The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-14-2017, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
I've played a handful of Cort acoustics, most of which were in their "Earth" series. They were actually pretty impressive. So much so, that I bought my middle son a Cort Earth 70 for his first acoustic. It blew away the Yamaha FG700. I have no doubt that the Cort in question is a very nice guitar, and could probably meet your needs very well. It probably plays and sounds great, and it obviously looks nice, if you're into all the inlays, etc.

The Martin D28 (or D18), on the other hand, is a world renown, classic acoustic guitar model that has earned the reputation as one of the greatest acoustic guitar models of all time. Sight unseen, there is really no comparison between the Cort and the Martin. I'd be shocked if anyone on this Forum would recommend to you the Cort over the Martin. If you are going to purchase the guitar without playing either first, get the Martin (provided you can afford it). "Objectively", the Martin is the best choice.
yes i agree martin is the best, just curious if the 3-4x price is worth it, while cort have better specs. Wish i could try them out so i can easily decide hehe

Btw what do you think on the clip comparation on #3 post?
Old 03-14-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slianto View Post
yes i agree martin is the best, just curious if the 3-4x price is worth it
That is the million dollar question that gets asked here most everyday.
Only you can answer for yourself.
I would be totally happy with the Cort.
But if money was not an obstacle then I would buy the Martin.
Why? I don't really know.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
yes i agree martin is the best, just curious if the 3-4x price is worth it, while cort have better specs. Wish i could try them out so i can easily decide hehe

I thought the videos were fine. Both guitars sound good. They just sound different. The important question is how did they sound to YOU? Did you like the sound of one over the other? If having the Martin name, reputation, and proven high quality are important to you, then the Martin is well worth the extra cost. In fact, most people would say the Martin is worth every penny of it's cost. However, if those things aren't that important to you, you may feel like you're getting a better "deal" with the Cort, which again, seems to be a very fine guitar.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
That is the million dollar question that gets asked here most everyday.
Only you can answer for yourself.
I would be totally happy with the Cort.
But if money was not an obstacle then I would buy the Martin.
Why? I don't really know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnbys View Post
I thought the videos were fine. Both guitars sound good. They just sound different. The important question is how did they sound to YOU? Did you like the sound of one over the other? If having the Martin name, reputation, and proven high quality are important to you, then the Martin is well worth the extra cost. In fact, most people would say the Martin is worth every penny of it's cost. However, if those things aren't that important to you, you may feel like you're getting a better "deal" with the Cort, which again, seems to be a very fine guitar.

I can't try them both side by side, so in this situation, I only could rely on the Martin big name, Though i'm not brand minded person, If i like the sound of non-brand better then I would take it.

Or maybe I will wait till I can visit singapore and try them both (not side by side, different store), I look online and I think sweelee at sg dont have martin anymore, but they have cort earth le2 md, and then visit citymusic for martin.

But then .... after some thought, I got some enlightment..
Cort is good. Martin is best.

I think there's no point going for High End Cort... (wasting $)
since High End cort still isn't a Martin anyway. .

Some part of me says, go Corts for low end model, dont waste too much on this (earth70,earth100 is enough, for daily careless use, training, travel, friends, camp, etc) and go Martin D18/28 for private use and enjoy the sound.

Maybe it's wise that way..
So...I will need to saving $$$$ again for Martin

or if It's too much trouble to buy overseas such as shipping damage, warranty, setup, or price (it's charged as luxury tax, ouch), then I have no choice. (if it's impossible to get a martin here with reasonable price, then i will go for high end cort).
Old 03-15-2017, 04:17 AM

Quote:
I can't try them both side by side, so in this situation, I only could rely on the Martin big name, Though i'm not brand minded person, If i like the sound of non-brand better then I would take it.

Or maybe I will wait till I can visit singapore and try them both (not side by side, different store), I look online and I think sweelee at sg dont have martin anymore, but they have cort earth le2 md, and then visit citymusic for martin.

Some part of me says, go Corts for low end model, dont waste too much on this (earth70,earth100 is enough, for daily careless use, training, travel, friends, camp, etc) and go Martin D18/28 for private use and enjoy the sound.

or if It's too much trouble to buy overseas such as shipping damage, warranty, setup, or price (it's charged as luxury tax, ouch), then I have no choice. (if it's impossible to get a martin here with reasonable price, then i will go for high end cort).
I have Martin D-18 and Cort Earth 70, it is pretty good combination.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:21 AM

Quote:

I used to sell refurbished guitars on Ebay (years ago). I have played and sold both the Earth 100 and 200. I highly recommend both. The 200 had a solid back and top and had excellent volume and tone.

Good luck in your search!

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 11-22-2019, 03:36 PM

Default Cort LE2

Hi to everyone here.

Thank you for your varied input on this topic. I was looking for some info on this model since I had a great offer (999 euros new) but could not find so many reviews in magazines or on the internet.

After a week of hesitations, I have purchased it (mine is from China, not Korea with Madagascar Rosewood and AAA Spruce). I must say that it is absolutely beautiful, without any flaws. The wood are extraordinary, the neck and the setting (action) are comparable to the best I have seen on a new guitar whatever the price. I own a Larrivée D05, a D09, a Gibson J200, a Furch D33 SR, a Seagull, Farida and Yamaha LL16. To answer the initial question on this thread, no, the Cort is not comparable to a Martin D28. But this is not in termes of crafmanshio but only soundwise. The Martin sound woody and with dominant basses, the Cort is more balanced and modern sounding. It is close to the Larrivée D09. Very articulate, clear and classy. The frequency are even but rich and very piano like. I am totally amazed by this guitar for the price I paid. The looks and quality is in the league of the pro lines of Larrivée, Gibson, Martin, Taylor. It is far superior to my Yamaha and Seagull. Similar guitar I have tried recently was a Larson Bros made in France by luthier Mayrice Dupont which cost 3,400 euros. The settings, details, sound are fantastic. I am so happy having paid it less than 1,000 euros. Everybody coyld not believe their eyes when I received it. It has to distress a little since it sounds a little new but the potential is there.

I hope this will help. Again, mine in Chinese and not Korean.

Alex

Last edited by Aliks; 11-22-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Old 11-22-2019, 04:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

Martin is "the best" in the comparison between Cort and Martin? Or Martin is just "the best"? Because I could've bought many Martins in my 35 years of playing, and have yet to choose a Martin over the other American brands that I have chosen (mostly Breedlove, Gibson, and Guild).

Anyways... I have never played a Cort that I was impressed with, but it's been a while since I played one (and never an acoustic). Chinese imports are getting VERY good. In fact, I sold my three Spanish-made Cordoba flamencos, instead buying about a dozen Chinese Cordoba classicals and flamencos. So I have NO qualms about buying Chinese if I like what I'm playing. So if a Cort speaks to you, then by all means, go for it. In the past year alone, I've bought many instruments ranging from a $500 Chinese Guild 12-string, to a $2,500 Gibson Montana mini-jumbo, a $3,000 Avalon, to the $3,500 koa Breedlove that I brought home last week. I don't get hung-up on country of origin. If I like how it plays and sounds, that's all that matters to me. Forum cred based on my discretionary purchasing power doesn't mean anything to me either (which is one of the reasons I don't list my guitars in my signature).
Old 11-22-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I've been looking in to this Cort Earth Le2 MD (Limited Edition), i like the material (solid madagascar rosewood, and solid sitka top AAAAA), wood binding, etc.

the price here is around $ 850. I think this is the high end series for cort acoustic which is not for mass production, some korean said this limited edition is handled carefully by cort's luthier (i don't know the if this true or not). But all high end cort now made in China, no Korean factory anymore. for low end series it's made in Indonesia.

They also have the new limited edition on 2017 (maybe later when arrive at my country, price estimated around $1200-$1300) which is upgrade from previous version, the only diff is wood binding using blackwood instead flamed mapple, bridge+fingerboard=ebony instead of rosewood, and top using torrefied european spruce AAAAA instead of sitka spruce AAAAA, and madagascar rosewood on headstock.

I just can't decide which one to be my next guitar between this cort or martin d-28 or d18....

what do you think?can this series of cort can at least compete with martin? maybe the sound/tone just a little bit below martin is ok for me, considering the price also far below martin...

too bad i can't try them out, since the store on my city don't have the stock.

here's the specs and looks:

Earth-LE2 MD NAT
http://www.cortguitars.com/ko/produc...dx=526#specs_t

korean review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGXLwXpEIjM

Earth-LE2 MD NAT
CONSTRUCTION Dovetail Neck Joint
BODY Dreadnought
NUT WIDTH 43mm (1 11/16")
TOP Solid Sitka Spruce(AAAAA)
BACK & SIDES Solid Madagascar Rosewood
NECK Mahogany + Rosewood + Mahogany 3PC
BINDING Flamed Maple
FRETBOARD Rosewood Fingerboard
FRETS 20 Frets
SCALE 25.3" (643mm)
INLAY Abalone + Mother of Pearl(수선화 문양)
TUNERS Gotoh SGL510(GOLD)
ROSETTE Abalone + Green Wood
BRIDGE Rosewood

Earth-LE2 MD NAT Torrefied
http://www.cortguitars.com/ko/produc...Word=&idx=1103

korean review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJt-a-AXeSQ

Earth-LE2 MD NAT Torrefied
CONSTRUCTION Dovetail Neck Joint
BODY Dreadnought
NUT WIDTH 43mm (1 11/16")
TOP Solid European Spruce(AAAAA)
BACK & SIDES Solid Madagascar Rosewood
NECK Mahogany + Rosewood + Mahogany 3PC
BINDING Blackwood
FRETBOARD Ebony
FRETS 20 Frets
SCALE 25.3" (643mm)
INLAY Abalone + Mother of Pearl(수선화 문양)
TUNERS Gotoh SGL510(GOLD)
ROSETTE Abalone + Green Wood
BRIDGE Ebony

I own a Cort earth ad with solid hog back and sides. It's a very well made guitar that has some loud volume. I like the guitar and play it alot.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:34 PM

To add to my previous post, the LE2 Cort we are talking about has nothing to do with with any of the other standard Cort Earth series. I can tell because I have owned 2 of their cheaper Earth series and sold them with no regret. Correct cheap guitars but that cannot be played after touching a higher end big brand instrument. They sound muted and have no overtones and complexity.

The Cort LE2 is another league. Again I compare it here with models that are sold in the 3000 euros or dollars that I have owned or tried. They can sound different and have their own personality but this very model is an exception in thieir range. It is more to be compared with a custom shop masterbuilt or signature for famous endorsers which have nothing to do with the standard models everybody could find in a store. It doesn't mean I am not longing for a Martin as well in my colection but it will have to be one their higher end classic models to compare with this Cort. It is that good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion