The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-16-2021, 11:55 AM

Default Loudbox mini—fix or replace?

My Loudbox mini died last week with a squeal that got my wife running into the room to see if I had died. The noise was quite loud and stayed on regardless of the volume or any other setting.

The amp is 6 years old, and probably was dying for sometime. The warning signs were funny pings like someone had knocked an old spring reverb. Usually after a few such burps the amp settled down.

Fishman will repair the amp for a flat $50. But shipping both ways will cost about $100. So should I spend $150 to repair this old (and tattered) amp or buy a new one $370?

I’m in Southern California, what are the odds that an amp repair place could fix the amp for less?

Thanks
Old 09-16-2021, 12:29 PM

There is a good chance that Fishman will replace the amp, and that $150 would be the best deal.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

For $150 I'd take the chance and send it in. Worst case scenario is you sell the fixed amp for $225 and then buy you a shiny new one.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-16-2021, 02:04 PM

I’d probably spend hours researching, buying parts, failing to get it working, buying a new one in the meantime, finally giving up and sending it to Fishman for a slightly higher fee than previously quoted due to my efforts.

Not all terrible though. End of the day, two functional amps and enough controversy that any talk with the wife of how we now own two amps can be generally accepted as “the only possible outcome under the circumstances”, leading directly to a gargled smattering of unintelligible “resistor this” “bad caps” until she just stops bringing it up.

Then, I’d decide I need more power.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

My Fishman service experience with a Loudbox Mini wasn't the stellar example most rave about. It took 3 times longer than I was quoted, and when I called to check on it, I was told "how busy"* they were; this was way before any Covid related slowdowns that we're all familiar with. I was told they'd let me know when it was done and ready to ship. Nope. The repaired head just showed up. The return shipping was twice as expensive as what I paid for second day air to get it to them (they returned it via Ground shipping).

In the meantime (while I was waiting for the return of the Mini), I bought a Bose S1 Pro that I like better.

Don't get me wrong - I have other Fishman stuff, and the Mini worked fine for about 5 years, so I have no issue with their products. Just something to consider as you ponder getting service done.

--------

* As a former business owner, the "We're so busy" excuse never sat well with me. Just do what you say you're going to do, and deliver when you say you would. I was told "In and out in a week or less"... it sat in their possession for 4 days before it was even "checked in." Then, nothing from them for the next 3 weeks.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:08 PM

Fishman replaced mine. Well worth it.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:44 PM
Charter Member

Considering any amp repair guy around here charges a flat $85 diagnostic fee applied to the repair if you choose to fix it, the factory will have all parts. See if they will issue you a shipping label. They ship stuff much less than you can.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-16-2021, 07:25 PM

Br1ck, thanks for the tip. I will see if they can get me a shipping label. My local UPS ground was about $60 and return shipping was quoted by Fishman as about $33. It is a great little amp and I’ve used it a lot.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

Do they give a warranty with that repair quote? With those lower shipping costs, I would give them a shot, if you like the amp. Nowadays, “repairs” end up being replacements, either new or factory refurbished. Good luck. (By the way, all my amps do that occasionally when Im playing through them…)
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-17-2021, 07:26 AM
Charter Member

Same as others have said. Fishman replaced the amp section of mine (7 years old) for the $50 bench fee. Get the instructions from them to remove the amp from the cabinet and this will reduce your shipping costs. They're quick, reasonable and quite generous with repairs. Short answer: yes repair it.
Old 09-17-2021, 09:35 AM

Let Fishman fix it. They will not be fast but they will get it done. _RP
Old 09-19-2021, 07:27 AM

The big thing i see
here is two amps were
returned within 6yrs
of mfg date with amps
that neede replacement.
i bought a 66 fender blackface bassman head in 1980
for 80 bucks. i sold it
a few yrs ago for 800.
id put maybe 50 worth
of repairs into it in the 30
yrs i owned it...Im starting
to sound like the grandfather
i am..
I would send it back..if just to keep it out of the landfill..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
amp repair, fishman, loudbox, loudbox mini