with it.
Old 07-20-2020, 10:07 AM

Congrats stevecuss, lovely thing, enjoy!

Eastman +1 for good value!
Old 07-20-2020, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, Steve! That's a beautiful guitar, and the TC models are something special. I'm glad that Ted and Helene were able to take such good care of you. I've been looking to add a Mahogany/Sitka OM, but haven't decided between E6 vs. E10 (and standard vs. TC).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion