The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-30-2008, 04:43 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed12 View Post
Apparently the new offset soundhole models are meant to kick out some serious low end but still with the GX body size and overall tone...might be worth looking into (I know I am!!)
speed, since you're looking into buying one of the "i" (offset soundhole) models, as am I (7iM-CE, high-gloss) based on my satisfaction with the Cargo, I'll share what I've come to know about the color choices -- carbon burst in particular in case that's what you're interested in.

I had my heart set on a "carbon burst" based on pics of the other CA models in that color finish (no pics are currently available of the 7iM in carbon burst or tobacco burst). However, having seen a pic recently posted by JasonA of his 5iM-CE with the "natural" top finish (that fades to charcoal) where the bracing pattern shows through, I wanted to know if the "carbon burst" finish would also allow the bracing pattern to show through.

I inquired with CA by email and they have confirmed to me that like the "natural" finish, the carbon burst top finish will allow the bracing to show through. It seems there's no way around it due to the integrated top bracing unless you buy a painted blue, red or tobacco burst. Some may like seeing the bracing pattern, some may not. Based on the pic I've seen of JasonA's 5iM, personally I don't like it. Although I find the blue and red interesting (as pictured on the CA website), I doubt I will over the long-term. As for the tobacco burst, I sorta like it, but a part of me doesn't want a composite guitar that looks like faux wood.

I'm REAL torn 'cause I was ready to pull the trigger. I think I'm going to wait until I can see quality pics of the 7iM-CE in carbon burst and tobacco burst. If neither works for me, then I'll wait and see if CA figures out a way to offer the 7iM in carbon burst without the bracing showing. I'm not really interested in other CA models, at least at this point.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:25 PM

Just having a look at the CA site and they've actually deleted Carbon Burst from the colour choices of the 7i so obviously they think its a problem.

From the pictures of that 5i, personally it wouldn't bother me a huge amount. As you said, although the blue or red look good, I think after a while it would wear a bit. I'd much rather take a 99% cool looking carbon burst with the braces showing a bit than a colour that I might go off pretty soon.

If the carbon burst wasnt available even as a special order, I'd probably actually consider the 5i in charcoal. I believe the overall construction/tone is the same, just with a satin finish...which really wouldnt bother me at all (i'm definitely in the gutiar is a tool not a piece of art camp if you hadnt noticed!!)...and its a bit cheaper as well!

If you manage to get any high quality (or any quality really!) 7i pics in carbon burst then I would love to see them!

mark
Old 04-30-2008, 05:47 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
If you manage to get any high quality (or any quality really!) 7i pics in carbon burst then I would love to see them!

mark
I'll make sure you do. I don't know where you're located, but chances are you'll be seeing a 7iM in a guitar shop somewhere long before I do. If you do, please have a camera with you and send me some pics, regardless of the color! Thanks!
Old 05-01-2008, 01:15 AM

Unfortunately I definitely won't be seeing one anytime at all, I'm over in the UK and so would be buying totally blind!
Old 05-01-2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:

If the carbon burst wasnt available even as a special order, I'd probably actually consider the 5i in charcoal. I believe the overall construction/tone is the same, just with a satin finish...which really wouldnt bother me at all (i'm definitely in the gutiar is a tool not a piece of art camp if you hadnt noticed!!)...and its a bit cheaper as well!
Actually...after having looked at some of the pics of the charcoal 5i and Cargo on the CA website, I think I actually prefer it! One of the main reasons for wanting to go for a CA is so I can take it camping or whatever and not be too bothered about it....and with an RT finish that would just make it easier! I'm a big fan of satin finishes anyway (my electric has one and my Martin back and sides are satin) and the slight metallicness of it looks cool....almost like your playing a stealth bomber!

Acousticado, I believe your cargo is in the charcoal finish yeah? ANy comments on the finish? looks wise and feel/playability.

(plus, its cheaper so I could keep my Martin as well!! Winner!!)
Old 05-01-2008, 07:28 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Acousticado, I believe your cargo is in the charcoal finish yeah? ANy comments on the finish? looks wise and feel/playability.
Yes, I have the charcoal, and "stealth" is how I describe it. The body finish has a sandpaper texture to it but it's smoother on the neck. I like it. The only thing is that you have to be careful in your playing technique so your fingers/hand doesn't "scratch" along the top because it creates a noise. It would be particularly noticeable if playing amplified. My technique is fine, but it does force you to avoid this which is a good thing IMO because it forces good technique. IMO, the neck playability is like a Taylor. This little guitar has great volume, bass and balance across the strings. Intonation is quite good.

If I didn't have the charcoal Cargo, I'd probably want the 5iM in charcoal for the same reasons. However, because I do have the charcoal Cargo, I really wanted a 7iM in high-gloss carbon burst (without the bracing showing through). Looks like that's not going to happen. I emailed CA last evening asking if they might offer the 7iM in entirely high-gloss black. I think that would look quite cool. I think I'd like that and would order one. I haven't heard back yet.

Last edited by Acousticado; 05-01-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:31 AM

One thing I like about the RT finish is the lack of fingerprints. On the gloss black every little thing is visible!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonA View Post
One thing I like about the RT finish is the lack of fingerprints. On the gloss black every little thing is visible!
True, that did cross my mind. But I assume it'd be a simple cleaning.
Old 05-01-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Yes, I have the charcoal, and "stealth" is how I describe it. The body finish has a sandpaper texture to it but it's smoother on the neck. I like it. The only thing is that you have to be careful in your playing technique so your fingers/hand doesn't "scratch" along the top because it creates a noise. It would be particularly noticeable if playing amplified. My technique is fine, but it does force you to avoid this which is a good thing IMO because it forces good technique
Yeah, fair point. I don't think my technique means that that would be a problem, but as you say, if it is then its good as it forces you not to do it and so hpefully improve your technique! This is going to be a random question and to be perfectly honest not of great importance, but what grit number sandpaper would you say the body is like (I'm guessing its not like 200 grit or something, you'd shave the skin on your fingers off otherwise!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I emailed CA last evening asking if they might offer the 7iM in entirely high-gloss black. I think that would look quite cool. I think I'd like that and would order one. I haven't heard back yet.
Ooh yeah, that would look awesome! That would be a VERY tough choice between the Charcoal 5i and a gloss black 7i!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber