The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-09-2021, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
At the risk of being the pollutant in the punchbowl, what I'm hearing is a lot simpler... a couple of opposing and uncluttered walls -- maybe 10-11 feet or so apart? It sounds to me like you need to deal with that, with either official "room treatment" or just plain old clutter. As in, get some big bookshelves and fill them up with stuff, to break up those standing waves that are allowing that low mid junk to linger and the harmonics of it to poke out.

The key word in the previous is "linger." With standing waves, those frequencies are still around after the other frequencies have evenly decayed. You can hear this happening pretty clearly in the recording.

With room issues like this, you'll never hear them if you're playing back on speakers in the same room. The logic behind this should be pretty obvious.
Great response , I’d like to show somebody my room and give me some tips on what to do to make it more acoustically suitable. I understand what your saying I just don’t know where to start
Old 09-09-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connoj24 View Post
I understand what your saying I just don’t know where to start
4" thick compressed fibreglass or rockwool (OC703, Roxul) panels - in corners, on side walls, in front of the mic, behind you. For home recording, as many as you can afford/build/buy and fit in the room. Are you setting up with a desk or table in front of you? That hard surface is reflecting soundwaves too - every hard surface does. You need to tame those reflections.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD