The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-07-2013, 01:23 PM

Hey Jody,

Saw you posted that you sold the Rainsong. Like I mentioned in our PM exchange, I have a CA OX. I don't know if you can get your hands on one down there to try it out, but it is a wonderful small bodied guitar. 15" lower bout with 4" depth. It also has a contoured back to fit better up against your body.. Mine is a pre-Peavey model. I haven't played any of the post-Peavey models, but I don't believe they changed much.

A quick search on CA's website shows dealers in Lawrenceville and Griffin, GA. I don't think those are too far from Atlanta.

Mark
Composite Acoustics OX Raw (with Element)
Eastman AC712
Art and Lutherie Cedar Antique Burst Dread
Old 07-08-2013, 12:56 AM

I'm not far at all from Griffin. I may ride down tomorrow and check them out. I never mind going to a guitar shop!

Thanks!!
Jody
1994 Koa Goodall KGCC, Circa OO Maple, Wingert Model E, 1970 Gibson SG, Rainsong Shorty, Kanile'a Koa Tenor Uke, Keith Young Mountain Dulcimer, Jerry Read Smith Hammer Dulcimer
Old 07-08-2013, 03:41 PM

Default I'm In!

Well, I've joined the club! My limited edition custom shorty with gloss finish is ordered! I have a 12 fret OO Circa and it handles,DADGAD beautifully so I decided to add the 12 fret OM body to the family. I've read so many raves here about it, and Lisa, your experiences with it in lowered tunings really reassured me. About two weeks, and she will arrive. Thanks for all the insights and advice!! I also have a Mono bag coming for all the OM sized guitars in the fold.

Thanks!!!
Jody
Just wanted to add that Ted at LA Guitars was great! Thanks, Ted!!
1994 Koa Goodall KGCC, Circa OO Maple, Wingert Model E, 1970 Gibson SG, Rainsong Shorty, Kanile'a Koa Tenor Uke, Keith Young Mountain Dulcimer, Jerry Read Smith Hammer Dulcimer
Old 07-08-2013, 04:44 PM

Awesome! Let us know what you think when you get it .
Composite Acoustics OX Raw (with Element)
Eastman AC712
Art and Lutherie Cedar Antique Burst Dread
Old 07-08-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itself View Post
I keep my Shorty tuned down one whole step to D. I had my guitar tech set it up for this specifically, and it works brilliantly. And I play with a super low action and it sound so rich. I have played her in alternate tunings and it just shines. A proper set up is the key to making this work.
Lisa, thanks so much for this comment - it prompted me to ask about set up for the guitar I've ordered. I like to keep my guitars tuned down a whole step for standard tuning, and play in some open tunings as well. Despite playing for quite a few years, I don't know much about things like set up, and it's always just been hit or miss if a guitar works well this way for me. So thank you!
Old 07-08-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyB View Post
Well, I've joined the club! My limited edition custom shorty with gloss finish is ordered! I have a 12 fret OO Circa and it handles,DADGAD beautifully so I decided to add the 12 fret OM body to the family. I've read so many raves here about it, and Lisa, your experiences with it in lowered tunings really reassured me. About two weeks, and she will arrive. Thanks for all the insights and advice!! I also have a Mono bag coming for all the OM sized guitars in the fold.

Thanks!!!
Jody
Just wanted to add that Ted at LA Guitars was great! Thanks, Ted!!
Yeah Jody, you will LOVE the Shorty Forum Limited Edition model! The Shorty sounds divine in DADGAD!! Also, the Elixir Polywebs are super sweet on her.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 07-10-2013, 01:35 PM

I just ordered a custom TRC from Bill Nichols for my Shorty. Sea turtles done in abalone with white plumeria blossoms. Both have meaning for me and I think it will look great on the Shorty. I have to send a tracing of the TRC when the guitar arrives as he says Rainsong TRCs can vary. He's also aware of the need to keep it thin, having done work for other Shorty guitars. Should be a beautiful addition to an already beautiful guitar!
Old 07-10-2013, 02:00 PM

I have a CO-OM1000N2 and totally love it. Really great sounding guitar, records better than anything I have. Surprising volume too.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JodyB View Post
I just ordered a custom TRC from Bill Nichols for my Shorty. Sea turtles done in abalone with white plumeria blossoms. Both have meaning for me and I think it will look great on the Shorty. I have to send a tracing of the TRC when the guitar arrives as he says Rainsong TRCs can vary. He's also aware of the need to keep it thin, having done work for other Shorty guitars. Should be a beautiful addition to an already beautiful guitar!
Jody,

Awesome. I have been wanting to pull the trigger, and now that you have I will too! Bill Nichols makes beautiful TRCs.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber