The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 01-25-2004, 01:55 PM

Default National Steel Guitars

What do you guys think about the current National Steel Guitars? They seem to be very popular among bluesmen. I have the notion that they are preferred for slide playing, but I don't know why, exactly. Any reason why a steel guitar is better for slide blues, other than volume? And is volume even an issue vs. today's all-wood guitars like Taylors?
Old 01-26-2004, 01:38 PM

Hey Mike
I have a new (2001) National and a 1935 National. They both have that great resonator sound, loud and twangy. The volume of National is important, but I think the sound is much more important. I don't use them for slide per say, I use them for fingerpickin' Jug Band/Ragtime/Blues tunes. The sound is an old sound that goes back to the 1920's, so I guess it is the sound one looks for in Jug Band/Ragtime/Blues genres........
Russ
Old 01-26-2004, 10:01 PM

I think the Nationals are great. I have been playing as many as I can find as I plan to buy one within the next year. I love the steel ones as opposed to the brass ones the best. I am now trying to find someplace where I can AB the Vintage Steel Tricone and the Delphi one after the other. I have played the Delphi and then a style O. I also have tried the Delphi right after playing brass tricone.

I really like the whine that comes from the Delphi but I want to see how it sounds next to the Vintage Steel tricone.

I mainly play blues and I love the guitars I have now but I can't get the whine and "naughty" sound with my Taylors. For me the only way to get that sound is to play a resonator.
Midnight Shadow
Old 08-05-2021, 02:58 PM

Default 2000 National Delphi

Just got a used Delphi on Reverb !
I’m in Ct, anyone know someone who knows how to work on these
Nationals ??
Needs a set up and a little tweaking, but man it sounds fantastic!
She is a beast, getting used to the weight, it’s also that groovy blue
Powder coat.
I had a Republic Tri-Cone that was pretty sweet for the money, but this is the
Real Deal

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments