The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-11-2021, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
It is a peculiar sound hole enlargement, but I say play it a while and see how you like it before doing any custom alterations.
The X-brace is toast, I don't think the guitar will retain its shape for long.

I did buy the guitar for the case but it does not seem like a bad entry level guitar (other than the alteration). I will probably try doing a retop on it in the winter when the humidity is too low in the house to build guitars. I would rather practice on a throwaway guitar and learn the process and if a job comes up with a more valuable instrument I would feel more confident in trying it. In the end I would like to see it playable again.

I have bought inexpensive guitars when I find them and have fixed them up and given them a decent setup. When I was in high school they had a music class and had the class strumming along on acoustics. I thought there was no way I could learn, fingers hurt too much. Of course they all had high action and probably 13's on them. If the guitar was set up properly I might have learned to play way back then. So now I take guitars that I find that may need some attention and I get them into a shape I wish that first guitar I played was in. Then I pass them along to kids who want to learn and who's parents may find it hard to justify buying the kid the guitar. So hopefully one day this guitar may give some kid the incentive to learn to play.
Old 07-07-2022, 07:18 PM

See, there was a reason for keeping the Jasmine around. My brother used to bike back and forth to work. He has found a number of goodies at the side of the road that he brought home. This one I will have to repair for him. A classical guitar, the tuners were removed. The back may need some refinishing, looks like someone sat in it from the damage. Should be worth the trouble as it has a mahogany neck and solid rosewood back and sides. Built by a luthier from Ontario.

Old 07-07-2022, 07:41 PM

By the looks of the construction, might be a spanish heel as well.
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-07-2022, 08:35 PM

[QUOTE=printer2;7038664. Built by a luthier from Ontario [/QUOTE]

Linda Manzer?
Old 07-08-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
By the looks of the construction, might be a spanish heel as well.
Using your x-ray eyes again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathand View Post
Linda Manzer?
If only. Bruce West.
Old 07-08-2022, 12:30 PM

One of the very first things I did when I wanted to get into guitar repair and building was retop a busted up plywood guitar. That was 30 years ago. I gave it to a kid on the block who was probably 12-13 years old or so. I wonder if he still has it. It actually sounded pretty good too.
Old 07-10-2022, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
If the top replacement goes okay, you can then consider replacing the back and sides.
or just buy another one that hasn't been stomped to death

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair