The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-31-2013, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Bridge lift on my CA ox

I've had my 2009 ox about 3 weeks. I strung it up with a set of John Pearse 600 s and as I was tuning it up I noticed that the center of the bridge is lifting slightly. Took the tension off and it went back down flat. I tuned it to concert pitch and now I can get a .50mm pick in the gap. No gap at either end! Also notice the soundboard is slightly distorted at both ends of the bridge. I think I have a problem. Can a good luthier fix this or should it be done by a carbon fiber guy, or can I fix it myself?? Has anyone had this happen to them? Thanks, John.
Old 08-31-2013, 10:48 PM

I have a 2009 GX and my bridge seems rock solid. As they aren't part of the mold, but glued on, I imagine a dollop of whatever glue is appropriate would fix it. I have no idea of what that glue might be, though. I'd take it to a decent luthier, personally.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-01-2013, 06:39 AM

This thread from a few years ago at MacNichol.com forums might help:

http://macnichol.com/forum-post/2649
Old 09-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for the replies. i just got done sending CA an email. See what they say and go from there. Thanks again, John
Old 09-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Back in 2007, right out of its case, as I was tuning my newly-arrived Composite Acoustics Bluegrass Performer with Fishman Onboard Aura for the first time, the bridge peeled away from the guitar's top along its rear edge/top interface! Sent it back to the dealer the next day!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-03-2013, 08:48 PM
Charter Member

I think this guitar sat for awhile, possibly hanging on the wall, before I bought it. The seller told me it was from a collection, and get this, when I took it out of the box, tuned it up and started playing about a dozen baby spiders came marching out of the sound hole. While this doesn't have anything to do with the bridge problem, I thought it to be somewhat humorous. I would tend to believe that the surfaces weren't properly cleaned of mold release or other gunk before they were assembled. Thus causing a poor bond. Anyhow, it's a keeper and we'll either fix it or have it fixed and go on!!
Old 09-07-2013, 02:36 PM

Default Mine Also!

I am getting ready to re-attach the bridge on my CA OX for the third, yes third time. I had it done by a local luthier here in AZ the first time. Lasted maybe 6 months. I did it myself the last time about a year ago. Used 2 ton epoxy and it lasted about a year. Did a better and cleaner job than the local shop. I travel on planes with this guitar all the time, and sometimes I have to gate check it. The last two times the bridge has lifted it was gate checked. I believe they do try to not beat it up to much when it's gate checked but i think it just ends up with a bag leaning against the case and putting pressure on the bridge/strings.
I just received an SKB hard case to try and remedy this problem.
Love this guitar, just consider it the cost of traveling with it. Hopefully the hard case will help with the problem.
If anyone has a better idea than 2 ton epoxy speak up please.
Justin
Taylor 914 Cindy
Taylor T5 Koa
RTaylor Moon and Koa
Carbon Acoustics OX
Old 09-07-2013, 04:15 PM

Rainsong uses bolts. You could see how and where they place them and the technique they use as it seems to work great, gives that added assurance, and doesn't affect the sound.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Rainsong uses bolts. You could see how and where they place them and the technique they use as it seems to work great, gives that added assurance, and doesn't affect the sound.
+1 For RainSong! In addition to the three small bolts, they also use an adhesive to keep the bridge where it belongs.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM
Charter Member

Question

Just got an email reply from CA customer service. I had asked them how to remove the bridge, what cleaner or solvent to use, and what adhesive to reattach it with. They wouldn't disclose what products to use but recommended I ship it to either Austin, Tx. Or Atlanta to shops there that have successfully done bridge reattachments on these guitars. They recommended this due to the precision required in assembly!!! Possible insult to my intelligence ?? Maybe, maybe not! So, how do we finish removing the bridge? With heat like a wood guitar or....?? Any advice would be welcomed! Thanks, John
Old 09-09-2013, 04:55 PM

Did you check out the thread I posted a link to earlier from the MacNichol.com forum? On the second page, there is a quote from a CA guy explaining how to do this.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:50 PM
Charter Member

Thanks, mchalebk. I missed that first time around. I think that's enough info to get started!! Thanks so much, that's exactly what I was looking for!!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Finally got the bridge reattached on my ox! Good thing I did it when I did, as it came off really easy with just some heat and a little spatula work. Wasn't held on by much. Reattached with 2 ton epoxy. The worst part of the whole job is glue cleanup! Had to stay after that until the epoxy started to set. Anyway it came out well. I played it at church last Sunday and it sounds and plays good. Thanks to all of you for advice and help. It was greatly appreciated! Oh yeah, just got a new Behringer euro live B205D monitor. Lookin forward to playing with that. Thanks again, John
Old 09-26-2013, 07:47 PM

Glad to hear you got it fixed. I've never played an OX, but they're supposed to be very nice guitars. I'm sure it will serve you well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber