The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-06-2019, 10:47 AM

Default Neck Reset (Missing Wood parts)

Hi,
I have an old Ukulele that needed a neck reset.

By removing the neck i damaged the wood at the body a bit.

I Wonder whats the best way to repair it. I think about making a paste out of wood dust and wood glue to fill the small gap.
But i dont know If it would bei stable enough when i put body and neck together later.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:55 AM

A picture of the damage would help. But I would suggest fitting a piece of matching wood in the gap. Be sure to fit the piece in as tightly and as well fitted as you can.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:59 PM

Here are some pictures:

The "good" side:

the "bad" side:

I think it would be hard to find some fitting wood, its very uneven..
Old 12-06-2019, 03:25 PM

That's not bad at all. When you go to glue everything back together just poke a bit of glue under those splinters and you will be good to go. Clamp everything up of course.
Old 12-06-2019, 04:15 PM

I can't tell for certain but it looks to me like it could have been repaired once already with 5 minute epoxy.

Using aliphatic resin (Titebond, etc.) requires tight wood to wood contact, which you don't have here. Furthermore, if that's epoxy that I'm seeing in your photo, I'd say you have no choice but to glue it again with epoxy. If you do use epoxy, use the slow set stuff.

OR, you can clean everything up down to raw wood, redrill the hole larger, cut the existing dowel off and replace it with a larger dowel and use either Titebond or hide glue. However, shortening the neck will change your scale length and the saddle slot will either need to be recut or the bridge moved.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair