The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-31-2019, 08:16 AM

Default spider cancer new soundboard see last reply

Hi folks,
In our area we say: "the cat cannot stop chasing mice"
I suppose you perhaps would say: "A leopard doesn't change its spots".
A new spider with different woods and some acessory details and a lot of fun during the building procedure.
As wood Tobias Traub ( https://www.oroboruscustoms.com/ ) and I have choosen a nice sinker cedar as soundboard, a yew as back and a dummyback with katalox.

It's always breathtaking to imagine the closed box with this woodcombination.
Looking forward to the next steps and hope you will enjoy the thread.

guitarchie

Last edited by guitarchie; 08-23-2022 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:33 AM

Default the back and it's bracing

hi folks,

meanwhile the back is cutted and the bracing is clued. So I hope soon looking at the soundboard and the sides.

all the best guitarchie
Old 10-02-2019, 09:42 AM

Default spider cancer bracing

hi folks,

meanwhile the soundboardbracing is ready and I'm still looking forward to the next steps. Honestly I have to say that it seems to be a long time to play it first time on the holy grail guitarshow in Berlin, the end of the trail.

all the best
guitarchie
Old 10-02-2019, 05:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

That Spider is a wild design! I’m not sure what a dummy back is. Is the Katalox going to be an outside laminate?
Congratulations on your build!

Mark

“Let me make the songs of a nation, and I care not who makes its laws.”. Andrew Fletcher
Old 10-03-2019, 02:22 AM

Default spider cancer dummy back

dear Mark,

thank you for your friendly comment.
In my knowledge the yew is a very thin, responsive inner back with the bracing, you have seen in the further pics, which needs some shelter for the outer stress. Therefor Tobias uses an outer back as shelter, the dummy-back, here with katalox, that receives an own bracing and an own lining to bring the connection to the sides. It's not laminated to make it more stiff, it's more the opposite to let it swing. (I hope my english is good enough to explain it.)
This dummy-back needs a lot of soundholes to bring this responsive effect out.
This build will be the sister to my spider scorpion with some nice features and I was very impressed of the result of this construction and I'm really looking forward to the new one.
I suppose the next steps and pics will demonstrate the construction.

all the best

guitarchie
Old 10-16-2019, 11:38 AM

Default the dummy back

Hi folks,

it seems to go on and meanwhile the back is clued in und the lining for the second (dummy-back) is prepared.
Looking forward to the closed soundbox.

all the best

guitarchie
Old 11-02-2019, 08:27 AM

Default spider cancer soundbox

Hi folks,

I'm happy to announce that the soundox is closed and the soundholefunnel is going to be milled.

all the best

guitarchie
Old 11-02-2019, 08:31 AM

I have to say it is all looking great, but I am still confused on the back. Is there a space between the yew and the Katalox then with holes drilled into that space
and if so to do what?

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:24 AM

Default dummy back

Dear Tom,

the luthier, Tobias Traub wanted to create a guitar with a responsive back, So he produced it very thin back with it's own bracing but he made the experience that it was too vulnerable to mechanical force. So he decided to lay a second back over it with it's own bracing and it's own lining. But the result of that responsive box has nearly disappeared with htis "dummy-back". So he tried to cut some soundholes in that second back and the soundbox brought a quite clearer and stringer voice than without these backs.
This new buidling has an older brother, the spider scorpion and perhaps -if you like- you can hear it on the thread about this guitar.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...pider+scorpion
I honestly would like to present it on your guitarapolooza but from good old germany it's a quite longer way than to "Tipperary". So I hope I could explain it clear enough with my german english.
By the way what does it mean "guitarapolooza" ?

all the best

guitarchie
Old 11-02-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarchie View Post
Dear Tom,

the luthier, Tobias Traub wanted to create a guitar with a responsive back, So he produced it very thin back with it's own bracing but he made the experience that it was too vulnerable to mechanical force. So he decided to lay a second back over it with it's own bracing and it's own lining. But the result of that responsive box has nearly disappeared with htis "dummy-back". So he tried to cut some soundholes in that second back and the soundbox brought a quite clearer and stringer voice than without these backs.
This new buidling has an older brother, the spider scorpion and perhaps -if you like- you can hear it on the thread about this guitar.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...pider+scorpion
I honestly would like to present it on your guitarapolooza but from good old germany it's a quite longer way than to "Tipperary". So I hope I could explain it clear enough with my german english.
By the way what does it mean "guitarapolooza" ?

all the best

guitarchie
Thank you, that is all very interesting and I will investigate more. Guitarapolooza is really a made up word meaning a big party or festival...Octoberfest for guitars haha!!! You can still come, I have folks coming from Scotland and England!!! Ticket prices are cheap right now!!!
Old 11-02-2019, 03:52 PM

Default Like this

How is this?

spider guitar.jpg
Old 11-07-2019, 09:22 AM

Kind of like the 'Virizi Tone Producer' that Gibson used in the early thirties on some of their instruments. An interesting idea, I wonder what it would do if the sound holes were in the rear upper bout of the side, rather than the back - that way they could act as soundports.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:15 PM

Default spider cancer

hi folks,
it's a long way to a great guitar.
After the holygrailguitarshow in Berlin is cancelled - it should handled over at that event - it needs a little bit longer but meanwhile it's in good progress.
The box is ready and to me the scoop, the spiderform and the bevel come with a great harmony with the woods and the spiderform.
Next step will be the soundport and I'm really looking forward to that, also to the handmade custom case of Artur Benedykt.
Hope you enjoy it.
Keep healthy and strong

guitarchie

Last edited by guitarchie; 05-18-2020 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Genuinely interesting alternative take on my world!!!
Old 05-18-2020, 10:57 AM

Default cancer soundport

hi folks,
because of the cancelled holy grail guitar show in berlin, the timewindow is not fixed so strictly and I hope I will pick the first tunes on this spider at Pentecost.
But meanwhile I want to present the first pic of the not completely finished soundport with the cancer-inlay, the sign of the zodiac of many members of my family and relatives.
So I hope that the voice will keep, what the design is promising.

all the best

guitarchie

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop