The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-07-2020, 05:26 AM

Default Learning the G Major Scale Patterns-CAGED

I've memorized the first and read up on how important it is to learn the major scales but I still don't understand why this is important or exactly what it means. Is there a good resource you all have seen. Seems the more I read the more confusing it gets. Everyone seems to approach it from a different perspective.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:32 AM
Charter Member

Depends on what you are trying to play. Personally for what I want to play I never found memorizing scales of much import, but then I am usually playing chord melody when the melody note location is often tied to some chord movement and where the melody note wanted often is some chromatic note.

More commonly thinking about interval practice, say "God Bless America" on one string or across strings.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-07-2020, 06:33 AM

The essence of the CAGED system is the five major chord shapes that give you a full arpeggio all the way up the fretboard.

The shapes run up the neck in C-A-G-E-D order, overlapping, with C following D again in a cycle.

Here's how it works for a G major chord:

Code:
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10  11  12  13  14  15
E|---|---|-G-|---|---|---|-B-|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|---|-G-|
B|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|---|-G-|---|---|---|-B-|---|---|---|
G|---|---|---|-B-|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|---|-G-|---|---|---|
D|---|---|---|---|-G-|---|---|---|-B-|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|
A|---|-B-|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|---|-G-|---|---|---|-B-|---|
\__G shape___/    \___D shape___/    \__A shape__/
         \__E shape__/   \____C shape___/     \___G shape____/

When arranged up the neck in this pattern, every one is a "G" chord soundwise, because they all contain the same three notes: G (root), B (3rd), D (5th). The pattern beyond 12th fret is the same as from zero.

Notice each shape is named after the chord that shape produces when in open position. E.g., 0-2-2-1-0-0 is an E chord, and if you add 3 frets to get 3-5-5-4-3-3 then it's a G chord (sound) while looking like an E shape.
This is where this system can get confusing, if you forget whether you're talking about a sound or a shape.

When it comes to scales, then the major scale wil obviously fit around these shapes, adding the other 4 notes (A C E F#).

The great advantage of this system over other scale pattern systems is the link to the chord shapes - because those shapes are easy to see and to memorise. If you learn the positions of root notes (on strings 6, 5 and 4) then you always have 5 options for any major chord you want to play.
Moreover, you can pick any neck position, and play all the 12 major chords within the same 4 or 5 fret space, using whichever of the 5 shapes fro each one is closest.

And btw - it's only five shape names, but it applies to all 12 major chords. E.g., for an F chord (sound, the notes F-A-C), it begins with an "E" shape on fret 1 (1-3-3-2-1-1), and then runs up in the same patterns as above, just 2 frets lower.
Old 08-07-2020, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

I think that if you have a good foundation in major scales and the CAGED system, you can use that to help you quickly get into a tune that you're trying to learn, or perhaps trying to write.

You've got the G major scale under your belt, and let's say you have familiarity with the G chord positions up the neck using the CAGED system. Take a look at this video of Ernie Hawkins teaching a great Rev Gary Davis song in G. You'll recognise those G chords moving up the neck straight away. Yes, it's not an easy tune to play, but the knowledge that you've got already can help you understand what's going on in the tune. I guess what I'm suggesting is a practical application of your learning to help you consolidate your knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61wJZfCMpLk&t=107s
Old 08-07-2020, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Code:
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10  11  12  13  14  15
B|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|---|-G-|---|---|---|-B-|---|---|---|
G|---|---|---|-B-|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|---|-G-|---|---|---|
D|---|---|---|---|-G-|---|---|---|-B-|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|
A|---|-B-|---|---|-D-|---|---|---|---|-G-|---|---|---|-B-|---|
\__G shape___/    \___D shape___/    \__A shape__/
         \__E shape__/   \____C shape___/     \___G shape____/

This is so simple, but when I try to say it, it comes out way
more wordy... The above ascii chart really packs a wallop when
it comes to saying a lot of important stuff concisely ...

-Mike
Old 08-07-2020, 08:57 AM

For me the CAGED thing was an "a-ha!" moment when I realized the G shape was the same notes as an E with a capo on G. Then noticing how a D shape was two frets away from being a C shape.

It wasn't until I started using a capo a lot and transposing songs in different keys did the CAGED thing become useful. If you're just strumming w/o a capo maybe it's not that relevant yet, but I think it's valuable to think in terms of chord shapes and how they work up and down the neck for the same chord.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:27 AM

Let's think in terms of 'immediate goal'. Right now what do you want to play? If you want to strum or finger pick chords while you, or someone else sings or plays a melody then knowledge of the G scale or any other scale has no value. You can learn it if you want but it will have no relevance to your playing. It's useless.

If you want to learn to play like someone famous using tab found online then again scale knowledge is irrelevant.

If you want to write songs or tunes, same thing. Did Lennon and McCartney know their scales? What they had was excellent memory for sounds and how to get the sounds they wanted with their voices and guitars.

Knowledge of scales does have it's uses. If you are a flat picker and you want to improve your already impressive flat picking skills then scales and their patterns on the fret board are a good starting point for exercises and practice.

If you want to improvise then scale pattern knowledge is a useful road map.

A good teacher will introduce just the right amount of material at just the right time. Too much stuff, too soon, can muddle a student and waste time. If you want to learn this scale stuff because you think you ought to know it, then perhaps it is too much, too soon, and get on with playing and learning how to play.

If at some time in the future you think you really need to learn this stuff in order to do something you are currently trying to do, then go for it.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:48 AM
Charter Member

Did Lennon and McCartney know their scales?

I learned the pentatonic scales by mistake by learning
to pick out a bit of lead in Let It Be. I didn't know that
there was such a thing as the pentatonic scale. I
plucked out the notes in the little lead part. I didn't sound
like them but still, I plucked out the notes. Then I
realized I could play those same notes in both directions
on the fretboard. By the time I was done fooling around
with it, I had found the pattern and where it repeated.
After that, I found I could slide the pattern around until
it fit into, like, any song. So... I learned the pentatonic
scale from them. This was in the 70s, so no Internet,
computers were things you hiked to campus and
wrote cobol programs on...

-Mike
Old 08-07-2020, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcatluth View Post
I've memorized the first and read up on how important it is to learn the major scales but I still don't understand why this is important or exactly what it means. Is there a good resource you all have seen. Seems the more I read the more confusing it gets. Everyone seems to approach it from a different perspective.
An example:
If you know the E minor pentatonic scale (same as the blues scale without the blue notes) and play that scale over the 1-4-5 chord progression of Em (E7) A (A7) B7, you are playing the key of Em which is the relative minor of G major. (Three frets above E)
You can basically play the same Em pentatonic scale (but you change the root note to G) and play the 1-4-5 chord progression of G C D and that becomes the G major scale.
In short; play the Em pentatonic scale (Using E as the root note) then play an Em or E chord. You are in the key of EM
Then play the exact same Em scale using G as the root note and then play a G Major chord and you are in the key if G major.
You will hear the difference.
Transfer the concept from key to key. Learn the major keys and their relative minors.

It’s a hard thing to wrap your head around but but once the light bulb comes on it’s easy peasy.
I‘M not sure if I explained it well but.....
Good Luck,

Blues

Last edited by BluesBelly; 08-08-2020 at 06:58 AM. Reason: Fix typo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write