The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2002, 09:04 AM

=( due to a mix up the installation won't happen for another week, at least. I'll keep you all posted.

Blessings,
Old 05-13-2002, 07:25 AM

In case anyone's missed it, there is an interesting interview in the current issue of Wood & Steel with Richie Furay (Poco, Buffalo Springfield).
He talks about his career in the music business and his conversion to Christianity and subsequent leadership role in starting a church in Boulder. CO.

blessings,
Mark
Old 05-13-2002, 09:08 PM

Hey Mark:

Just finished reading it tonight. Good article and good witness by Rick.

blessings
Old 05-14-2002, 05:42 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Iwas impressed with how much of a platform Taylor gave Richie Furay to tell about his life and beliefs. Usually, a company will excise that stuff as off-topic (at best) or possibly alienating to a segment of the audience (at worst). I had heard some of the story. It was nice to get the whole story of both his conversion and his view of the reasons the Buffalo Springfield didn't fly.

It also gives another peak into the "neighborhood" structure of the late '60s early '70s California music scene. Many of the most famous bands were nothing more than local bar bands who lived in the right neighborhood to "get noticed".

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-15-2002, 08:17 PM

I think it says something about Bob T and many of his staff. I was talking to Doyle Dykes after a clinic in Phoenix last year and he told me he did a medley of hymns and praise songs when he was first asked to play for Bob T and staff before signing on as a clinician. He noticed them mouthing the words along as he played and there was an instant bond. The Lord has a way of bringing people together.

"Constantly wrong but never in doubt"

2007 Gibson ES 335
2004 Taylor 814ce (engelmann top)
2001 Taylor 712ce (Sold
1962 Gibson ES 330
1961 Gibson Hummingbird (Sold)
1936 Kalamazoo K36 Archtop
Old 05-15-2002, 09:27 PM

That's a cool story John. I know Doyle used to be a Pastor...he's an awesome brother in the Lord.

Blessings,
Old 05-16-2002, 11:58 AM

Default yes phill keaggy is great!

what a day is a classic song and i learned it back in about 75. i heard him in 74. he is why i learned to play plus larry norman randy stonehill the talbot brothers. still can't play it very well, but i do keep a les paul just for that song. put switch in middle position bridge pickup at and do swells with neck pickup. although now i am a pagan.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:22 PM

Renee:

Can't say that I know any of the music that you are referencing. I'm surprised as I am 42 years old and 1975 was "my era".

Sorry to hear that you have turned from Jesus. We love the Lord here and really don't intend on getting into doctrinal discussions on this thread. It's proven in past threads that they get quite negative. However, I'm sure many of us would welcome private email based discussions with you...

God bless,
Old 05-23-2002, 07:11 PM

hey, I have a kind of confusing situation right now. I was hoping that maybe someone in here could help me out. Ok, I would like to start a worship service for junior high and high schoolers at my church. The problem is, well, I'm Catholic, and I don't think that the priest at my church is very receptive to the more contemporary Christian music....sadly. I have ZERO experience in trying to start something in a church setting so I was wondering if anyone out there had any information, advice, anything! I was thinking about taking a poll in the church to get an idea of how people felt about the idea, but I dunno... what do ya'll think? I appreciate the help!

2003 D-28
My modified Epi Dot
Old 05-24-2002, 07:27 AM

Greetings. I hope I can help you with your problem. I do have some advice although it might not be good advice it works for me. Our goal is to reach as many people out there for Christ. Some of the Last words in the Bible were "Go out and make Disciples" Therefor we are required to do this. I suggest you approach it this way. Take your Pastor/Father to the nursery (have some nursery music playing like Jesus loves me that kinda stuff) and explain to him That this is the approiate music for there age. Yes I like that music but I would not like to listen to it every week much less worship to. But it is great music for there age. Much the same we have to do for our Jr. Highers and High Schoolers. It is my belief that we need to reach them at "THERE" level in Christ. Jesus alway reaches us at the level we are at and then we learn how to become more intimate with him. I hope this helps you out. I used to do this and I have great resources. I still subscribe to Spin 360 so if you need anything I am willing to help you out just email me

[email protected]

God Bless and I will be praying for you

Rich Rodriguez
Old 05-25-2002, 12:54 PM

I like Rich's approach. Don't make it seem you're going behind your priest's back or over his head. That could turn it into a turf war. If you can keep it we're-both-on-the-same-side, how-do-we-best-reach-this-age, I think you will be far better off.

When you start, you might consider keeping it pretty mild, and inviting your priest to visit. If you try to be too cutting edge from the beginning, you may shoot yourself in the foot in terms of support from the church. Blessings.

cotten
Old 05-26-2002, 08:21 AM

Donny--just as a little encouragement--Catholics were among the first to use a modern Praise and Worship music format. Way back in the 60s and 70s they called this service a "folk mass". By all means talk to your priest about your ideas. Remember he is called to provide spiritual oversight to his congregation and you want to make sure what ever you do is under his authority. Keep us posted as to how it goes.

"Constantly wrong but never in doubt"

2007 Gibson ES 335
2004 Taylor 814ce (engelmann top)
2001 Taylor 712ce (Sold
1962 Gibson ES 330
1961 Gibson Hummingbird (Sold)
1936 Kalamazoo K36 Archtop
Old 05-26-2002, 09:42 AM

Donny:

You may want to try doing updated guitar version of older traditional music. This has worked well for me in the past. Much
of contempory Christian music, just can't be used in a Mass. You have to pick you spots.

Good Luck
Old 05-26-2002, 05:22 PM

A few of us contractor types organized a benift praise service and cookout for a young man injured in a fall. He's only 21 and his wife 22. He sustained 2 severly broken ankles and a broken back. We put together a praise service that saw 6-8 different groups of performers ranging from early 20's to mid 40's. What a time we had...such a sweet fellowship...and we raised $1900 for these two precious young people. They were so thabkful (we had kept it a secret until they arrived) and so moved .

They were blessed but we were blessed even more.

Mortimer

Making sense out of senselessness
Old 05-27-2002, 02:27 PM

Speaking of Praise and Worship, I had a very unsuccessful post regarding a new worship album that I played bass on. The two songwriters used Taylor 810s. This has been a dream of theirs for about seven years or so, and I think it came out pretty good. Sound samples and info on the record at:
http://www.exodusworship.com
Thanks for the space.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification