The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-01-2020, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruppster View Post
Phew...I knew getting an Emerald would be entertaining but I thought that'd be from playing it, not from this drama as I anxiously await becoming a new member of the Emerald family.
Never a dull moment around here

It goes in waves - lots of Emerald love, then a ton of Rainsong praise, and most recently much positive McPherson comment. Rinse and repeat.

I guess we all love our CF guitars, and happily advocate for our favourite makers - but also should not be shy about voicing our concerns and criticisms when appropriate. I do believe that if someone does have an issue with an instrument, the first port of call should always be the dealer or maker they got it from, not here. It's only fair.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions when your X20 arrives!
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-01-2020, 12:23 PM
Charter Member

If I can *try* to be a voice of reason here...I think EVERYONE who has chimed in on this thread (including MCP850) agrees on one thing -- whether any of us Emerald owners have had any issues or not -- we would ALL purchase an Emerald guitar again. We are all, for the most part, extremely happy with the product.

My main reason for posting was to see whether or not the buzzing & fret issues I experienced was the exception rather than the norm, especially since this is my first composite/CF guitar. If someone said "yeah that is expected" or "yeah frets can tend to lift over time", etc....then I can know what to expect. That's why I said in my first post that perhaps the issue I was experiencing was trivial. Just wanted to set reasonable expectations for myself by gauging the forum, many of whom have owned many composite guitars for a long time.

The secondary issue I (and others) was voicing was that for such a high-end instrument, we just want to make sure Emerald makes greater efforts to improve their QC. Even great companies can improve, and that's all we are asking for, especially if we want to purchase more Emeralds in the future. So, maybe some here wanted to hear more on exactly *how* Emerald plans to improve QC, etc. Perhaps something like that is not best conveyed on a forum such as this, but I believe that was the reasoning for those types of comments...

I think we're all saying the same thing, but voicing it differently. We're all in agreement that Emerald is a great company with a great product.

Even so, anyone can still improve.

Best to everyone.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhturbo View Post
If I can *try* to be a voice of reason here...I think EVERYONE who has chimed in on this thread (including MCP850) agrees on one thing -- whether any of us Emerald owners have had any issues or not -- we would ALL purchase an Emerald guitar again. We are all, for the most part, extremely happy with the product.

My main reason for posting was to see whether or not the buzzing & fret issues I experienced was the exception rather than the norm, especially since this is my first composite/CF guitar. If someone said "yeah that is expected" or "yeah frets can tend to lift over time", etc....then I can know what to expect. That's why I said in my first post that perhaps the issue I was experiencing was trivial. Just wanted to set reasonable expectations for myself by gauging the forum, many of whom have owned many composite guitars for a long time.

The secondary issue I (and others) was voicing was that for such a high-end instrument, we just want to make sure Emerald makes greater efforts to improve their QC. Even great companies can improve, and that's all we are asking for, especially if we want to purchase more Emeralds in the future. So, maybe some here wanted to hear more on exactly *how* Emerald plans to improve QC, etc. Perhaps something like that is not best conveyed on a forum such as this, but I believe that was the reasoning for those types of comments...

I think we're all saying the same thing, but voicing it differently. We're all in agreement that Emerald is a great company with a great product.

Even so, anyone can still improve.

Best to everyone.
Well put. Thanks
Old 05-01-2020, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Never a dull moment around here

It goes in waves - lots of Emerald love, then a ton of Rainsong praise, and most recently much positive McPherson comment. Rinse and repeat.

I guess we all love our CF guitars, and happily advocate for our favourite makers - but also should not be shy about voicing our concerns and criticisms when appropriate. I do believe that if someone does have an issue with an instrument, the first port of call should always be the dealer or maker they got it from, not here. It's only fair.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions when your X20 arrives!
Yessir! I am still looking forward to playing your X20 one day UNLESS ... you spill Corona on it (though throw in a bit of lime and it will be great). Just as Red Green says on the show, we say to Emerald ... we're pullin' fer ya!

It is great that Emerald does so much custom work. Most of these companies come up with designs that seem popular, and then build those, maybe with a special area for custom orders. But it seems as if Emerald IS custom orders with a few "Standard" models thrown in. That is very unique and, judging from the threads around here, very well accepted.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-01-2020, 04:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Yessir! I am still looking forward to playing your X20 one day UNLESS ... you spill Corona on it (though throw in a bit of lime and it will be great). Just as Red Green says on the show, we say to Emerald ... we're pullin' fer ya!
I can assure you, Tony, that there is absolutely zero chance of my spilling Corona on it. I only drink real beer.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-01-2020, 05:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
I can assure you, Tony, that there is absolutely zero chance of my spilling Corona on it. I only drink real beer.
Ha! Maybe this whole situation wouldn't have happened if somebody had not spilled his or her Corona. Glad to hear you would never have been the culprit.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-01-2020, 06:40 PM

I have two Emeralds a Red X20 and a Green X7 ( Version 2). They a great guitars - no custom woods or necks or anything. I bought them in 2016 and 2017. I have had no issues with them. I think when they were doing more standard stuff and the owner was doing the final inspection they had less issues. It happens when a company grows. But I think the issues people are talking about are major issues from a customer perspective. I do not have any skills to reset frets or measure to find out what the problem is, i just want the basics of a guitar to work. I think that if the lead time needs to move out to make sure what goes out is good - then Emerald need to do what it needs to make sure its customer gets what he (she) thinks he is paying for. I also have two Rainsongs and a McPherson ( that company is fanatical about quality!). I love the Emerald story and their guitars - but these kind of issues need to subside so future US customers do not get spooked. By the way - labels are not a big issue for me.
Old 05-01-2020, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishrep View Post
I have two Emeralds a Red X20 and a Green X7 ( Version 2). They a great guitars - no custom woods or necks or anything. I bought them in 2016 and 2017. I have had no issues with them. I think when they were doing more standard stuff and the owner was doing the final inspection they had less issues. It happens when a company grows. But I think the issues people are talking about are major issues from a customer perspective. I do not have any skills to reset frets or measure to find out what the problem is, i just want the basics of a guitar to work. I think that if the lead time needs to move out to make sure what goes out is good - then Emerald need to do what it needs to make sure its customer gets what he (she) thinks he is paying for. I also have two Rainsongs and a McPherson ( that company is fanatical about quality!). I love the Emerald story and their guitars - but these kind of issues need to subside so future US customers do not get spooked. By the way - labels are not a big issue for me.
Thanks for your input. Glad your 2 Emeralds have no issues! Mine is almost perfect now that I got the fret issue mostly resolved. The beauty of my X20 -- in tone, comfort, and sheer looks -- definitely outweighs the damper that I experienced with the buzzing. Imagine if Emerald implements a more stringent QC process -- it would make what is already an excellent company into an exceptional one!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber