The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-17-2016, 05:01 PM
Eric Skye

Default Recommend Me Good Bach Book

Can anyone recommend a good book on Bach, that ideally is only in standard notation, intermediate level, or even beginning to intermediate, and ideally presented as progressive studies?

Last edited by min7b5; 01-17-2016 at 06:31 PM.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:15 PM

You might begin here.

http://www.amazon.com/CLASSICAL-GUIT.../dp/1569221855
Old 01-18-2016, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good book on Bach, that ideally is only in standard notation, intermediate level, or even beginning to intermediate, and ideally presented as progressive studies?
Hmmm...that might be tough to find. Are you looking to teach the material, or is this just for your own playing enjoyment?
There are obviously lodes of Bach transcriptions out there for guitar, starting with the popular lute and cello suites, partita, preludes, inventions etc...and all are available first and foremost in standard notation.
Some of it arguably "easier" than others from a playing point of view, but that's all very relative and debatable. It's all pretty challenging and complex stuff when you really get down to it. (At least as far as I'm concerned!)
As such, I don't recall ever coming across any Bach compilation that was quite presented that way, i.e. in progressive levels of playing difficulty, which is how I understood your question.
There are some books, from a guitar playing point of view, in which the works deemed to be easier, more intermediate and/or advanced are part of a broader compilation, for example, dealing with the baroque period, or maybe as part of a gigging book of popular "classical" pieces, but none specifically on Bach that I know of.
Maybe I could make better suggestions if I knew more about your intentions for the material.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 01-18-2016, 03:19 PM

Default Bach for Guitar

'Bach for Guitar' edited by Martin Hegel and published by Schott is really good. Great fingering, all very clear and decent transcriptions. I would say easy (but not beginner) to intermediate level. I use it with many pupils and is an accessible intro to Bach. Good luck with it.

Best wishes

Jonny

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical