The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-27-2010, 03:04 PM

Default Help! iMac and KRK Monitor hum problem

Got some KRK Rokit5 monitors for Christmas. Hooked up the pair via 1/8th stereo plug, split to individual RCA's and am getting a hum and slight interference noise. When I plug into my ipod and it goes away-clean as a whistle. I plug in my JBL computer speakers and no problems there. I've tried different cables and combos I have around here. A buddy takes his KRK's out of an interface firewired to his iMac with no problems. I have modern wiring, powerstrip, no fluroescents or other weird electrical on the circuit.

Clean on ipod, noisy on iMac. Thoughts?
Old 12-27-2010, 03:24 PM

Laptops are notorious for having audio ground loop and buzz problems. Try the speakers connected to your laptop without the power supply connected to the laptop and see if that resolves it. If it does, you will need to connect via a device that allows you to isolate the grounds between the speakers and the mac.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:34 PM

Thanks. I'm sorry I should have been specific. I have the iMac 27", not a laptop. Any other thoughts perhaps?
Old 12-27-2010, 04:53 PM

Well, thus far I have turned the monitors way down in back to almost off and turned up the computer volume and cut the itunes volume back a bit. That eliminates most of it. Not gonna get to crank as loud as I had hoped, but it must be somewhat like a gain stage issue. Unless someone has other input - pardon the pun
Old 12-27-2010, 08:18 PM

Did you happen to try a different 1/8" cable? I have run into a lot of issues when I use cheap cables.

My guess is as above...something to do with the ground. Is there anyway that you can use your USB or FW800 port instead of the headphone jack?

Have you tried adjusting the volume via the Preferences? Have you tried restarting while everything is in place? I often run into audio problems when I add a "new" component, but it is almost always resolved by restarting.

A heads-up, Mac's are notorious for blowing the headphone jacks if you plug in active monitors while they are powered on.

Hamer Korina Artist
Hamer Daytona
Martin 000-28EC
Cordoba 1a Flamenco
Fender American Vintage Tele 52 RI

DIY Home
Old 12-28-2010, 12:45 PM

The fix was:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062214

A $17 RadioShack Ground loop eliminator. Whisper quiet on mute now.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZ View Post
The fix was:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062214

A $17 RadioShack Ground loop eliminator. Whisper quiet on mute now.
Excellent!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD