The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-24-2021, 03:46 AM

My dad played ukulele and we used to grab it and mess around when we were quite young. That might've influenced them giving me a cheap nylon string guitar for my 9th birthday. I took a few group lessons that were provided at our school, but the guitar itself was pretty crap sounding and uncomfortable to play so not particularly inspiring me to stick with it. Fast forward 2 years later when I was 11 years old and getting into punk music - I sold my bicycle and bought a second hand Epiphone Coronet at the pawn shop. It was well set up and a dream to play and I couldn't put the thing down. I never watched telly from age 11 on, barring football (soccer) matches, as I was always playing.

The things that fostered that obsession were 1) I was really into music - at the record shop every Saturday, always listening to the radio (John Peel's show), and 2) The wee Epiphone was so easy to play - while friends were struggling with acoustic or electric guitars that had super high action, never stayed in tune etc., my wee guitar was really enjoyable to play, with friends picking it up immediately commenting on how much easier it was compared to their own guitars.

Friends of mine bought their son a cheap acoustic and electric guitar "learner" package one Christmas and he never played them. It didn't surprise me because he hadn't ever shown any interest in music in any capacity, playing or listening for that matter (and neither of his parents played so there were no instruments in the house).
Old 09-24-2021, 03:47 AM

I think you have to play it by ear. Some kids get into instruments very early. I've been trying for a year to teach my 8-year-old and she just flat out refuses to do it most of the time - she doesn't like anything she's not immediately good and no amount of reassurance, bribes or threats seems to help.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:11 AM

I am working to build a cadre of Disney tunes and have some Christmas songs they recognize for the holidays. When they are over I try to play for them; they like to dance and sometimes sing. And my entry level Taylor gets plucked pretty good by the grandkids. Pressure is on to be a better guitarist so they hear the possibilities.
Old 09-24-2021, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
Early exposure can't hurt, if not pushed. Pushing is not good. But exposure is. Just my opinion
We were pushed. Our mother forced us to take piano lessons starting age 6 or so. Neither of my parents played they just made us so it wasn't like they were participating. I couldn't quit piano unless I chose another instrument to play. So around age 11 I started drums. Played drums for a few years in band in school. Picked up the guitar around 12 and played for a few years, overlapping drums during the same period. I've now played on and off my entire life since. Regrettably, I haven't played the 40 years since non-stop.

Stepson-in-law is a fantastic drummer. He started playing guitar partly because I do. We've developed quite the bond over music. And now his son, my step-grandson inlaw LOL is 2 and loves to play drums.

My daughter, now 18, had various music lessons when younger but nothing stuck. I didn't want to force her like my parents did.

I think just exposing and encouraging the yougins is the best way to go. Some will enjoy it enough to participate, some won't.
Old 09-24-2021, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everton FC View Post
All four of my kids got into music early - three of the four played viola/violin and reached exceptional levels (my 18 year old son received three scholarship offers for viola, and to good schools) We exposed them to see what would happen. My eldest went Gregorian chant, instead of strings!

Since I have guitars, three of the four play - two more seriously. My son is actually very good. They just gravitated to the guitars.

Early exposure can't hurt, if not pushed. Pushing is not good. But exposure is. Just my opinion
My opinion too. I picked up the guitar in grade 6/7 on my own and learned a few chords. Then I dropped it and didn't pick it up again until grade 11 and I would play an hour a day and never stopped. My favorite band and guitar heroes were the spur for me.
Old 09-24-2021, 07:22 AM

I was just thinking about this yesterday. I think if the child can understand the need and concept of tuning the guitar, they're ready if they show an interest. If they can't understand the tuning factor they're not ready.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

I can remember sitting on Dad's lap while he played.

When I got big enough to reach over the guitar wit a pick. I would strum as he would chord.

FF to 1968. Got a drum set for Christmas. Banged on those things for a couple years.

But couldn't really play a song by myself on drums.

Dad showed me the books with chord diagrams, around '72. And I was off.

When I entered Highschool I was obsessed with guitar. And sooo much guitar based music coming out in the early to mid 70's.

By '78 joined a working band. Cut my teeth playing every week end. While still a Senior in Highschool and working at a body shop part time.

That band became my life for the next 40+ years. Went through what seems like multiple lifetimes.

Now, after all the different inversions of the band. Deaths and disenchantments. And moving across country.

Now doing solo acoustic shows. Once in awhile. No desire to do it full time at my age.

But when I do play, I want the whole experience to feel and project a level of professionality.

Something that the band of old would always try to project.

So today, over 50 years after I first discovered the chord shapes at the top of the page. I still can't get enough.
Old 09-24-2021, 08:21 AM

There are several organizations that focus on getting young kids interested in music. They typically start kids as young as 4 or 5 out on a ukulele. These programs have started 10's of thousands of kids over the years.

A couple of the established organizations include -

https://ukuleleintheclassroom.com/

https://www.guitarsintheclassroom.org/

Younger kids love to listen to and sing songs. Music is very beneficial to develop a number of skills in young kids. As long as you don't make the music experience a chore (i.e. Go practice your scales for a half hour), kids pretty much universally enjoy music.

Last edited by pszy22; 09-24-2021 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-24-2021, 12:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edcmat-l1 View Post
We were pushed. Our mother forced us to take piano lessons starting age 6 or so. Neither of my parents played they just made us so it wasn't like they were participating. I couldn't quit piano unless I chose another instrument to play. So around age 11 I started drums. Played drums for a few years in band in school. Picked up the guitar around 12 and played for a few years, overlapping drums during the same period. I've now played on and off my entire life since. Regrettably, I haven't played the 40 years since non-stop.
My mom made both my brother and sister take piano lessons quite young. Somehow I escaped the piano. My sister didn't take to it and after three or four years and lots of tears she was allowed to quit. My brother continued to become quite an accomplished pianist and won all sorts of awards and state competitions. As soon as he graduated from high school he quit playing. No idea why. Then in his sixties he started playing piano again. He is really good even after decades of not touching it.

My grand daughter showed some interest in one of my ukuleles around two. I'm not sure if it was interest in playing it or if she just liked making noise. I bought her a Kala Dolphin and tried to teach her something but her attention span was two minutes or less. She is five now. She has the Dolphin in her room and I try to get her to play it every so often. So far she isn't at all interested. But she has it and I guess maybe she will wake up one day and want to learn to play it.

As much as I wanted my kids to be musicians, I've been a dismal failure steering them in that direction. They both took piano lessons and it was a struggle. My daughter got into the guitar long enough to get one for Christmas as a teenager. I don't think she realized that it would take some practice, time, and just a little bit of dedication to learn to play it. By The end of January she was tired of it. She came up and got it out of our storage shed a few years ago and was going to play it but as far as I know she hasn't. One good thing though, she married a drummer. I guess I'll take what I can get. I have an eighteen months old grandson. If I can get him to be a bass player I have a band

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 09-24-2021, 02:00 PM

I’m with J-Doug on this one.

Last edited by upsidedown; 09-25-2021 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:08 PM

Very much depends on the kids, my kids are two years appart in age and they both started playing at the same time ... I would never have started the eldest two years earlyer though.

I started them when my eldest daughter started to form her own taste in music at about 9 years of age, and the younger of course would not be excluded. The guitar was neither of their first choice, but I told them that they had to prove they had the work ethic and interest to learn before I was purchasing a drum kit and a piano for them. Now they both like the guitar.

Personally I think that waiting untill the child has developed their own musical listening tastes is vital, since the real reward that keeps you practicing is learning a song or artist you like, though I do think if I'd waited a couple more years for that desire to get stronger it might have been benificial.

That said, I think the teaching methods need to be taylored to the kids, I basically taught them a couple super easy powerchord songs to get them making something that sounded like music as quick as possible. Then I let them chose the songs, find songs they like that I can make very easy to play, but at the same time teach them some new skill without actually making it feel like work. Instant gratification, or as near to that as you can get, is key in my oppinion. Both my daughters are good enough to jam a half dozen or so tunes with me, tunes that they actually like, very cool to watch a 9 year old just sort of slip in to the groove and start feeling it whilst pounding out a few power chords... meanwhile many of their friends gave up after a year of lessons, knowing only a C chord and that music is a long, difficult, and boring passtime.

Last edited by Bushleague; 09-24-2021 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 02:38 PM

Default Depends on the kid

So, my two older kids don't have any interest in the guitar or any other musical instrument. I bought my son a nice Warwick bass and my daughter a nice Les Paul Vixen when I went to Afghanistan back in 2008. They were 9 and 11 at the time. My son took some lessons with his bass but he was largely disinterested in it. I thought he might like it since he played baritone in the public school band. My daughter has never played hers. A couple of her boyfriends have over the years and she said it sounds great. She also said she will never part with it.
My youngest daughter is now 11. She asked to take piano lessons and has been playing for two years now. She has become quite good. She also enjoys having me teacher her guitar out of the kids Hal Leonard book. I got her a Squier Mini Strat and she likes that quite a bit. I teach her guitar and she teaches me keyboard. I have a couple of mandolins and we do the same with my mandolin books. While she enjoys the mandolin, she did not enjoy playing my Little Martin. I have since sold it to a friend so he can playing when camping.
I guess the answer to your question is that you should wait until they ask to do something or show an interest in it by playing one of your instruments while you aren't looking. If the kid doesn't have an interest they won't play, no matter how nice the instrument is.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBW View Post
So, my two older kids don't have any interest in the guitar or any other musical instrument. I bought my son a nice Warwick bass and my daughter a nice Les Paul Vixen when I went to Afghanistan back in 2008. They were 9 and 11 at the time. My son took some lessons with his bass but he was largely disinterested in it. I thought he might like it since he played baritone in the public school band. My daughter has never played hers. A couple of her boyfriends have over the years and she said it sounds great. She also said she will never part with it.
My youngest daughter is now 11. She asked to take piano lessons and has been playing for two years now. She has become quite good. She also enjoys having me teacher her guitar out of the kids Hal Leonard book. I got her a Squier Mini Strat and she likes that quite a bit. I teach her guitar and she teaches me keyboard. I have a couple of mandolins and we do the same with my mandolin books. While she enjoys the mandolin, she did not enjoy playing my Little Martin. I have since sold it to a friend so he can playing when camping.
I guess the answer to your question is that you should wait until they ask to do something or show an interest in it by playing one of your instruments while you aren't looking. If the kid doesn't have an interest they won't play, no matter how nice the instrument is.
I fully think that a kid's inclination to play a guitar is directly related to how passionate they are about guitar music. Therefore, its beneficial to just expose them to lots of guitar music early on, not just the stuff you like but all kinds of stuff that they might like.

With both of my kids, their playing really took off when out of the blue they decided that they both really liked Blink 182. While I personally am not a big fan, I'm now glad that my wife had that copy of "Take of your Pants and Jacket" sitting in an old CD binder all these years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion