The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-23-2021, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

Default Masterlist expansion

I was thinking about what might make the stickied Masterlist more useful and it occurred to me that one of the more redundant things we do is repost some of the same helpful videos over and over. And I thought it might be useful to people if some of the best videos were available in one spot.

Giving it some thought for a few days, I came up with this list of categories. I think these are the most common topics for which we recommend people watch videos:
  • Recording acoustic guitar
  • How to use EQ
  • How to use compression
  • Noise Reduction
  • Room treatment
  • Monitor placement

I’m not going to cover individual DAWs because I want to continue to limit the list to the first two posts in the thread if I can, and those posts have character limits. There are just too many DAWs to cover and the topics within each DAW are fairly endless, so people will have to seek those on their own. I believe the topics I chose are universal no matter which DAW someone chooses but let me know if you think I left something important off that list.

Here’s my ask…
Recommend the best video you know for each topic. Please limit it to just one per topic because I’m going to employ some editorial control which means I’ll have to watch every video to check for overlap so as not to make the videos in each list redundant.
(If you know two good videos for a category, make a decision on which you think is best. If you send me two or more in a category, I'm only going to watch the first one because my time isn't limitless, so don't try shifting the tough decisions onto me. )

I think this will give the folks who are inexperienced some quality jumping in points. I intend to limit each topic to enough videos to cover the subject but not so much as to become overwhelming. I’m not sure what that number is yet and I think the quality of the videos is the best way to determine that.

I look forward to your thoughts and recommendations.

Edit: I'm going to leave a two week window for people to post and then I'll start the task of sorting, watching, evaluating, etc.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 09-24-2021 at 02:41 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

Terrific Idea Jim1960!...
Written explanations are great...but there is nothing like a good video, pictures to show exactly what is going on.
And unfortunately, there have been so many good videos presented before on the recording side. But ultimately, I was not ready to purchase at that time...and I have lost the tabs of where those videos are.
I would love to have these video references, as soon I will be in the market to purchase.
Videos that I remember were of Value.
*Some of Doug Young's recording videos
*How Stephen Wake processes his guitar after recording.
Videos I would like to see:
* Best Reverb Plugins
* Best vocal plugins (non compression)
* The value of all the different kinds of Compressors. Such as Optical versus Tube, and so on. While I do understand the basics...Hearing the differences in action...is the real tell all.
* Parallel processing. Not just compressors but in other areas as well.
* Logix ProX....Basics
(the problem with many videos is that go into areas that none of us need to learn at the beginning. I often get confused.)
Would like to see videos that clearly and simply explain things like:
How to punch in and out for both guitar and voice
Setting the metronome speed for a song.
There are a ton more I could mention...but currently I am rushing to get ready as my brother and nephew are flying in for two weeks and we will go on a little road trip. Fun.
Jim1960...You have offered so much great advice( I finally got back my Demeter a week ago...with new caps and Tubes...and I have No time to even plug it in and test it..ha ha..I will have to wait until I get back from my trip over two weeks from now.)
But I would also like to make another bold suggestion.
How about in the future...a month or so for now...we Do a Group Zoom Tuturial Meeting. That would be an amazing way to learn.
There is nothing like Direct one on one lessons. Videos are great...and please lets do this video section for recording...But also let us consider a Zoom recording gathering tutorial as well?
Old 09-23-2021, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
How about in the future...a month or so for now...we Do a Group Zoom Tuturial Meeting. That would be an amazing way to learn.
There is nothing like Direct one on one lessons. Videos are great...and please lets do this video section for recording...But also let us consider a Zoom recording gathering tutorial as well?
I think this is a good idea, tho challenging. When I was doing monthly zoom workshops at the beginning of lockdowns last year, this was an idea I kept returning to, but never did. Part of the challenge is the sound quality of the online world. That's gotten a little better, but it'd still be a challenge for people to really hear fine details. The other is screen size/resolution. When I'm mixing/editing, I end up with lots of stuff up on the screen, and I have a big double-wide screen. Getting all that stuff up and readable for people online can be hard over Zoom. It's tough enough on you tube videos where you have a chance to edit, zoom in on an area, etc.

That said, I've done a couple of sessions with individuals that worked out, including one where someone else was showing me their approach, and I was happy with what I saw/heard, tho it was not as good as if I was there in person. I'd certainly be up for doing one of these if people would be interested. The main benefit over pre-recorded videos would be that people could ask questions, which can be both good and bad - and in my experience, people are often a little too shy to actually do that. But worth a try.

For Jim, also great idea. I would say it's a big undertaking, tho :-) Get 10 people to show you how they record, and you'll have 20 different approaches, not to mention totally different musical styles, and totally different software. So I'm not sure you can limit a topic to one definitive video, unless it's just extremely basic.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I think this is a good idea, tho challenging. When I was doing monthly zoom workshops at the beginning of lockdowns last year, this was an idea I kept returning to, but never did. Part of the challenge is the sound quality of the online world. That's gotten a little better, but it'd still be a challenge for people to really hear fine details. The other is screen size/resolution. When I'm mixing/editing, I end up with lots of stuff up on the screen, and I have a big double-wide screen. Getting all that stuff up and readable for people online can be hard over Zoom. It's tough enough on you tube videos where you have a chance to edit, zoom in on an area, etc.

That said, I've done a couple of sessions with individuals that worked out, including one where someone else was showing me their approach, and I was happy with what I saw/heard, tho it was not as good as if I was there in person. I'd certainly be up for doing one of these if people would be interested. The main benefit over pre-recorded videos would be that people could ask questions, which can be both good and bad - and in my experience, people are often a little too shy to actually do that. But worth a try.

For Jim, also great idea. I would say it's a big undertaking, tho :-) Get 10 people to show you how they record, and you'll have 20 different approaches, not to mention totally different musical styles, and totally different software. So I'm not sure you can limit a topic to one definitive video, unless it's just extremely basic.
Doug I am so happy to hear that you are up for this. I am thinking that one session you can host. And then maybe the next Jim1960 could host. And so on.
We could plan for it far in advance with a list of things that we need to clarify. That would give the host time to make still shots of different functions..instead of trying to maneuver everything in real time.
No matter how many times I read, or get told something...it just doesn't match the one on one learning experience. But even more so, in the few Group Zoom meeting I have attended(Traditional archery & Fishing from my friends).. I found a lot of great territory was covered.
Teaching is an art in itself. My belief, is that most things are not that difficult....it just takes Years & Years to learn just how simple it really is.
I hope that would be one of the main functions of the zoom meetings...to learn just how easy things really are....If you know the way.
With that in mind..I will say...that computers are unlike anything else in the world. They defy logic, because they are not necessarily put together in a logical form. Functions are just attached in various areas without rhyme nor reason. And if you are a person who is use to figuring things out by logic and have little computer experience, then it can be very frustrating. They assume you understand Computer logic. Analog...everything is right in front of you. But with computer...it is knowing how to get to all the subscreens and buttons that can be key to success.
One example is I like to go back and forth between headphones and Mac internal speakers quickly. Oddly, none of my friends really knew how to do this. As it turns out...it is totally simple...but took a lot of hours and frustrating adventures to finally figure it out. Actually, I do not even remember now...that is why I write everything out now..and log it. In truth, I have had little time to work on recording. Without my notes, I would be lost completely.
Well, this will be fun. I teach a lot of things...and there is one thing I know for sure...I learn when I teach. I will have nothing to offer in this case...other than my most devoted ears.
Old 09-24-2021, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Videos that I remember were of Value.
*Some of Doug Young's recording videos
*How Stephen Wake processes his guitar after recording.
Videos I would like to see:
* Best Reverb Plugins
* Best vocal plugins (non compression)
* The value of all the different kinds of Compressors. Such as Optical versus Tube, and so on. While I do understand the basics...Hearing the differences in action...is the real tell all.
* Parallel processing. Not just compressors but in other areas as well.
This list gives me some ideas for additional categories but I think I'll get the ones I listed done first and then expand from there.

Quote:
I have no experience at all doing video, probably because I'm not a cell phone guy and I think that's the gateway for most people. I'll make and receive calls on my cell phone when I'm out, and I'll read the news on it in a waiting room, but other than that, I never touch it. To give you some perspective, a full charge lasts more than a week for me. But getting Doug to do that is a great idea. He knows more than I do anyway. I've owned/tried/listened to a lot of gear in 20 years of doing this and I try to keep an eye out for small builders who are delivering great quality for a great price, so I can speak intelligently in that area but outside of that, I think others here bring more to the table than I do.

Quote:
It's certainly going to chew up some hours of my free time but I think it would be incredibly helpful and it feels like a natural extension of the purpose the Masterlist serves. I accept that there will be holes in the final product but I don't think perfection need get in the way of usefulness. For example, a video showing the various mic techniques for recording acoustic guitar doesn't necessarily have to get into what might work best for any particular style or genre. For the newcomer, it's probably enough to introduce them to the various options (ORTF, XY, spaced pair, etc.) and let them explore those.

YouTube
Old 09-24-2021, 01:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
It's certainly going to chew up some hours of my free time but I think it would be incredibly helpful and it feels like a natural extension of the purpose the Masterlist serves.
Glad you're up for it, certainly could be useful. I'll submit 3 of mine for your consideration:

And this one has a fairly lengthy (and fortunately, freely available) written article to go with that discusses more stuff, gear, room acoustics, etc:

Last edited by Doug Young; 09-24-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:42 PM

I have nothing to add but want to say that as a newbie, this is such a fantastic idea. The hardest part of learning is knowing what information to trust so having introductory videos validated by a knowledgable group is invaluable. Thank you in advance!
Old 09-30-2021, 08:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Jim - Doug Young's Video's Are the ONLY sources we need

Aloha Jim,

For me, I don't think that most guitar players at AGF 'RECORD' (mostly beginner recordists) need look any farther than Doug Young's video's for a solid foundation in all aspects of recording the acoustic guitar. The three video's he just offered to be included are all classics! Thanks Doug!

I've long thought that his 'Basic Acoustic Recording' video was THE source for beginning player/recordists to follow. It's all there, so well done & simplified with actions, not words (yes, it is alohachris writing that here, HA!). That should have been 'stickied' long ago here, IMO!

I've also thought that AGF should have split the 'RECORD' site into two: one for beginners/intermediate playing, skills & ears AND a second one for professional musicians & recordists - who can actually understand what the heck Bob Womack is talking about or who may even remember the analog days. Ha!

The reason for that thinking was that there is such a huge experience, ears, skill & communication gap between the two groups, plus vast differences in levels of commitment to home recording in terms of time & money.

For example, in 2012, Doug shared with us a classic video describing in detail the whole process of making a demo of just one of his pro-level recordings. That really took my skills & thinking about recording to another level. I copied that process & gear, & was able to make my recordings really shine (before my hands went south). Thank You, Doug!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5kCVXyQDys

But in many ways,that information is way over the heads of most beginners & intermediate acoustic player/recordists looking to get a few songs down for friends & family that don't actually suck - on the cheap, unfortunately. They seemed intimidated by that video. How do I know? I used to share it with a few of them to let them see where they could be heading with home DAW recording. They were all mostly daunted.

I think that video should be "stickied" at AGF as well. It's a classic blueprint for advanced, pro-level acoustic recording. But it should be on a separate 'Pro Record' site, not for beginners. Such a site would entice more professionals to participate in my opinion, bring in fresh blood & ideas, & add some more sdelsolray sightings as well. He really has something to say, that great guy! He lays in waiting, just dying to help someone who can actually understand & use his assistance. Guys like that need a 'PRO RECORD' site at AGF, IMO.

Fran Guidry's "Room Treatment" videos should also be 'stickied.' Ever notice how hard we have to sell Room Treatment as the biggest factor in creating consistent results & maximizing gear to beginners? I got tired of that fight, frankly. They just don't get it, thinking that Treatment involves some huge expense & a permanent remodel. So they always save it for last - & then wonder why they can't get the acoustic guitar sound that's in their heads. Fran's video's could really help "sell" DIY Room Treatment.

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-on-the-cheap/

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/...adband-panels/

So Jim, thanks for being such a great brother here, always trying to find ways to lighten the load, provide answers, & make recording acoustic guitar more accessible, successful & fun to more players. I really appreciate your work.

And Doug Young? You 'Da Man' for acoustic home recording information! Bar None! A great solo player who really cares enough to share! You always subtly & humbly provide yet another simplified way of accessing, playing, recording & enjoying the acoustic guitar that we all love. Mahalo a nui, brother for over two decades of tireless incredible sharing here at AGF & at other sites. Love your incredible & consistent acoustic tone & expressions.

You guys are what AGF is all about. Hey AGFer's, Follow these guys examples! It's all right in front of you!

Mahalo a nui, Jim & Doug & all the other great regulars here! You've taught me so much!

A Hui Hou!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 09-30-2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

I think some sort of Zoom meetup would be good fun. If only to put a face to folks I only interact with on a forum.

Some sort of live workshop or tutorial could be cool. Maybe one person with a decent amount of experience could show their approach to recording or mixing or something. I'm pretty familiar with Doug's approach, because I try and copy it. Would be cool to see how other people do things.
Old 10-01-2021, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
For me, I don't think that most guitar players at AGF 'RECORD' (mostly beginner recordists) need look any farther than Doug Young's video's for a solid foundation in all aspects of recording the acoustic guitar. The three video's he just offered to be included are all classics! Thanks Doug!

I've long thought that his 'Basic Acoustic Recording' video was THE source for beginning player/recordists to follow. It's all there, so well done & simplified with actions, not words (yes, it is alohachris writing that here, HA!). That should have been 'stickied' long ago here, IMO!
For the most part, I don't disagree but Doug being a superior player is starting out with better tracks than most beginners so his task is much easier than theirs in getting a track to sound great. What many beginners need are videos on how to get a good sound with cheap mics in a crappy room.

Quote:
I think that video should be "stickied" at AGF as well.

Fran Guidry's "Room Treatment" videos should also be 'stickied.'
We barely were able to get the Gear Masterlist stickied (I'll pm you on that topic). I think including them in the one sticky we have is the best we can do which is why I thought expanding the list to include videos would make sense.

Quote:
Ever notice how hard we have to sell Room Treatment as the biggest factor in creating consistent results & maximizing gear to beginners?
To the beginner... Mics are sexy. Converters are sexy. Monitors are sexy. Preamps are sexy. Compressors are sexy. Equalizers are sexy.

Room treatment is not sexy. There are no knobs to twist and no shiny lights to dazzle. It just sits there.

Newbies don't understand what bad room sound is and how it hurts their tracks. Because they can't recognize/hear what's bad, they don't see the need to address it.

I was guilty of that for years. But even after I knew I had to move on room treatment, I cheaped out and bought a bunch of mostly useless foam as my first attempt. Eventually I invested in bass traps and a ceiling cloud from GIK and made my too small room somewhat passable. At some point I'll be moving and a much larger studio space is a must-have on my wants list for the next house.

Quote:
So Jim, thanks for being such a great brother here, always trying to find ways to lighten the load, provide answers, & make recording acoustic guitar more accessible, successful & fun to more players. I really appreciate your work.
Thanks, Chris.

YouTube
Old 10-01-2021, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What many beginners need are videos on how to get a good sound with cheap mics in a crappy room.
Just in case you didn't catch it, Jim, that overview video was shot with AT2020s (some would say "too" cheap), a Zoom recorder, and in an untreated 10x11 bedroom. I was shooting for pretty a typical beginner scenario, not a pro studio setup.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just in case you didn't catch it, Jim, that overview video was shot with AT2020s (some would say "too" cheap), a Zoom recorder, and in an untreated 10x11 bedroom. I was shooting for pretty a typical beginner scenario, not a pro studio setup.
Nice. I haven't reviewed the videos yet. I want to do that all at once, or at least all at once for each category.

YouTube
Old 10-05-2021, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Two more days to submit video recommendations that you'd like me to consider adding to the stickied post.

Categories are:
  • Room treatment
  • Monitor placement
  • How to use EQ
  • How to use compression
  • Noise Reduction

YouTube
Old 10-05-2021, 10:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Two more days to submit video recommendations that you'd like me to consider adding to the stickied post.

Categories are:
  • Room treatment
  • Monitor placement
  • How to use EQ
  • How to use compression
  • Noise Reduction
Here's another demo I did for AG on RX for noise reduction. This could obviously go much deeper, I demo'd 2 or 3 features out of 100 of RX for noise cleanup, but it's a start. iZotope has lots of official instructional/demo videos, of course.

Room treatment's one of those topics that you could spend your life researching, and there's so much out there. There are probably better sites, but I found Ethan Winer's site and videos to be a reasonable place to start.
Old 10-05-2021, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Room treatment's one of those topics that you could spend your life researching, and there's so much out there. There are probably better sites, but I found Ethan Winer's site and videos to be a reasonable place to start.
Oh, be sure to check out Fran Guidry's Homebrewed Music site as well, for all kinds of recording demos and tips, including room treatment. Here's his blog section on room treatment:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/tag/acoustic-treatment/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD