The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-11-2010, 01:05 PM

Default Mixer recommendations

I have recently been laying down tracks on Garage Band. I've been using an old Shure mixer to run my mike and guitar through, and am wondering what clean, easy to use 2-channel mixer do people use and recommend. I'm looking to spend $100 or so.

Thanks in advance.

Joel

*To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king.* Bruce Cockburn
Old 12-11-2010, 04:05 PM
Charter Member

You can buy a fairly inexpensive Beringer mixer that has 2 XLR channels for <$100. http://www.americanmusical.com/Item-...-XENTX802-LIST

I prefer Mackie but they are more money.

- Glenn
Old 12-11-2010, 04:19 PM

+1 The Behringer Xenyx 802 will do you nicely.

-Raf
Old 12-11-2010, 05:15 PM

thanks for the suggestion. I did a little internet search for the Behringer and it looks good. I also checked out the Mackie 402. It looks good too, though is more expensive. I'm ok with spending a little more if it means a better value. Any thoughts? They both look like they have exactly the features I would need for recording and coffee house use.
Joel
Old 12-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl View Post
thanks for the suggestion. I did a little internet search for the Behringer and it looks good. I also checked out the Mackie 402. It looks good too, though is more expensive. I'm ok with spending a little more if it means a better value. Any thoughts? They both look like they have exactly the features I would need for recording and coffee house use.
Joel
Hi Joe…
I own the Behringer and it's fine, but the Mackie will be quieter, and a better piece of equipment.

I'm not anti-Behringer, and if it's for occasional use the Behringer is a good value. If it's long term, go Mackie.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-11-2010, 05:31 PM

Thanks Larry. I guess I was kind of leaning toward the Mackie. Thanks for the confirmation.

Joel
Old 12-11-2010, 06:48 PM
Charter Member

Hi Joel,

I agree with Larry, I would lean toward the Mackie, as well.

Regards, Glenn
Old 12-11-2010, 09:19 PM

GC has a $20 off coupon for purchases of $99, plus there's a $10 Mackie rebate. Mackie is looking better all the time. Too bad we're stuck in the middle of the biggest snow storm in 20 years, or I'd have gotten it today.

Christmas Day: 'Ooh, what's this? A Mackie mixer? How did you know? And it's the right size.'

Life is good.

Joel
Old 12-11-2010, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
.... Christmas Day: 'Ooh, what's this? A Mackie mixer? How did you know? And it's the right size.'

Life is good.

Joel
Very Nice! You made me smile!

- Glenn
Old 12-11-2010, 10:15 PM

I think the new Yamaha mixers are very good values and worth checking out. There are a lot of features for the money...right in your budget...see here

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 12-12-2010, 08:16 AM

Thanks alot, Bob. I was all set to get the Mackie and now I have to research the Yamaha. Actually, it appears to have more functions. Though do I want/need more functions? Do more functions translate to less overall quality? I tend to prefer basic over bells and whistles, but...

Decisions, decisions...

Joel
*To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king* Bruce Cockburn
Old 12-12-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Thanks alot, Bob. I was all set to get the Mackie and now I have to research the Yamaha. Actually, it appears to have more functions. Though do I want/need more functions? Do more functions translate to less overall quality? I tend to prefer basic over bells and whistles, but...

Decisions, decisions...

Joel
*To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king* Bruce Cockburn
I have the MG124c mixer. I've used many mixers over the past 40 years, and I have to say that this is as good as any I've used. I play live through it and record with it because of its stereo capability. I like the ability to pan each input, the phantom power for condenser mics, and the compression control is pretty good. The sound is clean and quiet and the EQ is very good. There is also a bass roll-off switch that cuts sounds below 80Hz, so it tames the boom of some of my guitars. All of the tracks on the sites in my signature were recorded through my Yamaha mixer...so that should give you a sample of how it sounds. There is also a sample in the thread about recording vocal and guitar simultaneously.

Obviously, if money is no object, there are more expensive mixers available, but I'm not confident you will get a significant and noticeable increase in sound quality.

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)
Old 12-14-2010, 08:05 AM

I spoke with a GC employee who actually seemed to know what he was talking about and he said I'd be very pleased with the Mackie. So, I went ahead and got it.

Can't wait til Christmas.

Thanks for your input, guys.

Joel

*To be held in the heart of a friend is to be a king.* Bruce Cockburn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD