The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-21-2021, 08:28 AM

Default Journey vs Emerald Necks

I've had a Journey OF660O1M travel guitar for a few years and have really grown to appreciate the neck shape. I think I would call it a "D" neck, pretty thick but also flat. It seems to fit my big hands perfectly.

I've been considering and Emerald X20 for a full size CF. Has anyone played both and can comment on the differences in the neck profiles?
Old 08-21-2021, 08:35 AM

Never played a journey. My X-20 is as you described - a D shape, flat on the back with what I'd call a shallow to medium depth. Not fat by any means, but not super skinny like a lot of guitars have these days.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZebraKing View Post
I've had a Journey OF660O1M travel guitar for a few years and have really grown to appreciate the neck shape. I think I would call it a "D" neck, pretty thick but also flat. It seems to fit my big hands perfectly.

I've been considering and Emerald X20 for a full size CF. Has anyone played both and can comment on the differences in the neck profiles?
I haven't gotten my hands on the Emerald X20 neck. But I have an OF660 and I had a 2019 Emerald X7, and some other guitars. I used a carpenter's tool to measure the profile, etc., so this shows an OF660 and X7 comparison at the 1st, 9th and 12th fret. I don't know how similar the X7 and X20 necks are. For reasons that boggle my mind, especially given no retail store presence, these manufactures choose not to publish this information. I'd love to know why they think that's in their best interest, but I suspect it's because of production inconsistency....who knows. Since the designs are in autocad, making some cuts on the necks to illustrate the dimensions would be monkey simple. Go figure?

210116 Neck X10 2018 model.jpg

210116 Guitar Necks.jpg
Old 08-21-2021, 01:59 PM

I've been interested in the X7 since the redesign. It is interesting how close the new X7 and OF660 are on neck dimensions. The radius, nut and bridge string spacings are exactly the same so these guitars are very similar in feel with the exception of the larger X7 body and .5" shorter scale.

Thank you for taking the time to do this! If you don't mind me asking, why did you off load the X7 and keep the OF660? I've heard from others that owned both guitars that the X7 is a superior instrument?
Old 08-21-2021, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I've been interested in the X7 since the redesign. It is interesting how close the new X7 and OF660 are on neck dimensions. The radius, nut and bridge string spacings are exactly the same so these guitars are very similar in feel with the exception of the larger X7 body and .5" shorter scale.

Thank you for taking the time to do this! If you don't mind me asking, why did you off load the X7 and keep the OF660? I've heard from others that owned both guitars that the X7 is a superior instrument?
I can't remember if I had the OF660 when I had the X7. I grabbed a good deal off Reverb for like $700 on the OF660. The X7 is a far superior instrument, IMHO.

But the X7 purchase was unusual, in that I got it used off Facebook Marketplace and had to return it to the owner, because it was cracked pretty badly at the neck/body joint. My luthier figured it had been dropped. Anyhow, the owner graciously took it back when he saw the cracks. I don't think he knew they were there and had represented the instrument as mint.

Anyhow, my hands are really small. I'm 5'3" and found the X7 neck to be a little wide, such that thumb muting was uncomfortable and I kept inadvertently muting the high E with my palm ta boot. If I had kept it, I would have had another nut cut that would have probably fixed that. I loved the X7's tone and build quality. I have a 2018 X10 and that neck is my strong preference in terms of Emerald's product. If Emerald still did custom work, I'd buy an X7 12-fret woody with the X10 neck at 24 scale. I have a gimpy fretting hand index finder, so I like the shorter scale and reduced "reach" of the 12 fret. Maybe Alistair will get caught up and stabilized at the new production level, then get back into some custom work in the future.

No matter what, I'm amazed at the good tone from the OF660. My expectations weren't high for a Chinese $700 guitar, so I've been very pleased with it. Plus I love the carry on bag it comes with.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post
I can't remember if I had the OF660 when I had the X7. I grabbed a good deal off Reverb for like $700 on the OF660. The X7 is a far superior instrument, IMHO.

But the X7 purchase was unusual, in that I got it used off Facebook Marketplace and had to return it to the owner, because it was cracked pretty badly at the neck/body joint. My luthier figured it had been dropped. Anyhow, the owner graciously took it back when he saw the cracks. I don't think he knew they were there and had represented the instrument as mint.

Anyhow, my hands are really small. I'm 5'3" and found the X7 neck to be a little wide, such that thumb muting was uncomfortable and I kept inadvertently muting the high E with my palm ta boot. If I had kept it, I would have had another nut cut that would have probably fixed that. I loved the X7's tone and build quality. I have a 2018 X10 and that neck is my strong preference in terms of Emerald's product. If Emerald still did custom work, I'd buy an X7 12-fret woody with the X10 neck at 24 scale. I have a gimpy fretting hand index finder, so I like the shorter scale and reduced "reach" of the 12 fret. Maybe Alistair will get caught up and stabilized at the new production level, then get back into some custom work in the future.

No matter what, I'm amazed at the good tone from the OF660. My expectations weren't high for a Chinese $700 guitar, so I've been very pleased with it. Plus I love the carry on bag it comes with.
Thank you for your thoughts. You did get a great deal on your Journey!

While the X7 is marketed mostly as a travel guitar, I have that covered with the OF660 and I'm interested in the X7 for what I would consider to be more of a full-size guitar for my needs (14.25 lower bout over Journey's 12.00"). My only concern is how it would sit on my lap. I feel like the X7 design for all of it's wonderful bevels and contours are lost on many players. What I mean is look at all the videos out there- most are either crossing their right leg over their left to prop up the guitar, lifting their right leg with a foot stool or swinging the guitar way back toward their right hip where the asymmetrical wedge and rib bevels don't even meet their body.

I use a Sagework on my Journey to give me about a 40 neck angle and it enables me to sit upright for ideal posture. The X7 would have to be able to do the same but the asymmetrical bottom are likely not suitable in conjunction with the Sagework. I would probably need to use a strap, but that isn't a deal breaker at all.
Old 08-21-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:

While the X7 is marketed mostly as a travel guitar, I have that covered with the OF660 and I'm interested in the X7 for what I would consider to be more of a full-size guitar for my needs (14.25 lower bout over Journey's 12.00"). My only concern is how it would sit on my lap. I feel like the X7 design for all of it's wonderful bevels and contours are lost on many players. What I mean is look at all the videos out there- most are either crossing their right leg over their left to prop up the guitar, lifting their right leg with a foot stool or swinging the guitar way back toward their right hip where the asymmetrical wedge and rib bevels don't even meet their body.

I use a Sagework on my Journey to give me about a 40 neck angle and it enables me to sit upright for ideal posture. The X7 would have to be able to do the same but the asymmetrical bottom are likely not suitable in conjunction with the Sagework. I would probably need to use a strap, but that isn't a deal breaker at all.
I've got a chair with the footrest ring around the bottom and used a strap about half the time for the X7, but recall the X7 being good on the soffa. I also thought about getting one of those "neckup" things, but haven't tried one. But again, I'm 5'3", so millage will vary. I also would be happy with the X7 as a "full size" guitar and if I can get one with a thinner neck, I'll buy one.

Wonder if these are any good: https://www.neckup.com/GS-1.html
Old 08-21-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwestbound View Post
I've got a chair with the footrest ring around the bottom and used a strap about half the time for the X7, but recall the X7 being good on the soffa. I also thought about getting one of those "neckup" things, but haven't tried one. But again, I'm 5'3", so millage will vary. I also would be happy with the X7 as a "full size" guitar and if I can get one with a thinner neck, I'll buy one.

Wonder if these are any good: https://www.neckup.com/GS-1.html
The NeckUp is a great product that is trusted and been around for a long time. For a tall person with a parlor sized guitar I would recommend something more supportive with adequate height adjustment like the Murata, Sagework or Guitarlift.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:23 AM

Found this page with current reviews of a long list of guitar leg support reviews and more. Nice reviews and several supports I'd never heard of before. I found it useful.

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.co...port-ergoplay/

(just scroll down the page for many, many more support reviews)

Last edited by ac; 08-22-2021 at 03:30 AM.
Old 08-22-2021, 11:13 AM

For what it is worth, my old OF660 did not work for me because I like to use the Quick-Draw capo that sits on or above the nut and can then slide down to whatever fret you want...the Journey has some extra thickness on the neck below the nut that did not allow that capo to work. My Emerald X7 works just fine with that capo. Otherwise, I did not notice a lot of difference between the two necks.
1916 Gibson A-1 Mandolin
2023 Joe Foley bouzouki
Seamus O'Kane bodhran
Old 08-22-2021, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcginnis View Post
For what it is worth, my old OF660 did not work for me because I like to use the Quick-Draw capo that sits on or above the nut and can then slide down to whatever fret you want...the Journey has some extra thickness on the neck below the nut that did not allow that capo to work. My Emerald X7 works just fine with that capo. Otherwise, I did not notice a lot of difference between the two necks.
Can't recall, but I think that black plastic string guide screwed in just behind the nut is to maintain tension when the neck is off. I'm assuming that guide is the problem. I don't know, but I suppose one could apply the KLOS travel guitar removable neck methodology. The OF660 string guide could be removed, I guess, and a capo could be left on the strings to maintain tension on the tuning machines while the neck is off.
Old 08-25-2021, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Steelvibe, not sure where you are located (blue square and all) but if you are near Cadillac, MI you are welcome to try mine out for size.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
[/B]

Steelvibe, not sure where you are located (blue square and all) but if you are near Cadillac, MI you are welcome to try mine out for size.
I would love to play it but it is a very long drive from Colorado. Looking forward to your thoughts on you new X7. Congrats!
Old 09-24-2021, 06:20 PM

Location: I live in Winter Garden, FL use to live Washington DC area.

Ok this is a little offtrack as to make of guitar. So far for me this discussion was what was on my mind. I would like some opinions on how the McPherson Touring Guitar neck compares with the other two especially the Journey OF660. If anyone has that experience.

Thanks!
doc
Old 12-14-2021, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docyoung View Post
Ok this is a little offtrack as to make of guitar. So far for me this discussion was what was on my mind. I would like some opinions on how the McPherson Touring Guitar neck compares with the other two especially the Journey OF660. If anyone has that experience.

Thanks!
doc
I went into some history for research purposes and saw that nobody had responded to your inquiry. I own an OF660 and have played the Touring multiple times. The Journey is a heftier neck and more rounded shaped. Not like Taylor or Breedlove, beefier than those brands. However, not nearly as chunky as a RainSong N2 or NS.

McPherson calls the Touring and Sable necks a soft-V shape. It is less rounded at the shoulders than the OF660. I can agree with that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber